LilBambi Could Use Some Help

Scot

All,Just wanted to let you know that Scot's Newsletter Forums' Senior Moderator, LilBambi, has been without power since Hurricane Isabel hit her Virgina home and ripped part of her roof off. She lives in a very rural area, and the power company has not shown up! The big problem is the roof though.The moderators are taking up a collection to help out. We're asking for donations of money or for handy people to help out with the repairs.You can contribute to the LilBambi Hurricane Isabel Repair efforts by sending a contribution to the newsletter via PayPal:Donate to LilBambi's Hurricane Isabel Repair FundPlease send me an email at the same time and let me know that you sent $XXX amount, so I don't confuse it with a regular donation to the newsletter: scot@scotsnewsletter.comIf you're handy, in the mid-atlantic coast area, and you can donate your time, please PM forum moderator "Teacher" and let her know.Thanks for any help you can provide.-- Scot

Just to let everyone know, we have a workday set up for this Saturday. So far we have four different members and family/friends coming to assist. She is close to the Tidewater area of Virginia. Anyone interested in helping that I have not contacted, please feel free to email me, particularly if you are not afraid of heights or have any experience!

We'll make sure she knows. We know it is very few on the forum that live close enough to help. Looks like we have almost have a dozen ready to go on Saturday, counting friends and family!

Paracelsus is, as usual, being modest. He opened his wallet a lot! Thanks!If anyone else can afford to help, we'd really appreciate it.-- Scot

I would help out on both fronts if I could. Being in Michigan makes the East coast of Virginia a bit of a drive and I am still waiting for Paypal to get my account all straightened out. I am planing on the donation when my Paypal account is straightened out. Good thing I don't have any money on the account right now as I have no access to it. Well I wish you all the best with the repairs.Chris

I wish you the best. If i could help, i would. Being a high school student with no creditcard and living far away, there isn't much i can do. Best wishes.

Guest LilBambi

I had held off responding in this topic, since I didn't know what to say because what you all are doing touched my heart so much! But I just couldn't NOT say anything, so ....Whether the support is with;[*]words of encouragement (and there have been so many!)[*]donations (this has been very a very hard time especially since we lost nearly two weeks worth of work and nearly lost a brand new client because we were not online to respond to them, and all because of Izzy - thankfully our new client was very understanding and we were able to help them out and they are very happy now.)[*]physically coming to help us out with materials and labor! (We look forward to you all coming ... we intend to feed you well! :thumbsup: )All of you wonderful folks just can't imagine how touched and appreciative we are for what you all are doing! I had no idea folks would stretch out to help in these ways ...I humbly extend our deepest heartfelt gratitude to all of you for everything! :huh: :huh: -_-

I think our members have shown that a virtual community can, in fact, operate as a real-world community as well. That says a lot of good things about SFNL members. And Fran, we're just paying back, in small part, what you've given this forum since day 1. I know we all wish we could do even more. :thumbsup:

I think our members have shown that a virtual community can, in fact, operate as a real-world community as well. That says a lot of good things about SFNL members. And Fran, we're just paying back, in small part, what you've given this forum since day 1. I know we all wish we could do even more.
I'll second that. Well spoken Jeber!

See you Saturday. Besides tools, I am bring my camera to record the event and my Linux CD case wtih all my distros! Better speak up quick if there is something you want!

We'll be at Fran's this Saturday too! I just made the comment to my husband that I'll be able to talk geek & ask computer questions & people won't run the other direction or faint dead away from sheer boredom. (Julia & Fran - I'm counting on you!) :thumbsup: Get ready for ?'s!!--------------The researching roof restoring Sieb

You kids had all better keep your minds on your work while you're at it. I don't want to read how a bunch of you got so carried away discussing Mandrake 9.2 that you fell off the roof. :thumbsup:

Hehe- I don't know enough about drake 9.2 to fall off a roof!!I will be bringing my camera too.. but somebody mentioned food..... that sealed it. only another hurricane would keep me away now!! :o :(

You kids had all better keep your minds on your work while you're at it.  I don't want to read how a bunch of you got so carried away discussing Mandrake 9.2 that you fell off the roof.  :(
:o classic. co-workers are wondering why i'm chuckling to myself here at work. :o

Guest LilBambi

LOL! Great stuff! Looking forward to seeing those that can make it!And it looks like between all the cameras even those who can't make it will enjoy the meyhem! :blink: :w00t:

UPDATE:Julia and Fran did ask me to post this picture of the work they are doing on the roof: RoofFran.jpg Siebkins, Teacher, Ross549, LilBambi are busy working. Siebkins took the picture. In addition to forum members you will find a friend of Ross549 and spouses of Siebkins and LilBambi! :P Bruno

A wonderful crew we have together today. We would never have made this much progress without Ross549 and his friend. It looks like we won't get done today but will have to work all day tomorrow as well. The part being replaced is to the left in the picture. Thanks to all who helped in any way.

Guest Paracelsus

WAY COOL!!!Thanks!!... Everybody that was able to lend some sweat, or a few of what W. C. Fields like to call, "The Elusive Spondoogles" :P :) So...After this. Will we finally have an answer the the Eternal Question...How Many Penguins DOES It Take To Fix a Roof?? B) :) B) B) :) B) :D :)

Guest LilBambi

LOL! ;) We are done for the day ... Julia, Sieb, her husband and their two boys will be back tomorrow, and we have a local young man (who had offered to help previously) who will fill in tomorrow for Ross549 and his friend since they were only able to come and help today.It has been a real joy to have them all here and seeing the work everyone put in to get the roof prepared for the new plywood, tar paper and shingles. Now the plywood is completely on the roof!They are all amazing! We could never have done this by ourselves. They all did a wonderful job today!I think we fed them all well too :( .. honey ham sandwiches, baked chicken, baked potatoes, green bean casserole (with fresh made mushroom cream sauce instead of Campbell's soup), dinner rolls, chips ... lots of soda and bottled water (kept cold in a cooler).My Jim is now happily burning Linux distros from Julia's collection;[*]the newest Knoppix for Sieb to take home with her[*]MEPIS for us[*]Turbo Linux for us[*]some tar balls that Julia thought we might want to have tooLife is good! :) Fran

We are done for the day ... Julia, Sieb, her husband and their two boys will be back tomorrow, and we have a local young man (who had offered to help previously) who will fill in tomorrow for Ross549 and his friend since they were only able to come and help today.It has been a real joy to have them all here and seeing the work everyone put in to get the roof prepared for the new plywood, tar paper and shingles. Now the plywood is completely on the roof!They are all amazing! We could never have done this by ourselves. They all did a wonderful job today!I think we fed them all well too .. honey ham sandwiches, baked chicken, baked potatoes, green bean casserole (with fresh made mushroom cream sauce instead of Campbell's soup), dinner rolls, chips ... lots of soda and bottled water (kept cold in a cooler).My Jim is now happily burning Linux distros from Julia's collection;# the newest Knoppix for Sieb to take home with her# MEPIS for us# Turbo Linux for us# some tar balls that Julia thought we might want to have tooLife is good!Fran
Sounds like a great time! I wish i could have been there! Good luck with the roof!

Heh- my friend and I made it back to base..... we are pooped. It certainly was a day's work, and we are glad to have helped. It was also great to meet teacher, LilBambi and her husband, and Seibkins.

Guest LilBambi
Heh- my friend and I made it back to base..... we are pooped. It certainly was a day's work, and we are glad to have helped. It was also great to meet teacher, LilBambi and her husband, and Seibkins.
Ross459 -- So glad you both made it safely back to base ... I bet you both were pooped! Boy, was your help greatly appreciated! You guys were amazing!Thanks again so very much! ;)

Guest LilBambi

Peachy,Actually the part of the roof you are seeing in the picture is the northern side of the house. The work was being done on the larger roof section that was actually much higher off the ground on the east facing side of the house.In the picture that Bruno posted for us, the guy's head (ross549's friend) that was down from the others peeking over the roof, on the left of the picture, is the side that was being replaced (east facing roof).We will try to get a picture of that face of the roof tomorrow. By the time we were taking pictures today, the sun not in the best place to get those pictures. Although we did take some with ross549's camera and they may have come out OK, not sure. (ross549? have you had a chance to see them yet?).Either way we will get some in the morning before the tar paper (felt) and shingles go on; and again after it is done. ;)