DRM going into NAV

T_Downey

I'm extremely disappointed to read that Symantec will soon be putting DRM software into their anti virus products. Being a long time fan and user of NAV, it looks like I'll be looking elsewhere for anti virus products. :D

It's too bad that Symantec feels things have gotten out of hand enough to have to use DRM, but I do see where they're coming from. Their software is one of the most pirated software programs on the internet, with good reason (it's a good program, but they charge $40/year for a subscription). While I think the program is overpriced, that's still no reason to pirate it. I think the jump to DRM is a bit drastic, but if you think about it, what other options do they have? Microsoft's Product Activation is a pain (and has been hacked), and obviously the CD key system is worthless. That doesn't leave many options. If we didn't have software pirates, this wouldn't be an issue, but we do, and now it is. I'm not going to get into the software piracy issue because I don't know a single person who hasn't pirated something (yes I'm guilty too), and to be honest, I'm much more likely to pirate software like NAV versus a smaller, homegrown product (it's the issue of Symantec being a huge company that overcharges, what's one more person not paying for it). Currently, I don't have anything on my system that is pirated (if I can't afford a program, I'll run a freeware version (or trial version) until I can afford to buy it).

Guest LilBambi
I'm extremely disappointed to read that Symantec will soon be putting DRM software into their anti virus products. Being a long time fan and user of NAV, it looks like I'll be looking elsewhere for anti virus products. :D
Disappointed ... that was exactly how I felt as well...and for the same reasons.

Yup I agree - already looking at different options.As far as piracy - no matter what a company does it is going to happen. They could save a lot of money and time by just releasing their software as they always had. New forms of protection only gives em a challenge to crack it - who can be first and how fast. See on the news that the Windows 2003 server key code is out already and MS isn't happy about it, figure it was leaked right out of MS. It will always be and they will never be able to stop file sharing either, it's just nuts to think they can.My 2 cents