Can IE8 be uninstalled like any other program?

redmaledeer

I have Internet Explorer 6 with Windows XP Home. I know I'm behind the times, but since I only use IE rarely, when all else fails, I haven't had much motive to change. My question: If I update to IE8 and don't like it, can I uninstall it in the usual way using Control Panel/Add and Remove, and revert to IE6? I believe it used to be possible to uninstall IE7 in the usual way and revert, and I was wondering whether this was also true of IE8. Thanks.

Hi Please follow this guide with regards uninstalling ie8 from xp To uninstall Internet Explorer 8, follow the instructions for your version of Windows. To follow these steps, you must be logged on to Windows as an administrator. Note If you are not sure which version of Windows that you are running, or if you need help verifying that you are an administrator, click here to determine your environment (http://support.microsoft.com/gp/admin) .Important You cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 8 if it is set as not removable. This occurs if you install Internet Explorer 8 before you install Service Pack 3 (SP3) for Windows XP. If this scenario applies to you, then you must uninstall SP3 before you can uninstall Internet Explorer 8. For more information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 950719 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950719/ ) You cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 7 or Internet Explorer 8 after you install Windows XP Service Pack 3 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

I would recommend not uninstalling IE8 if you have it installed. If you are still running IE6 I would highly recommend that you upgrade to IE8. As a web developer myself I am trying to encourage people to stop using IE6 and move up to IE8. Using another browser is also a good choice but even if you use Firefox exclusively you should still install IE8 if for no other reason for better security. IE6 is an attack vector for hackers and is the weakest link in your Windows security.

You cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 7 or Internet Explorer 8 after you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
This is incorrect. I just recently removed IE8 (because of bugs) in order to roll back initially to IE6 (because that will happen), then installed IE7 inthe subsequent MS update prompt.I had XP SP3 installed eons before updating to the tabbed version. What is mentioned in your posted link is this:
You cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 8 if it is set as not removable. This occurs if you install Internet Explorer 8 before you install Service Pack 3 (SP3) for Windows XP. If this scenario applies to you, then you must uninstall SP3 before you can uninstall Internet Explorer 8.

Hello,As with any major change to your computer environment, it is probably a good idea to make a complete backup (or two) before proceeding, just in case things do not go as planned.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky