Name that Avatar, in three words or less

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

OK, I will start this one off since I have recently been asked what my avatar is.My avatar used to be a pygmy marmoset - the world's tiniest monkey which is found in the Rainforests in South America.The pygmy marmoset is so small (how small is it...is there an echo in here??), that it can wrap it's tiny arms around a person's finger as though it were a tree trunk (which is what my avatar depicts).I got the picture several years ago from a e-card someone sent me, or a website I visited, I really can't even remember. The picture was originally much larger and included the face of the person holding the pygmy marmoset, but as an avatar, I just wanted the cute little face of the pygmy marmaset :) Here are a few places to see other pictures of pygmy marmosets:http://www.sandiegozoo.org/wildideas/kids/...s_marmoset.htmlhttp://www.funnypicoftheday.com/p032.shtmlhttp://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/gremlins/tiny.htmlhttp://library.thinkquest.org/J0112360/ani...ls/marmoset.htmJust in case you were wondering :) Next ....UPDATE!!!Well, I did find the larger original pygmy marmoset picture, I edited it down to max height of 144, and I am putting a link here (for easier page loading) for posterity to the larger avatar form ... however, I have a feeling this one wouldn't really help things much :) ... so ...Bambi's old Avatar (larger image for better clarity)Instead, I found a nice koala picture to use instead for my avatar at least for now :)

Edited by LilBambi

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teacher

• Jeber

• GolfProRM

• havnblast

I guess mine's pretty obvious :) it's a shrunk down version of a Chicago (the band) logo (that I made myself)... I'm a big fan of the band, and couldn't come up with anything better :)You can see the full size version, and others at my website.ChiGlitterRed.gif

nope :)and between the Chicago message board and now this one, I never get any work done :)Edit - I wanted to incorporate the rest of my interests, but between my screenname, and my avatar, I didn't have room for something video games :(Describing me in four adjectives: Chicago Fan, golfer, gamer, computer geek :)

Edit - On a whim, I changed my avatar. The discussion below is about my first avatar, shown here:yin_yang.gifEnd EditI've been interested in learning Tai Chi for a while now, so I joined a class through my city's Parks and Recreations department a few months ago. Tai Chi is generally represented graphically by using the "yin yang" symbol, and I thought this animated one looked nice. So, I'm using it as my avatar.Here's a definition of yin yang, in case anybody's interested"

Ancient Chinese philosophers used the Yin-Yang theory to explain the changes that occur in nature. According to this theory, all things and phenomena in the universe contain two opposite aspects – Yin and Yang – which are, at the same time, both interdependent and in conflict. They may be seen as complementary and yet also in opposition to each other. The Yin-Yang theory thus represents the law of unity of opposites. It implies the underlying unity as well as the manifest polarity of things, events and processes.Yin and Yang represent the two opposite principles or tendencies of one object or phenomenon in relation to another. It may also represent different and opposite aspects within the same object or phenomenon. The ancients Chinese observed the principle of opposites in the natural events around them: day and night, light and darkness, waking and sleeping, activity and rest, summer and winter, growth and decay, man and woman, hot and cold, heaven and earth, sun and moon, etc.
In the context of computers, I would add the interconnectivity and conflict between hardware and software to that list.

LilBambi,They have those little critters at our zoo. The next time we go (usually go 8 to 10 times a year) I will be sure to take the digital camera with me and get some good pics for you.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Anyone know my avatar?

Guest LilBambi
LilBambi,They have those little critters at our zoo. The next time we go (usually go 8 to 10 times a year) I will be sure to take the digital camera with me and get some good pics for you.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Anyone know my avatar?
Stryder --Excellent, I would love to get more pics of these tiny monkeys! I have never seen one in person...they are just so cute. It's the same reason I just dearly love the kaola which is probably my all time favorite of all animals. I have a picture of one hanging on the wall in our library.As far as your avatar ... State Flag of Indiana maybe? :) Did you get it here:http://www.fg-a.com/stateflags.htm ?

Yep....but why they chose a cornstalk in the midnight sky for our state flag I will never know!!!!I have had that avatar so long I have no clue where it came from.

Guest LilBambi

Stryder --Ah, you had to ruin it talking about it being a cornstalk...it looked like some great golden light like the statue of liberty or in the Olympics ... hehehe ... Looks great as an avatar with just the blue and gold ... kinda regal looking :)

Stryder --Ah, you had to ruin it talking about it being a cornstalk...it looked like some great golden light like the statue of liberty or in the Olympics ... hehehe ... Looks great as an avatar with just the blue and gold ... kinda regal looking  :)
Lol....I was just joking. It is actually a torch, centered, with nineteen stars. There are 13 stars creating an outer circle, representing the original 13 states. Five inner stars for the five other states that became states before Indiana. And lastly, one star right above the torch, slightly larger that the others representing Indiana. inflag.gif

Interesting. I figured if I used a picture of me, everyone's monitors would crack and break. I took a flower out of a picture in my garden last year that happened to be my favorite color. BTW, I love the variety of avatars. It sure shows the variety of folks here.

Guest LilBambi
Stryder --Ah, you had to ruin it talking about it being a cornstalk...it looked like some great golden light like the statue of liberty or in the Olympics ... hehehe ... Looks great as an avatar with just the blue and gold ... kinda regal looking  :lol:
Lol....I was just joking. It is actually a torch, centered, with nineteen stars. There are 13 stars creating an outer circle, representing the original 13 states. Five inner stars for the five other states that became states before Indiana. And lastly, one star right above the torch, slightly larger that the others representing Indiana.
Stryder --Hey, I'm not as blind as I once thought ;)

Guest ComputerBob
I guess mine's pretty obvious :lol:  it's a shrunk down version of a Chicago (the band) logo (that I made myself)...  I'm a big fan of the band, and couldn't come up with anything better :)You can see the full size version, and others at my website.
Great avatar and sparkly logo, too. I'm a big fan of Chicago, too, especially their early days before Terry Kath accidently killed himself. I grew up in the suburbs, and remember when they were called CTA (Chicago Transit Authority), but the city sued them and they had to change their name to Chicago.Kind of like the band Toto, which, if I remember correctly, was originally called Pogo, but had to change their name after being sued by Walt Kelly, the creator of the old Pogo comic strip.

Guest LilBambi
Looks at his avatar - looks around at everyone - thinks to himself  oO(I sure hope with this one I don't have to explain it) ;)
havnblast --Nope ... don't think so ... I keep expecting the batmobile to show up ;) eksimba --Our son loves your avatar - the yin yang symbol - I know he would love the animation and I was tempted to snag a copy of your avatar to email to him ;)He even has a tatoo of the symbol ... at some point he may regret that, but who knows ... it is a very good symbol :lol:

Guest ComputerBob

Mine was created by a fractal generator that extrapolated what "the face of Elvis" on the surface of Mars would look like with hair, glasses and clothing. Incredible, but true.

Mine was created by a fractal generator that extrapolated what "the face of Elvis" on the surface of Mars would look like with hair, glasses and clothing. Incredible, but true.
It's actually quite obvious, now that you have pointed it out.

Our son loves your avatar - the yin yang symbol - I know he would love the animation and I was tempted to snag a copy of your avatar to email to him ;)He even has a tatoo of the symbol ... at some point he may regret that, but who knows ... it is a very good symbol  :lol:
It wouldn't bother me; I didn't create it. I found it a while ago in some avatar gallery (I forget where...). I'm glad you like it.

LilBambi, please don't ask me to explain this, but between my poor eyesight, crummy bifocals, and 1024x768 screen resolution, I thought your avatar was a teddy bear. :lol: I actually wanted to have a contest, with a totally worthless prize, to see who could name my avatar. Figured it would bring all the old reformed hippies out of the closet. And I suppose it worked, without the contest. And the old reformed hippy turned out to be the one person I would have least expected. ComputerBob, who in his former life may (or may not) have been the midwest head of the Weathermen. For those of you who missed his brilliant deduction, it's Jerry Rubin, an early guiding light. Read "Steal This Book" for an idea of where some of our heads were at during that period. Some of us still haven't left. Radical without a cause. Could anything be sadder. :huh:L_P, your work is excellant. Is this a hobby, job or what? Looks like a lot of work involved in this one.

... Figured it would bring all the old reformed hippies out of the closet ...
Nice to run into you again, Jeber! I remember "Steal this book..." I didn't remember what Jerry looked like though... Sad what happened to Abbie...I had hair down to my belt back then... if I would have had a belt. But I was always more of a Merry Prankster type than a yippie.Nowadays instead of electric kool-aid, I go for microwave international coffee. Ah, well... at least I can... Be Here Now! :lol:

Guest LilBambi

Jeber -- Jerry Rubin icon - great avatar choice for someone who provides wonderful comic relief to the forums :) Am I showing my age by saying, I remember "Steal this book..." ? :D Well, because I really do know how hard it is not to be able to see things that are too small (heck I run my screen at 800x600 just so I can read the text easily!) it looks as though I might have to try to locate the original picture of my avatar ... so I can redo it in 144x144 (max size on this board).I originally created my avatar for the first forum I joined in the earlier days of forums when there weren't so many choices. Most folks left their screen resolution at 640x40 (cuz that's how it came) and only the geekier among us were using 800x600 - and - more than 67% of us were still on dialup <_ that time forum board had a requirement all avatars to be max of and i hadn changed it because there are still some boards have requirement.however an avatar is no real value unless folks at resolutions can make out what supposed least whether animal mineral or vegetable so guess will redo src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)"> L_P --Definitely beautiful work!eksimba --Thanks! I know our son will love that ying yang picture!Big Jeff --Love that gravitational art :)ComputerBob --I never would have guessed about your avatar (what "the face of Elvis" on the surface of Mars would look like with hair) LOL :) BTW: Didn't benhenry mention he used to have very long hair down his back ... I think he might like to look at your website ... hard to tell from your avatar, but you show your long hair proudly on your site. :) teacher --That's a beautiful picture ... and from your garden, very nice! You must have a very nice digital camera too. :D

lilbambi, I knew it wasn't so, but up until now your avy looked to me like a little brown rodent hugging a little white rodent in front of him and doing the nasty. I knew that couldn't be it, but that is all I could see (& think of) on my 15 in monitor. Sorry, but LOL!I guess my avy means I'm lurking...but at this point means nothing other than a cool looking avy.