Show Us Your Real Desktop

V.T. Eric Layton

It's not as if I made recent wholesale changes. My desktop console was 5 years old in 2009 and I used it for another 4 years. Its replacement has been in service since 2013 and has been extensively upgraded/maintained over that time. With any luck it should be good for another couple of years. The only thing I've done recently was replace a worn wifi keyboard and mouse. Monitor and speakers are a few years old but still OK.

I'd love to have NVME and USB 3 but right now the older technology still serves me well.

V.T. Eric Layton

With SSDs in your server, it's usually just the fans that are pulling all the current. Solid state devices (mobo components, SSDs, vid card components, etc.) don't draw that much current. Fans, on the other hand will SUCK UP THE JUICE.

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Doing a little painting? ;)

Thankfully only a little is left.  Saving that for after I get my final permit to move in.🥳

• +1 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Here's the temporary setup until I finish trimming.  Will replace the rickety table with something more solid and I'll get a decent chair too.  Anyway, it's what it is for now.deskie001.jpg

• +1 2

abarbarian
52 minutes ago, wa4chq said:

Here's the temporary setup until I finish trimming.  Will replace the rickety table with something more solid and I'll get a decent chair too.  Anyway, it's what it is for now.deskie001.jpg

Much better than the last one. Whats with the barbecue on the desk ? I know computing make you peckish but ...................................... 🤣

• Haha 1

securitybreach
1 hour ago, wa4chq said:

Needs moar monitors ;)

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

Much better than the last one. Whats with the barbecue on the desk ? I know computing make you peckish but ...................................... 🤣

Good question!  lol....but I'm thinking it's a salad with chunks of tuna.  At least that's what I'm telling everybody.

22 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Needs moar monitors ;)

Actually there's one on the floor to the left.....it's the one with rpi3 strapped to it....

• Agree 1

• 1 year later...
V.T. Eric Layton

I run my tower with the case open also... like David (Cluttermagnet) once said here, "Open hardware for Open Source." ;)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I run my tower with the case open also... like David (Cluttermagnet) once said here, "Open hardware for Open Source." ;)

That is not a case any more. It is a carcase as I have loped of lumps of it to improve the air flow.

It is a rather unusual case as it has a removable plate that has the mobo mounted on it along with the support plate for the PCI cards to be secured to and the i/O plate. I was going to use that as lift out section in a wooden case. Sadly I have never got a round to it.

🤔

• Like 2