./configure

LLfan

Alright, I know the basc basics of compiling somthing:tar -xzvf file-2.1.tar.gzcd file-2.1./configuremakesu -c "make install"Right? Right.The problem is I have downloaded 2 games from freshmeat. Did the extract, did the change directory, but when I do ./configure I get a file or directory not found.I have done this in the past (installing kopete I believe) so it has worked. What can be wrong?

Every source tarball doesn't have a configure file; some just have a makefile. The README or INSTALL files should tell you how to install it.Alternatively, you can give a link to the file you downloaded...tranquilo

From the install: Installing the program----------------------As with any autoconfiguring GNU software, installation is as easy as this: $ ./configure $ make [become root] # make installFor a complete list of options that the "configure" script takes, type $ ./configure --help=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-That is why I don't get it! :) It says ti use ./configure

I download a .tar file and I always go to it thru the GUI and right click on it and select extract here and it puts it into a folder - I than in terminal go to the new folder and type ./configure ---- make ---- make installI always check the ReadMe file or Installation file first, it gives you a heads up on what it needs for the installation if anything is needed and other specific directions if needed.

Because when I clicked on the rmp link, it took me to that page. And it appeared to me that the only rmp files there were under a category called 'historical' so I figured they were not the most current.<edit> Ah, see, I had thought it was old.

Mike,You can extract the "bz2" files in Mandrake - if you have "MC" installed (it's on the Mandrake 9.1 CD's). Let us know if you'd like to go that route.BTW: Congrats!! on your "nVidia driver" install...when I told you "startx", thought you had all the editing done - sorry. :)

I just did bunzip2 to extract bz2 and got the tar out--and the tar is easy enough to extract. =)I have it all extracted to a directory...just doesn't seem to want to do the ./configure. Quint, no problem, not your fault. The important thing is I didn't break anything and the plus side is I got it working finally (thanks to all you kind folk). :)

MikeSince you said that ./configure did work on other installs I think you got gcc ( the c compliler ) installed . . . . Will you post here the result of:$ ls /home/mikeand $ ls /home/mike/<name_dir_program_you_want_to_install>:) Bruno

Desktop/ Documents/ NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run sept11/ tmp/distros/ Mail/ SDL-1.2.6-1.src.rpm themes/ Wallpaper/and[mike:~]$ ls /home/mike/Documents/downloads/alephaleph.dsp data/ marathon.dtdaleph.dsw docs/ MML Scripts/AlephOne-m2-demo.spec Expat/ PBProjects/AlephOne.mcp Extra OpenGL Docs/ Pfhormz Instructions.txtAlephOne-minf-demo.spec Extras/ Pfhormz.mcpAlephOne.spec.in FaderClassic.mcp Pfhortran_Release/AUTHORS INSTALL.BeOS Prefix/autogen.sh INSTALL.MacOSX READMEcarb.r INSTALL.MacOSX.Carbon Resources/changelogs/ INSTALL.Unix SDL_Net_Carbon.sitCheats/ INSTALL.Windows Source_Files/configure.ac Lua.mcp Speex.mcpCOPYING Makefile.am tools/COPYING.SDL

Mike,It´s a bit hard to see if you put more files on one line . . . but from what I can see you downloaded the wrong file ( ? )Do some research today, don´t try to install yet . . . . I have to go to work now and will be back online the usual time tonight . . we will pick up from there :):) Bruno

All right Mike here we go . . . I suppose you downloaded: "AlephOne-20030625.tar.bz2" Reading the release notes I saw it was a CVS . . . . . now, what is a CVS ??A CVS is a file in developpement, have a look here: http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/20.../cvs_intro.html Usually I would not mess with CVS files, only if I really really needed them, and I have done so in the past, but frequent patching is needed. And not patching with urpmi but the real thing.Allright, let´s take step two: when extracted you got a directory: "aleph" in that directory there is a file "INSTALL.Unix", sure you did read that file . . . B) . . . . . but it starts with:

As implied by its name, Aleph One/SDL requires the Simple DirectMedia Layer(SDL) library, available from the official SDL site:  http://www.libsdl.org/If you didn't install SDL from source, you have to install the "SDL-devel"package to compile Aleph One. ( ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ) :whistling:You also have to install the "SDL_image" and "SDL_net" libraries which can befound here:  http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_image/  http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_net/Support for Lua scripting, which may be required by some scenarios, requiresyou to have Lua installed. The source is available from the official Lua site:  http://www.lua.orgPrecompiled RPM packages of Lua can be downloaded from:  http://www.mupsych.org/~rrt/Lua
DONG !! Are you sure you want to go through all this ?? And to install any of these 5 extra packages, what new dependency issues will you come across ?? This is CVS what means there is a big chance your libraries will not be the same as the developers are using. . . . So, imagine that after a week of compiling packages all is installed . . . . I came across this :
To play Aleph One, you will also need Marathon graphics, sound and mapfiles. Unfortunately, Bungie has not released these files to the public, soyou must own a copy of Marathon 2 or Marathon Infinity (Marathon 1 datafiles don't work with Aleph One). For your convenience, I've created anarchive containing the data files from the freely available MarathonInfinity Demo, converted to the formats needed by the SDL version of AlephOne, which can be downloaded from my Aleph One/SDL page
. . . . . . and . . . . .
Alternatively, if you have a Marathon 2, Marathon Infinity or MarathonTrilogy Box Set CD, you can copy the needed files from the CD. This is a bitcomplicated, however, due to some ideosyncracies of the Mac HFS file system(every Mac file is really two files, one "data fork" and one "resourcefork"). Aleph One/SDL needs these files: "Images" (resource fork) "Map" (combined data and resource fork of "Map" file in AppleSingle or    MacBinary II format; or just the data fork, in which case the resource    fork must be in a file "Map.resources") "Music" (data fork, optional, not included in Demo) "Shapes" (data fork) "Sounds" (data fork)Here's how to copy these files from a Mac Marathon CD under Linux: 1. Mount the CD with the HFS file system (you will probably have to be    root to do this):  # mount -t hfs /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom    If you mount CDs on a different mount point, such as "/cdrom", use that    instead of "/mnt/cdrom". 2. Change to the right directory on the CD. This can be complicated because    of the Mac special characters in the directory names, but with TAB-    completion or copying and pasting you will succeed.  $ cd /mnt/cdrom/....    You should now be in a directory containing the above mentioned files. 3. The Linux HFS file system module has the useful property of handling    Mac data and resource forks and making them available as separate files    (the resource forks are in a hidden ".resource" directory). You can    now copy the files:  $ cp .resource/Images /usr/local/share/AlephOne/Images  $ cp Map /usr/local/share/AlephOne/Map  $ cp .resource/Map /usr/local/share/AlephOne/Map.resources  $ cp Music /usr/local/share/AlephOne/Music  $ cp Shapes /usr/local/share/AlephOne/Shapes  $ cp Sounds /usr/local/share/AlephOne/Sounds That's it.
That´s it ??? They must be joking ! . . Mike I like a good challenge, but . . . . Let me know what your thoughts are . . . B) Bruno

Yes, cd /home/mike/Documents/downloads/aleph/./configure-----------------------------------------------------Bruce, this isn't a challenge, it's an afternoon picnic for us. B) I'll bring the Mac cds! :whistling: I will trust your judgement and if you think it's not worth doing I wont--can't do it without my Scot's Newsletter friends. The game is not for me, it is for my wife as she loved playing Marathon when she was younger and when she saw it she freaked out in excitement. But, I downloaded a few games and she's pretty addicted to breakout so maybe she's forgotten. B) I also downloaded the RPM (SDL) library, ran it, and was told it is already installed.Your call bud.Mike

Hi Mike

I also downloaded the RPM (SDL) library, ran it, and was told it is already installed.
RPM´s sometimes do that if you just click on them . . . . try:rpm -ihv package.rpmThat will give a better chance it will work.B) Bruno( Bruce is my baby brother B) :whistling: )

Hi Mike
I also downloaded the RPM (SDL) library, ran it, and was told it is already installed.
RPM´s sometimes do that if you just click on them . . . . try:rpm -ihv package.rpmThat will give a better chance it will work.B) Bruno( Bruce is my baby brother :whistling: )
LOL, sorry about that. Bruce is a fellow from my help forum who'm Ive known for a long time and in moments of brain hiccups you'll have to excuse me.I'm going to wait a few days before I decide on whether or not to go through with this. BTW, I did take the lazy way out and clicked on the rpm. B) Guess that'll learn me eh? B) I'm a little fuzzy on what the 'h' will do. The 'i' installs, the 'v' shows us the files that are extracted, but what does the 'h' do?

MikeNo problem, just had a laugh :whistling: B)

-h, --hash[|=0x2]                print hash marks as package installs (good  with -v)
Do a rpm --helpina the console to get ALL the info about arguments . . . B)B) Bruno