Phat Linux anyone?

quint

I've got a list of 125 linux distro's, phat is not one of them . . . . If I were you I'd go for Mandrake, known as THE newbie friendly distro.BrunoPS: do you have a link for Phat ? I like to try all flavors !UPDATE: found the site, they charge $25, I'll stick to free downloads for my experiments.(Mandrake download is free)

Quint:Mandrake is great, I have it for everyday use, on my second hd I like to experiment with other flavors of LinuxIf you're in for something new: Try VectorLinux, based on Slackware, ultimate stabillety, small distro,read the review at : http://www.madpenguin.org/article.php?sid=62Vector is brilliant, nice graphics, runs smooth !Download ( small version 200-300 MB ) ( SoHo version 700 MB ):http://www.vectorlinux.com/index.htmEnjoy,Bruno

Quint:Mandrake is great, I have it for everyday use, on my second hd I like to experiment with other flavors of LinuxIf you're in for something new: Try VectorLinux, based on Slackware, ultimate stabillety, small distro,read the review at : http://www.madpenguin.org/article.php?sid=62Vector is brilliant, nice graphics, runs smooth !Download ( small version 200-300 MB ) ( SoHo version 700 MB ):http://www.vectorlinux.com/index.htmEnjoy,Bruno
Thanks, Bruno, I'll give it a try. Hope it's for novice's. B)

That is a nice speed ! You'll be done in 10 minutes. . . . ;) :D Installing another 10up in 20 min ! Going for a world record are you ? B) Keep us informed.Bruno

Mandrake is great, I have it for everyday use, on my second hd I like to experiment with other flavors of Linux
Try FreeBSD, you'll junk Linux after being enlightened ;-)(yes yes not trying to flame here, I acknowledge that Linux is great. FreeBSD brings a nice flavour to the *nix world though, it's worth having a look.)

Install Windows first.If you want to install Linux or BSD next, it probably doesn't matter. The BSD bootmanager is cooperative, ie it boots other systems just fine. However it's ugly and unconfigurable - does the job, but nothing more, so if you want eyecandy you should probably install Linux last and use LILO.

Just read the howto's and the docs on the Vector site and you'll be allright !Bruno
Bruno, I downloaded, put on CD, tried and tried, and could not get Vector Linux to install! Downloaded from another site (thank goodness for cable) and did four complete burns to CD at different speeds, always showed successful, still no luck - I'm very disappointed; really want to try it out. So I d/l'd ASP Linux, a very good version. Simple install, very stable, like very much; but I still want to try Vector. Wonder if WinXP in dual-boot has anything to do with it? Wouldn't think so, as ASP, Lycoris, Mandrake, and IcePack work fine in a multi-boot with it. :D Any help would be appreciated,

Quint:Could you be a bit more specific where things go wrong installing VectorLinux. :D Does the computer not boot from the CD ? :D Does the screen go black half way the install ?Anyway give us some info and I'll try to pull you through. ;) BrunoPS: dual, tripple, multiboot can have no infuence at all on installing Vector

Hi, Bruno.The computer boots fine from the CD, gets to the screen to choose which kernel, then I press Enter as it says (default=pentide) for my system, it then seems to be doing it's thing for a second and then just stops. There is just a blank screen - black or dark grey. I've thought it needed time to install the kernel or whatever and left it on different occasions up to 25 minutes, tried both DVD and CD-RW drives, nothing doing. I even put it in while in Windows, and could see various files and folders, re-burned CD's from different sites, no success; then I read somewhere on the Vector site that it cannot be installed from WinXP, but I assumed this just meant while I was already booted to XP. Please excuse my novicehood, but it must just be some simple mistake I made, that I am overlooking. Any suggestions/help will be greatly appreciated.

Quint:I'm glad it does boot from the CD, that is one problem less !The story about XP just means that you can't install it from within XP ( boot XP and install does not work )Right, now to where I think the problem is: Just before you choose the kernel and press enter, with F2 (or F1) there are some more boot options you can look at. My guess is that it is your graphical card where you need to focus on.Just to give you an example: Here is a few lines from the Knoppix bootoptions: In case you have a Nvidiacard: Try this at the boot prompt: knoppix xmodule=nv|radeon|savage|s3 or if that does not work: knoppix xserver=XFree86|XF86_SVGASo press F2 and look what boot arguments you can give.I will do some research in case all this did not solve your problem.I suppose you did download VectorLinux 3.2 and not the SoHo versionDid you do the md5sum ?Bruno

Just found another tip:Try passing "nomce" along with the initial kernel call at the beginning of the install:eg.pentide nomceOR:If the cdrom is on the second ide controller, try passing ide1=nodma after pentide:pentide ide1=nodmainstead of just "pentide".There seem to be a large number of cdroms that do not dma access and this should disable it for you.Keep me postedBruno

Ok Bruno, thanks for the info; will be off-line soon, and then will try your suggestions, in the order given. Maybe this will enable me to give Vector a whirl. :lol: Thanks again,

Hi Quint thry the last ones first:pentide nomceOR:pentide ide1=nodmaThey are directly related to Vector !Good luck, and don't give up, there has to be a sulution to get it to work :lol: Bruno

Well, it didn't work. :lol: So, just to satisfy my own curiosity, I downloaded, burned CD, and installed a Linux version that I'd never heard anyone talk about. Was really wanting to find out if it was my inexperience, my machine, or possibly a bad download. Well, I am inexperienced, my machine is one that I just bought some parts for and assembled myself, and I still don't know why I can't install Vector Linux! <_< Oh, the Linux version I chose is ELX, and I am quite impressed. :lol: It was very easy for this novice to install, has been very stable so far, and it looks really good - but time will tell. I intend to eventually try Vector, but this ELX will be a good learning experience. Thanks for the help in my problems, but I've come to the conclusion that it's something I am not doing correctly.

ELX looks interesting.... (at least on the surface)... quint - how did you install it? On a second partition, different computer, or does it run from CD? Just curious... Haven't messed with many Linux distros (although I would like to get into it more).

ELX looks interesting.... (at least on the surface)...  quint - how did you install it?  On a second partition, different computer, or does it run from CD?  Just curious...  Haven't messed with many Linux distros  (although I would like to get into it more).
Used PartitionMagic 8.0 to create an EXT2 partition and Linux Swap partition (EXT2 - 7GB; Linux Swap - 500 MB). Then just put the CD I burned into the DVD drive and re-booted. It really has an excellent and easy GUI interface install menu, even for extreme newbies like me. ;) There is one problem, though: I hope you have broadband, because there are 2 "iso" files of about 650 MB each.

broadband is a definite yes... and even then their server must be a bit bogged down... I'm only getting about 28k/sec downloads...I may have to wait on this anyway... parents are supposed to be buying a new computer soon, which means I'll get their old one... (PII 300Mhz, 64Mb RAM, 4Gb HD)... this will make a perfect Linux test box... I'll still download ELX and keep it handy though... I'm just worried about messing with my system too much right now (it's my only system)... I don't want to screw it up any more than I already have! ;)

broadband is a definite yes... and even then their server must be a bit bogged down... I'm only getting about 28k/sec downloads...I may have to wait on this anyway...  parents are supposed to be buying a new computer soon, which means I'll get their old one... (PII 300Mhz, 64Mb RAM, 4Gb HD)...  this will make a perfect Linux test box...  I'll still download ELX and keep it handy though... I'm just worried about messing with my system too much right now (it's my only system)...  I don't want to screw it up any more than I already have! ;)
Wouldn't worry about messing things up, as long as you follow the directions in the install interface, I don't think you could mess anything! Mandrake has a very easy-to-use installer, but ELX is MUCH easier...seriously; and as I keep saying: I am a total novice! ;) Try it, you will like it.