Show Us Your Real Desktop

V.T. Eric Layton

• 1 month later...
securitybreach

This is my current setup. Still working on getting the 6th monitor going. All of the monitors are connected to my main rig running Archlinux. I have a headless server running CentOS, hence the screenfetch on one of the monitors,

30" @ 2560x1600

27" @ 3840x2160

27" @ 1920x1080

2x 24" @ 1920x1080

All IPS displays

Total resolution = 7168x2680

5scTRhw.jpg

• Like 2

securitybreach

Just think if you had your desk sitting by a south facing window and the backs of the monitors were solar cells...... just a thought. :)

I do not see any light in my room besides from the ceiling fan. It sounds good but that would be too much light for me...

Just think if you had your desk sitting by a south facing window and the backs of the monitors were solar cells...... just a thought. :)

I do not see any light in my room besides from the ceiling fan. It sounds good but that would be too much light for me...

Yeah I had heard that geeks were generally fans of the darkside. :harhar:

• Like 2

securitybreach

Yeah I had heard that geeks were generally fans of the darkside. :harhar:

But of course B)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
V.T. Eric Layton

Heh! I just scrolled through this entire 7 page thread. That was entertaining! There's some funny stuff here and a lot of posts from some friends who are no longer with us. It was fun to read! :)

securitybreach
20 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

WOW! All those plugs, extension cords, and other miscellany under that desk do NOT look to be UL Approved by any means. ;)

Not with 10 cables on the monitors alone. There are probably at least 20 cables behind my desk. 5 monitors (2 for each) desktop, speakers, switch, router, modem, fiber to ethernet box, 2 laptops, mobile workstation, etc.

securitybreach
12 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Ever blow any fuses/breakers at your place? ;)

Nope, I have not in any of the places that I have lived. It's all ran through a surge protector and a UPS.

• Agree 2

V.T. Eric Layton

Just kidding. Even with all that carp plugged in under your desk, only the monitors really draw current... and it's not enough to throw a 20A room circuit breaker.

securitybreach

Yeah, most newer hardware had all kinds of energy saving features and are lower power. I did have two servers running and when I went down to one, I noticed the drop in my electric bill. Those HP Z820 workstations weigh like 80lbs a piece. The heat sink is massive and spans the case. I'm on mobile or I'd look it up.

securitybreach

See the massive heatsink at the top with the handle

I3ALJXMtgdlyN5XK.full

It's got a pretty cool tool-less design where everything just snaps in

• Agree 1
  • +1 1

Just looked at my picture from 2009. I still have the desk but the chair, gateway, desktop PC, monitor, printer, speakers, mouse, keyboard and power strip are changed. I guess you'd expect that after 11 years.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Hello,

Ooh.. a Z-series.  I actually have one of those sitting in a colo doing stuff.  Not the most energy-efficient system out there, but it's in a location with cheap power.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, securitybreach said:

See the massive heatsink at the top with the handle

I3ALJXMtgdlyN5XK.full

It's got a pretty cool tool-less design where everything just snaps in

That is pretty impressive.😎

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, raymac46 said:

Just looked at my picture from 2009. I still have the desk but the chair, gateway, desktop PC, monitor, printer, speakers, mouse, keyboard and power strip are changed. I guess you'd expect that after 11 years.

I'm the exact opposite. Mind you I have moved house since, but i have all the same tech stuff and desk etc but now have a different chair. 🤣

• Like 1

securitybreach
On 6/18/2020 at 7:19 AM, goretsky said:

Not the most energy-efficient system out there, but it's in a location with cheap power.

Especially in this configuration. 2x Xeons with 192gb ram (can go to 512gb).