Mandriva 2010 install

rolanaj

I'm thinking it might be because I just did a KDE install instead of a custom install and choosing both KDE and Gnome. The Plasma workspace isn't working I get the error

Unable to run the command specified. The file or folder file:///usr/share/applications/mandriva-grip.desktop does not exist.

Kmail can not access kwallet to get passwords and start up seemed really really slow. At this point I think my best bet is to just to another install but choose the custom install. One question though I am doing an install not an upgrade but leaving my home partition alone to save my settings and such. During install it lets me add root and one user I don't see the option to add additional users and everyone in the house here has their own profiles which I would like to save. (may not happen now but just wondering if I could)

securitybreach
I'm thinking it might be because I just did a KDE install instead of a custom install and choosing both KDE and Gnome. The Plasma workspace isn't working I get the error
Unable to run the command specified. The file or folder file:///usr/share/applications/mandriva-grip.desktop does not exist.

Kmail can not access kwallet to get passwords and start up seemed really really slow. At this point I think my best bet is to just to another install but choose the custom install. One question though I am doing an install not an upgrade but leaving my home partition alone to save my settings and such. During install it lets me add root and one user I don't see the option to add additional users and everyone in the house here has their own profiles which I would like to save. (may not happen now but just wondering if I could)

Yeah it sounds like you might want to reinstall.As far as saving /home, I would always recommend doing this especially if you have more data than you can backup like I do. As long as the profiles are stored in /home, you should be able to add the users later and set their /home to the mountpoints you previously used e.g. /home/rolanaj, /home/mary, etc. You should be able to do this easily in the MCC (Mandriva Control Center) or just open a terminal as root and:
 #adduser

and follow the prompts.

Well did the reinstall and the desktop is there there is a question mark in the taskbar and when I click on it I get the

Error - Plasma Workspace Unable to run the command specified. The file or folder file:///usr/share/applications/mandriva-grip.desktop does not exist.

still. Kmail is still acting weird, can't access kwallet it seems and when I give it the password for my email it just sits there with the Authorization Dialogue open doing nothing. I was able to add the other users during install during the configure phase which was kind of neat. Start up between restart and boot loader is really really fast, actually loading Mandriva not so fast.Oops I just realized what that error is about, I had a shortcut to grip there on my previous install and grip is probably not installed by default. :)

Edited by rolanaj

rolanajYeah, part of that slow is Mandriva((kde/process) trying to match up with what ever setting are carried over from /home, especially if th setting is from a program I may have omitted during the re-install process. As far as kmail goes, I would verify account setting etc etc...

Pssst . . . check your Gmail account, I did send a short How-To install. Specially tailored to your setup and use of the MDV 2010 DVD ;-) . . .after all you have been my "adopt a dial-up user" since: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=2711 :);) BrunoPS: Rolana, feel free to copy and paste those instructions in this topic if you think it would help other forum members at a later date. ( but please edit out the typos :) )

Thanks Bruno, I just read over what you wrote and I had done everything up to getting the updates with the last install, so hopefully when I do that part it will fix things for me.The adopt a user program is great, I can't thank you enough for sending me all those updates. Does anyone else still have an adoptee or adopter or was I the last one to go to broadband?