Further tales of the Tiki Lounge

Cluttermagnet

Guest LilBambi

Might want to try Seem Reel TheatreI was referring to Seem Reel Theatre's Red Shift production. Their Neal Amid production can be found at LodesTone Media. You might try reaching Cat Simril through them if you are interested in getting a copy, or PM me and I will try to put you in touch with Cat. As far as I know Red Shift isn't available on LodesTone.Still waiting to hear from Cluttermagnet or BoardFlak :teehee:

Cluttermagnet
I trust Cluttermagnet, Boardflak, or any other insipid, ummm, inspired, writer to help get to the bottom of this one. Is it really Louise? How should I know--I haven't read any more than is written...yet. But I'm looking forward to it. Don't keep me in suspense, folks, inquiring minds want to know. I'll check back on an irregular basis (another question: when will the Ex-lax start working?) to find the answers to these and many other pressing matters. (Does Dirk use a waffle iron to press his clothes?)Om mani padme hum, y'all :D
Siiiiighhhhh...Er, ah, welcome novice. Here, let me help you with that. Try to get the towel around behind it before it runs under the computer. Oh, too late. Well, here, you hold up the front of the tower and I will try to wipe up underneath. There, that's most of it. Don't worry about it, I'll get the rest of it later. Man, that yak- buttered tea sure does leave a film, doesn't it? Aw jeez, my mouse has stopped working. Ah, well, it needed a good cleaning anyway.Oh, but where are my manners? Here, have a seat (sound of file cabinet drawer opening in background). This is the background paper about how the Roadie Dirk series came into existence. It's actually quite an interesting story in itself. Involves a number of real online personalities, wartime jitters and the need for some comic relief, graciously provided by someone in-theatre (pun intended), and how an innocent post to the Test area of that same forum spontaneously gave birth to Roadie Dirk quite unexpectedly. Ristdagger soon jumped rooms and turned up in that very same humor thread that had just run out of gas and been unceremoniously closed- well, abandoned anyway. And then the thread owner, in a burst of inspiration, decided to rename it and try to get it kick- started again. Nobody came to the party. I guess they couldn't find the new address. :huh: But you go ahead and read while I work on this mouse for a while.Anyway, Roadie Dirk, ever the opportunist, and sensing a really good free rent or low rent situation, wormed his way in and proceeded to set up and hold court. Nobody showed up. They stayed away in droves. But he swore he could hear them keeping quiet, and maybe occasionally the faintest snicker off in the background, so he convinced himself he must have a readership of at least one or two moderators and pressed on. B) Eventually one of the mods told him well OK, he could live on but was being 'unstickied' due to sagging ratings, and to behave himself and at least try to get a few collaborators so he wasn't embarrassing himself playing to an empty room. And the rest is history- or herstory, depending on who is in the room.CM will try to dig up and rerun the original test post where Roadie Dirk first came to life, but for now, lets just say that he made a little goof that decisively ended his roadie career. He unintentionally created an 18 second gap at the beginning of the lip-sync tape the group he was touring with relied on- a gap so disconcerting that it caused the bass player to accidentally knock over a big speaker tower. That's when the big loudspeaker surfing fad started its brief popularity, as the hapless Ristdagger grabbed onto it and rode it over the edge of the stage and into the mosh pit in an ineffectual attempt to arrest its fall (the mosh pit fortunately was sparsely populated at the time). Heck, that was briefly more popular than either smashing guitars to pieces on the stage or even lighting fire to the band's various instruments or belongings. :lol:I saw Roadie Dirk walk by a short while ago, but he looked perplexed and in no mood for talk, so I let it go. I did hear him muttering "Context! Read the whole frickin' thread from the beginning..." B) (1), (2) I'm sure he will be back soon enough. Some folks seem to think he is jealous of that other guy who moved on and set up another thread that has been wildly successful, with hundreds of posts in just a few months. And amazingly that thread started out as an advice column for axe- murderers (or was it shovel murderers?) (3) I'm not really sure, but I think Ristdagger values his quiet times and was never much of a fan of big crowds (I know, so why did the guy work as a roadie? Life is full of such mysteries).The first king cleared his throat. His shoes were too big and his crown was wetand lopsided, but nevertheless, he began to speak in the most meaningful way..."And just how far would you like to go in?" (Frank) asked,and the three kings all looked at each other."Not too far but just far enough so's we can say that we've been there..." (Frank) sat down and crossed his legs, then he sprang up, ripped off his shirtand began waving it in the air. A lightbulb fell from one of his pocketsand he stamped it out with his foot. Then he took a deep breath, moaned, andpunched his fist through the plate glass window..."Far enough?" he asked."Yeah sure, Frank" said the second king..."Oh mighty thing!" said Vera to Frank. Why didn't you just tell themyou were a moderate man and leave it at that...?" "Patience, Vera," said Frank.Terry Shute, who was sitting over by the curtain cleaning an axe...walked over to Vera's husband and placed his hand on his shoulder."Yuh didn't hurt yer hand, didja, Frank?" Frank just sat there watching the workmen replace the window."I don't believe so," he said. (Bob Dylan, jacket notes, John Wesley Harding, 1968)

Cluttermagnet
Suddenly, Dirk couldn't keep his eyes open and felt compelled to put his head down on the table in front of him on his crooked arm, in the manner of 1st graders taking an afternoon nap at their desks.What was wrong with him that he had to sleep? Was this really Louise? Why open a Tibetan restaurant here of all places?
Oh, a old trick puzzle- so happen we find out the answer tomorrow, next show!(Thanks Firesign Theatre)"Not again!" Roadie Dirk stirred, startled back into a semi-awake state, and noticed that, for the umpteenth time, he had left a candle burning, forgetting to blow it out before dropping his head on the 'pillow', his tan jeans jacket rolled around wadded circulars from the QOMOMI era in the Tiki Lounge. The candle was burned down to a nub, and its flickering cast eerie dancing shadows on the ceiling over the dance floor. "Ah well, if this place were going to burn down, it would have done so a long time ago." Ristdagger had long since done his research and carefully saved any significant documents found at the Tiki. The rest had gone out to the dumpster or been used to start fires in the small wood stove. Heck, the formerly strong odor of bug spray had all but vanished under weeks of diligent cleaning by the old roadie.The dream had been unusually intense this time. Ristdagger didn't remember having one of this intensity or clarity since- oh, heck, it was just so many years ago- what had it been? Some really good blotter, or was that the time Ernie had stumbled by with those Owsleys? Man, that was something else. They figured later they'd been gone a good day or so before they found their way back, and the dream images had been so vivid and compelling. The Dali Lama came by and they all said "Well, hello, Dali" in unison like those freaks at MIT with their sign- and the Dali Lama smiled and laughed with them, and Ernie laughed so hard he knocked his yak- buttered tea over, launching the merry group into further gales of uncontrollable laughter...This dream had been like that, and he realized that just for once, Shiv (Willard) never even showed up. In this dream, his shaking hands opened the envelope and before he knew it he was carried across the pass and entered a strange restaurant the next valley over- and who should greet him but Lousie, all made up like a tibetan woman and offering him yak- buttered tea and other strange and exotic fare. With a start, he thought of the envelope and he turned hurriedly to his other side. There it was, still mostly unopened. He breathed a sigh of relief. This communication could wait until he was in the proper frame of mind. Well, it was half open, but his shaking hands could not finish the act that night, and he had put the half- opened letter back down on the bar, and then slept with it next to him later that evening. Things had certainly taken a strange turn ever since Barney went 'over the hill' and left him with the embarrassing writers contest tie, and then his two favorite countermen at the local convenience store lit out of town like spooked horses. What was going on here? And then the quite unexpected envelope promising news of QOMOMI- it was just all too much!Roadie Dirk blew out the remaining stub of a candle. The strong smell of the still smoldering wick wafted by, and he quickly dropped back into a light sleep, Tibetan monks in bright orange and red robes walking by occasionally, nodding their greetings...(To Be Continued)

novice_hack_writer

WOW! Cluttermagnet, I followed your advice on reading from the beginning. <tongue in cheek>Thanks for posting those hyperlinks (one with 21 pages, one with 46--it's a Commie plot, I tell you) which have occupied the better (well, to tell the truth, worst) part of many hours for me </tongue in cheek>. But I did learn some valuable tidbits along the way. Many a day have I wasted in the past with not so much useless info to show for it :) For instance, I know now (look at the spelling of those last two words then pronounce them out loud--isn't Engrish wunnaful?) that QOMOMI is not the robotic sidekick of Clint Eastwood in "Star Wars XVII--Return of the Spajedi Knights" nor is it the alternate acrnonym for SOTA. OK, you caught me, I have no idea what SOTA is, but someone here does, I'm sure. Let me know, please....I'm interested to see how many times the "dream sequence" can be used before we come to expect its appearance B) At least get someone to allow us to program some harp music (in a very tasteful .MID format, of course) and some JavaScript to cause the screen to shimmer so we KNOW it's a dream! I mean, they can do it on Letterman and every other inane comedy show, why not here?I'm going to rest my few remaining neurons here before I come to believe the old adage: "Normal is just a cycle on the washing machine."TTFN.

Cluttermagnet
I'm interested to see how many times the "dream sequence" can be used before we come to expect its appearance :) At least get someone to allow us to program some harp music (in a very tasteful .MID format, of course) and some JavaScript to cause the screen to shimmer so we KNOW it's a dream! I mean, they can do it on Letterman and every other inane comedy show, why not here?
Yeah novice, you are right-For my dream sequences, you would think that I should at least repeatedly say "doodle oodle oodle oodle" whilst making wavy motions with my hands as I hold my arms extended and parallel out front and make slow, downward chopping motions. You know, like Mike Meyers and Dana Garvey used to do on SNL "Wayne's World". (no, not "SFNL", SNL) :thumbsup: But at least SNL did some actual video magic and got the wavy dissolve thing going for those bozos, which added to the comedy. The antics in Garth's Mom's basement were technically unnecessary, but it was such a nice homey touch. Extreme closeup!!! ;) Yes, things in this thread should make far more sense to you now that you know the full story of QOMOMI and the royal knights' jesting tournaments in their endless quest for the holy gra- er, punchline. Well, OK, not endless, maybe, but for a good few months Miss Information had them all going through the good offices of her faithful minister as he fought a valiant, rear guard holding action against mirthlessness whilst the jester did escape...I have no such video magic special effects to fall back on, and am left with having to paint word pictures using only this worn out stub of a paintbrush, ink made from parts of me own blood, and this rusty old plastic dagger I have carried since birth. (Thanks Firesign Theatre) Well, OK, I could include the occasional odd graphic, but I'm basically lazy and it takes too long to type the url's. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Cluttermagnet

Roadie Dirk's hands shook as he tore open the envelope. He couldn't quite focus on the writing. Yes, several references to QOMOMI on the page. Something about his having been the invention of a popular web forum moderator and a few of his cronies, all looking for something to soothe their worries as world events sprialed out of control all around them. In the midst of insanity, a comic figure towered over it all, and they collectively grabbed onto this bit of humor and rode it for all it was worth. All the alien references were apparently no more than double- entendre humor that took great liberties with the idea, intermixing nationalities with planetary origins in an ever widening circle of mirth and counter-insanity. Ristdagger felt a palpable sense of relief flood over him. All the worries, all the late night imaginings- and it just turned out to be a bunch of mischeivous bozos on the internet.The sound of the door interrupted his reading. There stood old Barney, sober as a judge and looking quite tan and fit, to boot. "Hey, chief, sorry about your contest. Did they ever pick the winner?" Barney had obviously done a week or two of 'work release', and it looked good on him. "Oh, they came up with enough money to send both runners- up to India" said Ristdagger. "Unexpected last minute sponsors." He poured a cup of coffee and pushed it across the bar to Barney, then topped off his own. "In fact, they're both still over there, and their families are having a hard time getting them to come back. Seems there are plenty of IT jobs over there! The pay is low, but so is the cost of living. And apparently both of them love Indian food." Barney looked mildly surprised, as if he were about to say something, but then just took another sip of coffee and got a far away look on his face. Roadie Dirk reflected that, all things considered, it was good enough simply to have gotten through the past year. Next year would be better...(To Be Continued) Next Week: Roadie Dirk makes a few new year's resolutions...

• 4 weeks later...
novice_hack_writer
Posted: Jan 2 2004, 01:25 AM (To Be Continued)Next Week: Roadie Dirk makes a few new year's resolutions...
Well....(sound of fingers tapping on desk in an impatient manner)....do I need to put another dream sequence opening in here? :url:

• 2 months later...
Cluttermagnet

Winter had simply flown by for Roadie Dirk. Resolutions? He had made a few, but could not even remember them all. The only one that seemed to be holding was he still occasionally made it over to the gym in King's Paunch, the nearest thing that passed for the 'big city' in these parts. They also had a musical instrument shop in town, and Dirk liked to buy guitar picks whenever the opportunity came up. Oh, he didn't play the guitar, or any musical instrument, for that matter- he just liked to buy guitar picks whenever he saw some. Besides, they made dandy shims to tame unruly furniture with one leg shorter than the others.In King's Paunch, rumor had it that smiling Amal and eagle-eyed Habib had been sighted in Slinksville a few months back. According to Judge Harper's wife Thelma, who recognized the two men from having made frequent visits to her sister Betty in Sweltenham, they had a U-Haul trailer and looked to be in a pretty big hurry. She said they had matresses tied on everywhere, and several large rugs on top, rolled up and weighting it all down. According to her, it would have been a wonder if the thing didn't go airborne over 45 miles per hour or in a stiff headwind. This was quite an unusual development, as the brothers had not been seen or heard from since last October, when they mysteriously vanished the day before Halloween. Maybe that was what Thelma meant by "a few months."County records showed ownership of the convenience mart passing from one shell corporation to another, but the documents bore no familiar names or addresses. Meanwhile, the Tibetan duo had fast won over the loyalties and even affections of a goodly number of the Sweltenham townsfolk, and business was good enough that they had added an ice maker and gas, diesel, and kerosene pumps, very popular in a small town that didn't even have a town store until ten years ago. Oh, the Murphys had a little grocery store in town for generations, but it had closed in 1956 as Mrs. Murphy was getting on in her years and no other family member wanted to take over. For decades, buying gas, groceries, or other necessities had meant driving over the mountain and into Slinksville, the next valley over- if not all the way to King's Paunch, the county seat, some 37 miles away. The town was getting a lot more traffic lately, although the nearest interstate highway was 40 miles away on the far side of the big city. There seemed to be an influx of tourists passing through. It was the darndest thing, and something the locals had certainly not seen before. The Lincoln Diner had hired on another part-time waitress and the owner was talking about possibly building an outdoor dining area to accomodate the occasional overflow on summer weekends.Roadie Dirk held six new guitar picks in his hands, absently moving his fingers over them as if to polish them further. It was a nervous habit, but certainly far better than the large number of cigarettes he used to go through in the old days. He thought contentedly to himself how well this sleepy town fit his life and yet presented challenges and mysteries from time to time. Yes, good folks and a most agreeable climate- what's not to like? Then his eyes happened across the lead item in the gossip column of the city paper he had brought back with him...(To Be Continued)Next week: Same old same old- a new mysterious development- and what about those "structural deficiencies", anyway?

• 4 weeks later...
novice_hack_writer

From the King's Pauch Postal-Courier, page 6:

"What waitress in our county has revealed business savvy by investing in a foreign-owned convenience store?""It seems that one of our local bank clerks charged with processing cashier's checks noticed that a waitress we all know issued a check for $25,000 to the foreign owners of a local 'Gas 'N' Shop' store for building improvements. They have recently expanded their offerings to the public and tongues were wagging as to how they could have afforded it. Apparently the profit sharing plan down at the Lincoln has been good to Miss L. and she decided not to invest in stocks or bonds, but in a local business. Neither the waitress in question or the store owners had any comment to make on the subject. Tibetans are notoriously close-mouthed, but Miss L. was not her usual loquacious self, preferring to frown and walk away when approached."
Well, Dirk thought he had heard it all before, but this was so very unlike Louise. No other waitress at the Lincoln had a name beginning with "L" so it had to be her! She discussed her personal life with him all the time and no mention of this subject had come up at all. He thought he should do a little detective work. She never seemed to have a lot of money, but she was the most popular waitress there, made good tips, and what with the new tourist trade coming through and the rumored expansion, perhaps that profit-sharing plan comment could be true....He thought maybe a little bit of "car trouble" in front of Thelma Harper's house would find her sitting on the porch sipping iced tea and she might invite him to share some tea and some gossip. A few miles away from home, a faked stall, a minute or two under the hood with a few not-quite-under-the-breath curses, and Thelma opened the screen door and yelled from the porch. She had taken the bait!"Come on up, Dirk, rest a few minutes and have some tea and talk a bit."He knew he wouldn't do any talking. He was able to get out a "Thank you, I was thirsty," before she started asking if he had read the paper. He nodded, ready to talk, when she started in. He knew he had no chance to talk so smiled, sat down, and started to listen."What DID you think about the item about Louise? I knew something was up when Betty told me she had seen her out at the Gas 'N' Shop a lot when she drove by. She stopped a time or two just to get a Coke and see what was happening, but Louise always walked away from the counter when she entered and some big papers got rolled up and shoved under the counter by Lobsang. He's the taller one of them two Chinamen, you know. The other one is Tenzing. He's younger but smarter. Well, Betty thought maybe they were looking at building plans together. Sure 'nuff, a few months later, they started building an addition. Betty's cousin Fred works in the building inspector's office and told her that some of the beams in the old building were bad and had to be replaced. Tenzing had enough saved to build the addition but couldn't cover replacing that rotten wood and needed an investor. Betty told Fred that Louise had mentioned having some spare cash she was looking to invest and so Fred told Louise she should consider investing locally and that Tenzing and Lobsang needed some help. Fred's always been helpful to other people like that, you know."Dirk nodded. He had finished his tea and rose to leave, thinking at least part of the mystery was solved, when Thelma said, "Wait here, I will get you some more. The story isn't over yet. You'll like the rest of it." She had a twinkle in her eye as she rose and walked in. His head was spinning. Why hadn't Louise ever said anything about it to him? He thought they were good friends. He'd have to figure out how to bring it up with her and confirm this tale. Just then Thelma returned with a pitcher and poured another and started talking again."You see, Louise's Dad had been in China during WWII and learned that Tibetans were always honest and always repaid debts and he had told everyone in town about what good people they were. Why shouldn't she do it then? Fred was back for another inspection, crawling around in the attic and apparently forgotten by Tenzing one day when Louise came in and pulled the check out and laid it on the counter without saying a word except 'Here's the money you need.' Tenzing and Lobsang were happy and started talking to each other in that strange language for a few minutes, then Tenzing walked around the counter and kissed Louise on the mouth! Fred saw it all from the attic where the light fixture didn't fit tight. Now, almost every Tuesday night--Louise doesn't work Tuesday nights, you know--when Betty drives by the store--those Chinamen live in a room in the back, you know--Louise's car is there until very late. Betty knows because she drives by there often. So, Dirk, what do you think about all that?"Thelma had been talking so fast she needed a drink; Dirk realized this might be his only chance to say anything."That's very interesting, Thelma. Well, I've got to go wiggle some more wires and see if the old car will start. Thanks for the tea." With that, he sat down his glass and went down the steps."Come again, Dirk, hardly anyone ever comes to see me any more."Dirk made a show of doing something under the hood, walked around to the driver's door, and started the car. He yelled, "See ya later, Thelma," then waved, shut the hood, and drove off. Thoughts raced through his head at a hundred miles an hour about Louise. He thought he really knew her, that they were close, he even thought that maybe some day he'd work up the courage to ask her out. Now, he knew if what Thelma heard from Betty was true, then he might never have a chance to do that. He had some real hard thinking to do now. Home again, he poured a nice glass of bourbon (the taste of Thelma's tea was horrible--how DID she brew it?) and proceeded to drink and think. Think and drink. Drink and think....

Cluttermagnet

Aw, maaaan! :blink: It's going to take me hours to tie up all the loose ends, novice. You wascal! Ah well, no dream sequence to get me out of it this time- I will just have to tie all the ribbons and dot all the I's and cross all the T's...Oh but where are my manners- here, have a seat (sound of file drawer opening). Here's the contingencies file for Roadie Dirk, you know, when the character gets way behind in his dialog and has to sort of sprint ahead and jump the chasm, as it were, and all that good stuff. You go ahead and peruse it for anything useful while I...Drop back ten and punt!Hey, what's that over there?(CM vanishes in the blink of an eye, leaving a curious anomaly in your field of vision that won't quite resolve...You are having difficulty focusing...Your eyelids are getting heavy...You are feeling sleeeeeeeeeeeee... (Thud!) :blink: :)Edit: P.S. That's "King's Paunch" BTW. Just look at that iconic beer belly of yours and it may remind you- heh heh. Well, I'd be at the gym right now if they were open 24/7, but they insist on keeping Earth people's hours there for some reason...

• 3 years later...
Cluttermagnet

Hey, lookee- an unlisted url. I bet you didn't know about this one, most of you. Perhaps just as well...Rumor has it that Roadie Dirk was sighted over in King's Paunch last fall. CM is looking into it... :thumbsup: :whistling:

• 3 years later...
Cluttermagnet

Roadie Dirk pulled into the parking lot at the Tiki Lounge and did a double take. The rusty old Tiki Lounge sign was gone! In its place, a fancy new sign "The Restaurant at the Edge of the Universe". There were cars in the lot- half a dozen or more. The lights were on inside and he heard laughter.

"Dang! Someone claim jumped my luxurious digs while I was gone? Who could it be? Some townfolk? More Buddhist writers? Another aliens convention? Am I going to have to find another place?"

Ristdagger made his way a little uncertainly to the door and went in. Wow! Here were familiar faces- the place had been cleaned up and repainted quite attractively. The old Tiki Lounge sign adorned an end wall, and there was a new sign over the bar, something about "Highlanders" Roadie Dirk was overwhelmed.

Eric looked up from some Alien computer he was terraforming..."welcome home, Dirk." A hot cup of coffee materialized in Dirk's hands, with a little pat to the hand..."welcome back, Dirk." Bambi smiled sweetly. The moment swirled around Roadie Dirk, forever burned into memory...

Over at one of the larger tables were Corrine, Adam, Temmu, and Tushman engaged in spirited and boisterous conversation, and at another table sat Josh and Urmas, laughing loudly- something about Penguins...

"Oh, Auntie Em", thought Ristdagger to himself, "there's no place like home..." :sorcerer:

Cluttermagnet

Oh, a old trick puzzle- so happen we find out re answer tomorrow, next show... :whistling:

(What more, barrel of deadly aginimoto set to go off at end of meal!)

:hysterical:

Next week: "That's a heck of a projection TV you've got there, Eric!"

Edited by Cluttermagnet

@Temmu, as the chief Assimilator, you may have key insight on what happened to Erik. However, it appears that something dark and sinister accompanied Dirk's return.

Cluttermagnet
... did i make a wrong assumption? (um, probably)

... thought the "interactive" part of the title, "Further tales of the Tiki Lounge, an interactive story" meant we all take turns mauling the character development...

rsvp

This venue now has a new name and a new look and feel. What I found is that 'interactive' writing often messed with my character "Dirk" (and others). Some stubbornly and repeatedly tried to make him drink. Turns out that Dirk had burned out on that sort of thing years ago, and much preferred caffeine to alcohol. I had to resolutely apply the dream sequence over and over to rescue my character. So I guess I'm just saying "please don't mess with my characters, but otherwise, have at it".

My other observation is that I personally would research an existing character before I tried to create another to interact with it. That supports context, historical accuracy, and respect for the uniqueness and general 'unchangeability' of the personalities of higher life forms. Character forms and 'gels' early on in life. Sad how many men and women marry a beloved despite perceived shortcomings, telling themselves they will work on that partner and will get them to change 'for the better'. That's a very human trait, and it often leads to bitterness and unhappiness in both partners.

So is it a really jazzy projection TV or is it some inter-dimensional portal or wormhole? I'm going to let others decide. I was hoping to have a little chat with Eric's avatar (or the real Eric), but his character quickly got disappeared. Ah well... I think I'll stick to fictional characters, anyway. Dirk received an award in the mail recently, and was drawn to the lights, laughter, and good cheer like a moth to a candle.

I'm not sure exactly what purpose the old roadie served in my life. He emerged in the 'Test' area of the Forums one late night. So I had him test a sound system; hilarity ensued. I think that a lot of us needed some comic relief to blow off steam at the time. 2003 was the year we unnecessarily invaded Iraq, and a whole bunch of us Americans had strong misgivings whilst others shrilled about how treasonous we were for questioning what was happening. The bill of goods we were sold later proved, verifiably, to be lies. But let's not wax political here, as it is *frowned upon by this establishment!* ;)

The real Minister of (Mis-) Information provided some comic relief in those dark hours, and spawned a humor thread by Jeber. When that thread died down, Roadie Dirk found that rut and he moved in and furnished it. The 'interactive' intent was Jeber's. In practice, interactivity didn't work particularly well for me IMO. I need now to 'let go and let others...'

(Clutter passes talking stick and talking miniature football to Temmu...)

V.T. Eric Layton

I think you should start your own story, Temmu. You could call it "A Lowercase Lad Living in an Uppercase World" or "One Man's Fight Against Capalization" or maybe "Tales from the Broken Keyboard". ;)

Cluttermagnet
my intention was not to steal someone's thunder, or to disrupt someone's well-developed character...

i certainly didn't mean to step on your toes, cluttermagnet - but the thread title is "interactive..."

Well, absolutely no offense taken, Temmu. Precipitate indeed. With a super- saturated solution, you never know what might crystalize. ;)

The thread might be better off with some 'precipitate', I suspect. My character was preparing to adapt to the plot line 'wrinkle' you tossed out, sort of like tennis, I guess. "No worrys, mate!"

As I said in my previous post,

The real Minister of (Mis-) Information provided some comic relief in those dark hours, and spawned a humor thread by Jeber. When that thread died down, Roadie Dirk found that rut and he moved in and furnished it. The 'interactive' intent was Jeber's. In practice, interactivity didn't work particularly well for me IMO.
Unless one thoroughly researched the entire thread, including some 'footnotes' appearing in the text body, one would have no idea of how all this came about and who the actors were. It's like Jeber was the 'land developer' and I was the 'home builder'. My work got layered onto his.

I was in no position to argue with Jeber; during this transition, I accepted the 'interactive' thing with some trepidation- but it wasn't really my idea. One irony- the member "Novice Hack Writer" is actually a very good internet buddy of mine, and I invited him into that thread. Mayhem ensued. Sort of reminds me of multiple sets of hands fighting on a steering wheel- the vehicle inevitably rolls over and ends up in a ditch. OTOH when Jeber released a large, mean Wombat into the thread, my character was able to survive and deal with it.

I think that characters that can be whacked around like a polo ball don't hold up well at all. Conversely, characters who know the context they are being released into tend to get along better with existing characters they encounter. Alternately, they all mutually annoy or annihilate each other like in those stupid 'mortal combat' genre games, which are just one of many reasons why traditional computer gaming leaves me cold and disinterested. (Sorry, all you gamer guys)

Cluttermagnet
I think you should start your own story, Temmu. You could call it "A Lowercase Lad Living in an Uppercase World" or "One Man's Fight Against Capalization" or maybe "Tales from the Broken Keyboard". ;)

Ahhh- "a lowercase lad living in an Uppercase World"?

:whistling: :hysterical:

Actually, it's quickly becoming a "lowercase world", and people don't signal turns any more, either.

I'm soooo confused, here in the future... :unsure:

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Guest LilBambi

Wow, so many goings on! :D

Oh, no, "Dirk"! Bambi sits with "Dirk", holds his hand and murmurs encouraging words of restoration to his old self....don't change "Dirk"! We like you just the way you are. ;) Just bring the pendulum back to the center when it goes astray. ;) Do we need CPR for "Dirk"? I used to be qualified....

Ah, love Temmu's lowercase lad in an uppercase world title that Eric came up with. Cool stuff!

V.T. Eric Layton
eric: i hope your neighbors don't think that "hat" is an improvement... :lol:

i have a great face for radio, temmu. ;)

Cluttermagnet
Let your fingers do the walking

(Long, slow exhale...)

An empty slate...

Dirk sighed, remembering how school supplies were purchased in the last few days before... before... it was so much easier, looking over the big displays of shiny new ring binders, packs of punched, lined paper, a riot of pens and pencils in so many colors, those pink, wedge shaped erasers... before...

That was the klinker. Came the day, one had to be at the bus stop in the cool darkness of early morning... how would it be this year? A relatively happy year? Another tough one? That first day drifted by almost dreamlike. How could one simultaneously be fully immersed in an uncomfortable experience, viewing it in extreme detail, and at the same time detached from it, looking down on it as if one were spectator only? The days got easier, it was always the first that was hardest. An empty slate? Well, perhaps the newly opened notebook paper at least...

Is it any wonder that young Dirk began developing geek tendencies, just as he hit his teen years? The day to day school experience quickly receded into a somewhat distant second place, yet it unexpectedly and ironically exposed Dirk to a technical field early on, which quickly leaped to the forefront. Here were much more interesting- no, fascinating things- magical, sometimes mysterious things that could be taken apart and reassembled, and sometimes even worked! Yes, Dirk became a young radio man, and in that, began finding identity and meaning at last. The romance of the radio airwaves! Better late than never...

Roadie Dirk was startled from his reveries. There stood Barney, toting a mug of coffee. Uh- what? Coffee? "Hey Chief, it's been a while." Barney looked different somehow. Had he lost weight? He was sporting a good tan. "Holy cow, Barney! What have you all done to the old Tiki? I hardly recognize the place!" Dirk looked down at the cup of coffee in his own hands, and remembered he's been chatting with Bambi just a moment ago. It was the unfamiliarity of the moment, the lights, the merry chatter- that had whisked him away to glimpse dimly remembered moments from his past. "Yep, there's no place like home..."

Next week: Projection TV or inter-dimensional rift?

Edited by Cluttermagnet