Grub2 install issues

securitybreach

I am having issues installing grub2 on my Arch system. I followed this http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Grub2 and I get kernel not found>?Here is my /boot/grub/grub.cfg to begin with:
╔═ comhack@Venus 09:59 AM ╚═══ ~-> cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg.pacsave # Config file for GRUB2 - The GNU GRand Unified Bootloader# /boot/grub/grub.cfg[code]# DEVICE NAME CONVERSIONS##  Linux		   Grub# -------------------------#  /dev/fd0		(fd0)#  /dev/sda		(hd0)#  /dev/sdb2	   (hd1,2)#  /dev/sda3	   (hd0,3)#

# Timeout for menuset timeout=5# Set default boot entry as Entry 0set default=0# (0) Arch Linuxmenuentry "Arch Linux" {set root=(hd0,1)linux /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda2 roinitrd /boot/kernel26.img}## (1) Windowsmenuentry "Windows 7" {set root=(hd0,0)chainloader +1}[/code]Any ideals? Thanks

It appears to me that your partition numbering is wrong. You are showing
# DEVICE NAME CONVERSIONS##  Linux		   Grub# -------------------------#  /dev/fd0		(fd0)#  /dev/sda		(hd0)#  /dev/sdb2	   (hd1,2)#  /dev/sda3	   (hd0,3)#

While it should be

# DEVICE NAME CONVERSIONS##  Linux		   Grub# -------------------------#  /dev/fd0		(fd0)#  /dev/sda		(hd0)#  /dev/sdb2	   (hd1,1)#  /dev/sda3	   (hd0,2)#

Edited by lewmur

securitybreach

Thanks but everything is already solved. Look at post #10 in this thread.Thanks

Edited by securitybreach

Thanks but everything is already solved. Look at post #10 in this thread.Thanks
I read it but didn't realize that it was actually working. This entry seems wrong:
menuentry "Arch Linux" --class "arch" {	set root=[color="#FF0000"](hd0,2[/color])	linux /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/[color="#FF0000"]sda2[/color] ro  video=vesafb:mode=1680x1050-32 vga=0x369	initrd /boot/kernel26.img

Shouldn't sda2 be (hd0,1)?

Bruno is correct. Grub 2 changed the numbering The hard drives start with 0 for the first hard drive and the partitions start with 1 for the 1st partition.MelPS see some of my earlier posts on grub 2

securitybreach
Bruno is correct. Grub 2 changed the numbering The hard drives start with 0 for the first hard drive and the partitions start with 1 for the 1st partition.MelPS see some of my earlier posts on grub 2
The partition was what had me confused in the beginning. My initial error was because I used (hd0,1) instead of (hd0,2). Thanks for the information anyway.THanks

Bruno is correct. Grub 2 changed the numbering The hard drives start with 0 for the first hard drive and the partitions start with 1 for the 1st partition.Mel
Why? Just to make it more confusing? Dumb, Dumb, Dumb! What possible reasoning would have them number the drives one way and the partitions another? For that matter, what reason would there be to change it from the traditional numbering? Just to give us something to discuss in ATL? :) Edited by lewmur

Why? Just to make it more confusing? Dumb, Dumb, Dumb! What possible reasoning would have them number the drives one way and the partitions another? For that matter, what reason would there be to change it from the traditional numbering? Just to give us something to discuss in ATL? :)
+1The old way, once you understood that 0=1 you were OK. But now 0=1 and 0=0 and 1=0! :rolleyes: Maybe monkeys dreamed it up.Someone once said that a million monkeys tapping on typewriters could eventually write Shakespeare, but now the invention of the Internet has proved it not to be true. :w00t: Edited by sunrat

securitybreach

Well I agree it was confusing and pointless. I was reading about it last night and it seems that the change was implemented back in 2006 in the grub alpha build. So it was documented, I just did not read the changelog first like I should have.Thanks

Edited by securitybreach