HOAX: A new Virus warning

kamicota

Just received this from a griend--->>>TWO SUBJECT LINES of which to be AWARE Just verified this with Snopes and it is REAL. ALSO WENT TO TRUTH OR FICTION, IT'S on their site also. PLEASE INFORM EVERYONE you know! 1.) Emails with pictures of Osama Bin-Laden hanged are being sent and the moment that you open these emails your computer will crash and you will not be able to fix it! If you get an e-mail along the lines of 'Osama Bin Laden Captured' or 'Osama Hanged', don't open the Attachment!!!! This e-mail is being distributed through countries around the globe, but mainly in the US and Israel Be considerate & send this warning to whomever you know. 2.) You should be alert during the next few days: Do not open any message with an attached file called 'Invitation' regardless of who sent it. It is a virus that opens an Olympic Torch which 'burns' the whole hard disc C of your computer!!!! This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list, that is why you should send this E-mail to all your contacts. It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it. If you receive an e-mail called 'invitation', even though sent by a friend. Do not open it!!! This is the worst virus announced by CNN, it has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where other vital information is kept. SEND THIS E-MAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW!!!! Hope this is withing forum rulesCheers for YearsColin :yes:

Edited by Urmas

Just received this from a griend--->>>TWO SUBJECT LINES of which to be AWARE Just verified this with Snopes and it is REAL. ALSO WENT TO TRUTH OR FICTION, IT'S on their site also. PLEASE INFORM EVERYONE you know! 1.) Emails with pictures of Osama Bin-Laden hanged are being sent and the moment that you open these emails your computer will crash and you will not be able to fix it! If you get an e-mail along the lines of 'Osama Bin Laden Captured' or 'Osama Hanged', don't open the Attachment!!!! This e-mail is being distributed through countries around the globe, but mainly in the US and Israel Be considerate & send this warning to whomever you know. 2.) You should be alert during the next few days: Do not open any message with an attached file called 'Invitation' regardless of who sent it. It is a virus that opens an Olympic Torch which 'burns' the whole hard disc C of your computer!!!! This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list, that is why you should send this E-mail to all your contacts. It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it. If you receive an e-mail called 'invitation', even though sent by a friend. Do not open it!!! This is the worst virus announced by CNN, it has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where other vital information is kept. SEND THIS E-MAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW!!!! Hope this is withing forum rulesCheers for YearsColin :yes:
Colin these are hoaxes re-read the whole articles.http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/invitation.asphttp://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/osama.asphttp://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/o/osama.htm Edited by Frank Golden

FrankIF they are hoaxes - I honestly do not see what purpose they serve OR what pleasure they give the perpetratorsGuess I am still that NAIVE because I came away wanting to be more WaryCheers for YearsColin :yes:

Edited by kamicota

FrankIF they are hoaxes - I honestly do not see what purpose they serve OR what pleasure they give the perpetratorsGuess I am still that NAIVE because I came away wanting to be more WaryCheers for YearsColin :yes:
Colin, It's always good to be wary, especially with the net.Please read the articles. Crap like this has been going on for years, and yes some people get their kicks starting rumors like this.As for causing damage that can't be fixed, just remember that a reformat and reinstall will fix a virus infection.As a matter of fact even if you have done a "thorough" job with A/V programs and such removing a virus or trojan,the only way to be sure you have removed the infection is reformat and reinstall.

I've made it policy to NEVER open email from well-meaning friends trying to warn me about anything.Chances are that if it is legitimate, google will have an up to date tech/security site with the information.Bookmark some security sites and check in there while dumoping the email messages.

Don't feel bad, Colin. It is amazing how some of those things sound so real. What starts as a joke, ends up as someone's truth. However, there is a lesson there that we all need to be reminded of on occasion -- be wary of unsolicited e-mails, especially those with subjects like "Wow, Check this out!", "Can you believe this?" and a nasty surprise in the attachment. It won't burn the hard disc your computer but it very likely will do some damage.

V.T. Eric Layton

Colin,My rule of thumb when it comes to emails like this:They're almost ALWAYS bovine feces. I usually annoy the friends who send them to me by sending them a reply with the links to the REAL truth about whatever it is that I've researched. I do it to teach them, but it invariably p's them off. I guess folks just love passing this do-do around.Anyway, you did no harm. Your heart was in the right place. We know you well enough to know that. :thumbsup:

FrankIF they are hoaxes - I honestly do not see what purpose they serve OR what pleasure they give the perpetrators[...]
i don't get the point of the hoaxes either. a few years ago, I thought the perps were setting up a 'chicken little' situation but that never happened - and still hasn't.

V.T. Eric Layton

Hoaxes are perpetrated by the same folks who bash mailboxes and key your car at the mall... it's just random vandalism and annoying behavior.

friends who send them to me by sending them a reply with the links to the REAL truth about whatever it is that I've researched. I do it to teach them, but it invariably p's them off. I guess folks just love passing this do-do around.
I do the same thing, and for the same reason and get the same result.I may differ in that I send it to all the people the original was sent to thinking eveyone should know the truth. I have found that if I send the updates directly to the sender they fail to be passed to all the other addresses of the original email.The problem is, I think, the senders have low self esteem and being updated/corrected makes them less secure/important and thus mad.

V.T. Eric Layton
The problem is, I think, the senders have low self esteem and being updated/corrected makes them less secure/important and thus mad.
Good possibility, Ed. :yes: They sure don't like admitting that they were too lazy to check anything for themselves and just clicked that FWD button, anyway.

I may differ in that I send it to all the people the original was sent to thinking eveyone should know the truth. I have found that if I send the updates directly to the sender they fail to be passed to all the other addresses of the original email.
Which means that the sender didn't use bcc when forwarding the original to you and their list of friends. Most likely most of the people who also received it forwarded it to their friends, on and on, with your email address prominently displayed someplace in that mess.

Which means that the sender didn't use bcc when forwarding the original to you and their list of friends. Most likely most of the people who also received it forwarded it to their friends, on and on, with your email address prominently displayed someplace in that mess.
Yup.If a new virus is loose the best advice you can give someone is to make sure their AV is updated. Telling them to not read a particular email is a waste of time.