Linux distribution, for offline use?

Elf Wizard

Hi! B) Any suggestion for a Linux distribution for offline use?A friend of mine wants me to download for him a Linux distro, so he can use it for everyday's activities (mainly for multimedia play and retrogaming (emulating old systems).The bad thing is that he doesn't have an internet connection or a phone line! (only a mobile phone) :( Keeping in mind, that he's a learner and mobile internet charges are really expensive here, what is the most appropriate distro for him? (an easy to use linux system with many apps preinstalled or with the ability to install from the installation media).I suppose a distribution that comes with a DVD? What distribution? Ubuntu DVD? OpenSUSE? Debian? Something different?Any help? :) PS. So far I gave him Ubuntu and I downloaded for him some packages (eg. DOSBox) that I gave him on a USB stick, while some other (eg. like VLC) it's complicated enough to download the package itself and all its dependencies.

I happen to be in Mandriva One 2010 at the moment. The "add/remove programs" shows a whole category for emulators, including one for Commodore and one for Amiga, as well as DOSbox and DOSemu. I can't verify that the DVD of Mandriva Free has all these things, but I think there's a very good chance it does. I had the three-CD-R set one or two versions back, and it was packed with stuff.Hope that helps. I've never explored emulators very much (except DOSemu to run WordPerfect) so I can't vouch for what OpenSUSE or any of the other "large" distributions might have on their DVDs.

Edited by Eggdog

Hmm... Ultimate Edition might be a good choice here:http://ultimateedition.info/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Edition_(Ubuntu)http://ultimateedition.info/ultimate-edition-2-3/

Ultimate-Edition-2.3-x86 [2.1GB]—————————-Ultimate-Edition-2.3-x64 [2.4GB]—————————-Ultimate-Edition-2.3-Gamers-x86 [3.7GB]
I'd say that's... enough "extra" software to keep your friend busy for a day or two. B)

V.T. Eric Layton

From what Elf Wizard is saying, his friend is going to need distro with everything ON THE DVD, because he cannot use online repos to d-load anything. Alternatively, EW is going to have to d-load the extras wanted and install manually on the friend's system.

From what Elf Wizard is saying, his friend is going to need distro with everything ON THE DVD, because he cannot use online repos to d-load anything.
Yup. Hence, Ultimate Edition - or some other "comes-with-all-the-goodies-rehash". :) butwaittheresmore.gif B)

THANKS GUYS!!! ;) :thumbsup: B) I'll try them! :) PS. Ultimate Edition looks good. For the time being (since the new version has just arrived) the servers are overloaded and torrent is not working.I'll retry within the next few days!THANKS AGAIN!!! :thumbsup: