PCLinuxOS 2009.2

réjean

Yahoo!I had a PCLinuxOS 2007 root partition ( hda8, 9.3 GB ) and a /home partition ( hda9, 9.3 GB ), and also a PClinuxOS 2009 root partition ( hdb6, 8.3 GB ) with a /home partition ( hda7, 19 GB ). So I moved all the important files from my 2007 /home to my 2009 /home. Then I formatted hda8 and hda9 and I installed PCLinuxOS 2009.2 on hda8 and told the installation that I wanted hda7 as my /home partition. The installation went flawlessly. I really like the new look and guess what? after installing a few softwares from Synaptic ( as I always do ) such as mplayer, win32 codec-all and a few more I can listen to CBC. Hurray!snapshot15.th.pngI can only use the 32 kbps ( the 96 kbps won't even work in VLC ) but hey I can listen to my local radio while being online. It's about time don't you think? Mind you CBC has made some changes ( I doubt it's only because they got tired of my complains ) but it is a step in the right direction. I can now look for my latest Arch .iso and install it either on hda9 or hdb6 ( which I still have to format ).I also replaced my SuperOS ( hda10, 19 GB ) 8. something with the 9. something which looks good but I just cannot import my Firefox bookmarks, html, like I have done so many times in so many distros ( including the 8. something version ) which will probably end up into a new thread.We are missing Bruno but Josh, Eric and others are doing a good job holding the fort. Congrats!P.S. I suddenly see a " Warn (0%) " at the bottom left;snapshot16.th.pngwhich I had never seen before. What is it about? Is it something new?

Edited by réjean

securitybreach
The installation went flawlessly. I really like the new look and guess what? after installing a few softwares from Synaptic ( as I always do ) such as mplayer, win32 codec-all and a few more I can listen to CBC. Hurray!
Glad it worked for you!!! I take CBC is you local radio?
I can now look for my latest Arch .iso and install it either on hda9 or hdb6 ( which I still have to format ).
Yeah!!!!! :w00t: :thumbsup: I will be here if you need any assistance.
We are missing Bruno but Josh, Eric and others are doing a good job holding the fort. Congrats!
Thanks a lot. Those are some big shoes we are trying to fill. :thumbsup: .THanks

I am glad to have it working finally Sue. What would a true Canadian be without CBC.Josh, CBC is our national broadcaster like BBC is in England, ABC in Australia and NBC in the States with local stations also. It has no ads and not being privately own it is less bias and doesn't mind being critical of the government ( whichever party is in power ). As a gardener/farmer I have to rely on accurate forecast several times a day ( not so much this time of the year since the gardens are all dormant.) We picked the last of our lettuce yesterday under 30 cm of snow, covered with a plastic tunnel ( December 17 that's not bad ) and we still have a few fresh tomatoes that we brought in and hanged last month.

Rejean Good to hear some one appreciates "The Corp" Do you get TV and or radio ??? I have been using their web site for news .. no hookup for TV , and I have a radio , part of the 25 year service awards Looks like we could have some more nasty weather Your additions for multi media would help any one regardless of their distro ????Charlie

Unfortunately Charlie it seems that I cannot get the Halifax supper time news half an hour after they are over ( as I can in XP or Vista and could in Super OS 8-something ).As far as getting radio I try to install mplayer plugin, mozplugger, win 32 codec-all, xine, real-codecs and xmms-alsa ( which were suggested by Bruno a few years ago ) and everything that resemble them and just hope for the best.I wish I could be more helpful.We are getting a bit of snow but mostly flurries for now.

securitybreach
Josh, CBC is our national broadcaster like BBC is in England, ABC in Australia and NBC in the States with local stations also. It has no ads and not being privately own it is less bias and doesn't mind being critical of the government ( whichever party is in power ).
That sounds cool. We do not have anything like that in the States. You mentioned NBC but it is basically the same as any other channel. Tons of commercials and does not really talk out against the government no more than Fox, Cbs. or any channel. Whats even worse, a few years ago they partnered with Microsoft and made MSNBC. Just like everything else in America, even the national broadcast channel is own by corporations. It is amazing watching BBC or other foreign news and seeing things the American newscasters do not report on. I frequent the Associated Press http://www.ap.org since it tends to be less biased than most new outlets in the States. Just my opinionThanks