Avast Virus scanner for Linux with GUI

mhbell

For those who don't know Avast (alwil software) has a virus scanner for Linux with a GUI (graphic user interface) with auto or manual updates of the virus definition files. Just like the free one in Windblows. Highly configurable with exclude files and directories and three modes of scan standard quick and thorough. archives too.here is the link:http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-for-linux-workstation.htmlYou have to register it every 14 months. Its free. another one is Clam and it has a add on Gui that can be found in the repos.Mel :)

ClamAV is GPL, so it's Free and free. :) There are GUI frontends - clamtk, klamav. Good if you run a mail server or want to scan a Win installation from within Linux.

ClamAV is GPL, so it's Free and free. :hysterical: There are GUI frontends - clamtk, klamav. Good if you run a mail server or want to scan a Win installation from within Linux.
True and avast may be proprietary but it is free for non commercial use (home use) it also will download and install the updates automatically. I have it installed on every windows computer as well as my wifes computer have used it for several years now with no problem and no virus on windows computers. It works the same in Linux as it does in windows. I am not a Linux purest and believe that some things although proprietary need to be included or run in linux. codecs are a good example.Mel :thumbsup: Edited by mhbell

For those who don't know Avast (alwil software) has a virus scanner for Linux
Only for 32bit systems! :rolleyes:
another one is Clam and it has a add on Gui that can be found in the repos.Mel :hysterical:
I think I'll stick with ClamAV with ClamTk. :thumbsup:

I have been using Avast free for years now in Windows so I appreciate the input. F-Prot used to have a free Linux one, but the last time I looked, they were charging for it just like the Windows version.Bill