The demise of English

sunrat

I am constantly amazed at the low standard of English usage on the net. Is it education or laziness? I can understand that kids on MyFace and Spacebook use hip, l33t or TXT speak, but this was on TechRepublic. I may have let it pass but for the line (edit); spelling and such I counted six spelling errors, so maybe he edited to add them! :wacko: Neon Samurai, you know who you are :rolleyes: :w00t: :

Poll: Would you turn your boss in for software piracy?Tags: software Report as spam Discussion - Post 10 of 16 copyright infringing software I reserve "Piracy" for actual acts of it for example; direct financial gain through copyright infringement or other forms of theft. So, in terms of stolen software, I would speak with my direct report first and work my way up the chain. It would be a discussion about security. We open ourselves up to the three major risks risks; orange jump suite and loose your home and be embarrassed. Legally, we are steeling and this can result in hefty fines and jail time. Business wise, we open ourselves up to having our own information stollen through any software outside legal channels. A frequent attack is to put spy code into an official program then release it through the pirate market. Hopefully the embarrassment point is understood with no further mention of it. No one wants to be the exec who lost the companies competitive data. As in the case of our favorite guitar string company example, even if it was not intentional or entirely proven, the BSA showing up at your door for a license audit is a problem. If the decision people have the information and still choose to keep the unlicensed installs then make sure it's documented and decide if your going to stay with this company/department or not. Being a wistle blower is your own choice and there are descrete ways to do that. I agree with jremmy though; if the motivation for potentially put families out of income by killing a business over your hurt feelings may be the right thing to do but it's a vulgar motivation. I'd respect someone doing it after having gone through the management chain and out of honest intentions though it still does suck for the innocents that may find locked doors in the morning. (edit); spelling and such Posted: 12/03/2009 @ 02:40 PM (PST) (edited 12/03/2009 @ 02:44 PM (PST)) avatar Neon Samurai 5 Job Role: Networking / LAN Administration Location: Toronto, Ontario Member since: 12/19/2006

I am constantly amazed at the low standard of English usage on the net. Is it education or laziness? I can understand that kids on MyFace and Spacebook use hip, l33t or TXT speak, but this was on TechRepublic. I may have let it pass but for the line (edit); spelling and such I counted six spelling errors, so maybe he edited to add them! :hysterical: Neon Samurai, you know who you are :w00t: :hysterical: :
It's all over the place, and it drives me nuts! I see so many misused homonyms that I wonder if many seemingly educated, intelligent people are writing columns and blogs using something like the old Dragon software that creates text from speech. Add to that the many spelling and grammatical errors and A-R-R-R-G! Oh well, I guess I'm just getting old and cranky.

V.T. Eric Layton

Man! Don't even get me started on this. :hysterical:

Oh well, I guess I'm just getting old and cranky.
Hear! Hear! I'm with you on that! :hysterical:

I received a newsletter with a link to an article written by a teacher. I was appalled at the wrong words used in the article. I guess the spellchecker removes the poor spelling.week was used when the author meant weaktheir was used in place of thereAs a retired math teacher, I did my best to always use proper grammar, punctuation, spelling and correct words even though English was not my teaching field. If I were posting something on the internet for lots of people to read, as an educator, I would ask several people to proof read it before I posted it.

Y'all have probably scene this :) :"> :-"Ode to the Spell Checker"Eye halve a spelling chequerIt came with my pea seaIt plainly marques four my revueMiss steaks eye kin knot sea.Eye strike a key and type a wordAnd weight four it two sayWeather eye am wrong oar writeIt shows me strait a weighAs soon as a mist ache is maidIt nose bee fore two longAnd eye can put the error riteIts rare lea ever wrong.Eye have run this poem threw itI am shore your pleased two noIts letter perfect awl the weighMy chequer tolled me sew

There is a radio spot put out by our state education association that is just appalling. They ask a teacher about what inspired her to become a teacher."The teacher that inspired me the most would have to be Mrs. Wheeler. She was my PE teacher in elementary school... as well as my PE teacher in high school and my cheerleading coach. I try to bring in the same compassion she had for us when we were young, and older. Trying to teach my kids that they are important as anyone else, if not the most important at the moment you're speaking to them."If you hear the spot, it's very clear that they didn't rehearse it. I almost feel bad for all the quality teachers in our state for having this person represent them on the radio.

V.T. Eric Layton

That is a fine example of the outcome-based education that I was lampooning a few posts back here. Sometime in the 80s the powers-that-be decided that it was more important that a child feel good about himself/herself than whether or not they were actually learning anything in schools. As a result, we have a whole generation or two out there who have wonderful self-confidence, yet can't fill out a job application without assistance. Pretty darn sad, I'd say. :whistling:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outcome-based_educationThe entire education system in this country is warped toward not criticizing or penalizing the lower intelligence students at the expense of the truly gifted achievers. The curve is devastating to the education system. When I went to school, an F was a failing grade. It was usually something less than 69% on a test or a total report card grade. Nowadays, you have to shoot the teacher and rape three classmates to get a failing grade. School systems are more interested in maintaining their bureaucratic fiefdoms and receiving state and federal funds than they are about educating students.See! I told you not to get me started. :hysterical:

• 4 weeks later...
Cluttermagnet

Yo, Eric- We have a heck of a great tradition to uphold,thanks be to Bruno. He has helped build one of thefriendlier tech places on the internet. It's not often I can truly say that a particular internet 'place' has'changed my life'-but this would be one of the few. :)(Comments, hopefully correctly spelled and punctuated,inspired mainly by the Bruno thread )(spellig chekd reel gude by Manualie)

Edited by Cluttermagnet

I see it so often lately I'm bound to send somebody some malignant electrons before long. "What could it be?", I hear you say.The writing of the word "loose" when someone no longer has knowledge of something's whereabouts! :hysterical:

There is an ad in a national magazine quoting me from a taped session. The way they did the punctuation makes it look absolutely terrible. I have been tempted to write them and correct the punctuation. The reader does not know it is from a video-taped interview. It even has my picture, name, town, and school beside it. :wacko:

ARRRRRRRGH! :o That would be embarrassing. ;) Did they spell your name correctly, though. :o
But of course. My last name only has three letters so it is hard to spell wrong - although I frequently must spell it for folks! The joy is that it is so common that it is very difficult to google me without a school or town - you get millions of hits. :wacko:

We have the same problems with education in Canada, spelling isn't considered all that important anymore it seems. When I was taking office technology the instructor had us bring stuff from home to spell check a lot of what got brought in was stuff sent home from the kids schools, it was almost scary sometimes. I used to work for a newspaper and stuff still slipped by even though it was spell checked by several people. Sometimes the errors were so glaring as to be downright embarrassing. I do notice a lot of the people I worked with are not always finicky with their personal correspondence, maybe you get lazy when you have someone spell checking your work all the time.I was reading something the other day about people who used text speak actually having a better grasp on language than people who don't, but I'm not convinced. When these same kids not only text lol but say it in conversation you have to wonder if they have a grasp on English at all.

V.T. Eric Layton
and then you have those who don't know what a capitol letter is...[temmu lurks awaiting the tragic response.]
What exactly is a capitol letter? Maybe you meant a capital letter, huh? :)

What exactly is a capitol letter? Maybe you meant a capital letter, huh? :)
I think that's exactly the tragic response Temmu was stirring for! :)

college athletes are the worst.duh, um, o, yeah, that's right.about 15 yrs ago in sports illustrated,a famous basketball star was quoted along these lines:i dribble and shoot equally well with my left and my right hand.i'm amphibious.and then you have those who don't know what a capitol letter is...[temmu lurks awaiting the tragic response.]
Or maybe this memorable quote:"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst. :(