Grub2 install issues

securitybreach

securitybreach

I am having issues installing grub2 on my Arch system. I followed this http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Grub2 and I get kernel not found>?Here is my /boot/grub/grub.cfg to begin with:

╔═ comhack@Venus 09:59 AM ╚═══ ~-> cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg.pacsave # Config file for GRUB2 - The GNU GRand Unified Bootloader# /boot/grub/grub.cfg# DEVICE NAME CONVERSIONS##  Linux		   Grub# -------------------------#  /dev/fd0		(fd0)#  /dev/sda		(hd0)#  /dev/sdb2	   (hd1,2)#  /dev/sda3	   (hd0,3)## Timeout for menuset timeout=5# Set default boot entry as Entry 0set default=0# (0) Arch Linuxmenuentry "Arch Linux" {set root=(hd0,1)linux /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda2 roinitrd /boot/kernel26.img}## (1) Windowsmenuentry "Windows 7" {set root=(hd0,0)chainloader +1}

Here is my /boot/grub dir:

╔═ comhack@Venus 09:59 AM  ╚═══ ~-> ls /boot/grub/ acpi.mod affs.mod afs.mod afs_be.mod aout.mod at_keyboard.mod ata.mod ata_pthru.mod befs.mod befs_be.mod biosdisk.mod bitmap.mod blocklist.mod boot.img boot.mod bsd.mod bufio.mod cat.mod cdboot.img chain.mod cmp.mod command.lst configfile.mod core.img cpio.mod cpuid.mod crc.mod date.mod datehook.mod datetime.mod default device.map diskboot.img dm_nv.mod drivemap.mod e2fs_stage1_5 echo.mod efiemu.mod elf.mod ext2.mod extcmd.mod fat.mod fat_stage1_5 ffs_stage1_5 font.mod fs.lst fs_file.mod fs_uuid.mod fshelp.mod gfxterm.mod gptsync.mod grub.cfg.pacsave gzio.mod halt.mod handler.lst handler.mod hdparm.mod hello.mod help.mod hexdump.mod hfs.mod hfsplus.mod iso9660.mod iso9660_stage1_5 jfs.mod jfs_stage1_5 jpeg.mod kernel.img keystatus.mod linux.mod linux16.mod lnxboot.img loadenv.mod loopback.mod ls.mod lsmmap.mod lspci.mod lvm.mod mdraid.mod memdisk.mod memrw.mod menu.lst menu.lst.grub1-backup menu.lst.pacsave minicmd.mod minix.mod minix_stage1_5 mmap.mod moddep.lst msdospart.mod multiboot.mod normal.mod ntfs.mod ntfscomp.mod ohci.mod part_acorn.mod part_amiga.mod part_apple.mod part_gpt.mod part_msdos.mod part_sun.mod partmap.lst parttool.lst parttool.mod password.mod pci.mod play.mod png.mod probe.mod pxe.mod pxeboot.img pxecmd.mod raid.mod raid5rec.mod raid6rec.mod read.mod reboot.mod reiserfs.mod reiserfs_stage1_5 scsi.mod search.mod serial.mod setjmp.mod sfs.mod sh.mod sleep.mod stage1 stage2 stage2_eltorito tar.mod terminfo.mod test.mod tga.mod true.mod udf.mod ufs1.mod ufs2.mod ufs2_stage1_5 uhci.mod usb.mod usb_keyboard.mod usbms.mod usbtest.mod vbe.mod vbeinfo.mod vbetest.mod vga.mod vga_text.mod video.mod video_fb.mod videotest.mod vstafs_stage1_5 xfs.mod xfs_stage1_5 xnu.mod xnu_uuid.mod

And here are my partitions:

╔═ comhack@Venus 09:59 AM ╚═══ ~-> df -hFilesystem			Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on/dev/sda2			  33G  6.6G   24G  22% /none				  3.0G  152K  3.0G   1% /devnone				  3.0G	 0  3.0G   0% /dev/shm/dev/sda6			 718G  346G  336G  51% /home/dev/sda3			  97G  4.8G   87G   6% /other/dev/sdb1			 459G  302G  134G  70% /backup

Any ideals? Thanks

Edited by securitybreach

Can you boot it manually from the grub propt? have you run "update-grub" as root without quotes? The Grub2 Config is not supposed to be edited. I added custom entries in /etc/grub.d/40_custom file. Here is mine.Mel#!/bin/shexec tail -n +3 $0# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change# the 'exec tail' line abovemenuentry "All Ubuntu 9.04, linux 2.6.28-16-generic (on /dev/sdb1)" { set root=(hd1,1) linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb1 so quiet splash initrd /initrd.img}menuentry "openSUSE 11.1 (on /dev/sdb5)" { insmod ext2 set root=(hd1,5) search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 2ec52318-bf66-421e-a4ce-1735639575ba linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.7-9-default root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD800JB-00FMA0_WD-WMAJ91089038-part5 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Maxtor_6Y080P0_Y2Q2N22E-part5 splash=silent showopts vga=0x348 initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.27.7-9-default}menuentry "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sdb1)" { insmod ntfs set root=(hd1,1) search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set ba146da7146d66fb chainloader +1}menuentry "Mandriva-Gnome 2010" { insmod ext2 set root=(hd1,8) linux (hd1,8)/boot/vmlinuz initrd (hd1,8)/boot/initrd.img}

securitybreach

Yes, I ran

grub install /dev/sda

as root. I will compare my config and yours later on today when I get off of work. So is it better to use UIDs instead of /dev/sda*.Here is my /boot/grub/menu.lst:

# general configuration:timeout   5default   0color light-blue/black light-cyan/blue# boot sections follow# each is implicitly numbered from 0 in the order of appearance below## TIP: If you want a 1024x768 framebuffer, add "vga=773" to your kernel line.##-*# (0) Arch Linuxtitle  Arch Linuxroot   (hd0,1)kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/210dfab9-27b5-4fea-92c5-767c5af200f1 ro vga=0x369initrd /boot/kernel26.img# (1) Slackwaretitle  Slackware 13root   (hd0,2)kernel /boot/vmlinuz-huge-2.6.29.6 root=/dev/sda3 vga=0x369boot# (2) Windowstitle Windoze 7 Ultimate rootnoverify (hd0,0)makeactivechainloader +1# (3) Arch Linuxtitle  Fallbackroot   (hd0,1)kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/210dfab9-27b5-4fea-92c5-767c5af200f1 roinitrd /boot/kernel26-fallback.img

Thanks

Edited by securitybreach

Yes, I ran
 grub install /dev/sda

as root. I will compare my config and yours later on today when I get off of work.Thanks

If you need to direct boot to get into it. Here is the way.Mel Direct booting by naming the kernel and initrd filesGrub1 and Grub2 can boot only OSes they support and since MS Windows are not supported no direct booting is possible.There are similar small changes in commands between Grub1 and Grub2 here. Say if I have a Linux in same partition as the above.In a standard Linux the kernel name always starts with vmlinuz and the initrd file starts with initrd. These files by default are stored in the /boot subdirectory. Both Grub1 and Grub2 can do completion with the tab key so if I type Code:
kernel /boot/vmli and follow by the tab key Grub will try to find all the files in /boot subdirectory to match the first "vmli" caharcters. Therefore there is no need to know the kernal and initrd filenames in advance if one knows to use the tab key to complete the command.
Say if my Linux has vmlinuz-2.6.18-6-686 and initrd.img-2.6.18-6-686 in /boot subdirectory one can boot up the Linux with Grub1 commands of Code:
root (hd0,1) kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-6-686 root=/dev/sda11 ro initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-6-686 boot For Grub2 the corresponding commands will be
Code:
set root=(hd0,2) linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-6-686 root=/dev/sda11 initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-6-686 boot
Edited by mhbell

securitybreach

What do you mean by "Direct Boot"? If you mean booting the partition that has a broken grub, I can easily reinstall grub. That is what I have done right now until I can figure out what is wrong.Thanks

Edited by securitybreach

What do you mean by "Direct Boot"? If you mean booting the partition that has a broken grub, I can easily reinstall grub. That is what I have done right now until I can figure out what is wrong.Thanks
In grub 2 you can direct boot any OS if you can get to a grub prompt. You can also boot with legacy grub from a boot prompt. with Grub 2 installed what does your debug log say? (you can get the debug output by runningcode
'grub-install --debug /dev/sda')
You might also change your entry in grub2 config to the following. What you have code
# (0) Arch Linuxmenuentry "Arch Linux" {set root=(hd0,1)linux /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda2 roinitrd /boot/kernel26.img}
try this code
# (0) Arch Linuxmenuentry "Arch Linux" {set root=(hd0,2)linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2 so quiet splashinitrd /initrd.img}
note set root (hd0,2)Mel B) Edited by mhbell

securitybreach

Ok it worked great. To begin with I have this:

# (0) Arch Linuxmenuentry "Arch Linux" {set root=(hd0,2)linux /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda2 ro video=vesafb:mode=1280x1024-32 vga=795initrd /boot/kernel26.img}

Now to configure. Thanks

Edited by securitybreach

securitybreach

Wow, dmesg is huge!!!! I also noticed this at the bottom of dmesg:

Bluetooth: Core ver 2.15NET: Registered protocol family 31Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initializedBluetooth: HCI socket layer initializeddevice eth0 entered promiscuous modeeth0: no IPv6 routers present
Ok I have no bluetooth devices and do not have any bluetooth stuff installed. Also what is with the no IPv6 routers? Anyone know how to stop these? EDIT: Well now they do not show up now for some reason. The only issue I have is my framebuffer is only 1280x1024 instead of the correct one 1680x1050 like grub1 used.Thanks Edited by securitybreach

securitybreach

I have it perfect. Here is a screenshot of my grub2 menu. It is not my screenshot but it is the same except for the entries:92559d55824543.gifHere is my final /boot/grub/grub.cfg:

╔═ comhack@Venus 07:22 PM ╚═══ ~-> cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg# You can set supported resolutions here, but#	 be aware that the theme will not work#	 properly unless it is running on#	 what it was designed for.set gfxmode=1680x1050insmod biosdiskinsmod pcinsmod fontinsmod vbeinsmod gfxterminsmod videotestinsmod tgainsmod pnginsmod gfxmenu#set menuviewer="terminal"set menuviewer="gfxmenu"#set theme="/boot/grub/themes/proto/theme.txt"set theme="/boot/grub/themes/archsphere/theme.txt"# TODO: fix GRUB script parser -- it doesn't handle a space at the end of the line in a menu entry.######################## BEGIN MENU ####set timeout=8set default="0"set fallback="1"# Entry 0 - Arch Linuxmenuentry "Arch Linux" --class "arch" {	set root=(hd0,2)	linux /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda2 ro  video=vesafb:mode=1680x1050-32 vga=0x369	initrd /boot/kernel26.img}# Entry 1 - Arch Linux (Fallback)menuentry "Arch Linux Fallback" --class "arch" {	set root=(hd0,2)	linux /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda2 ro	initrd /boot/kernel26-fallback.img}## (1) Windowsmenuentry "Windows 7 Ultimate" {set root=(hd0,1)chainloader +1}####  END MENU  ######################### Choose the font for gfxterm.set gfxterm_font="Fixed 12"# Load fonts.# Generated with:#  ls *.pf2 | perl -pe 's{^}{loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/}'loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/10x20.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/4x6.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/5x7.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/5x8.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/6x10.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/6x12.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/6x13B.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/6x13O.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/6x13.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/6x9.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/7x13B.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/7x13O.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/7x13.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/7x14B.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/7x14.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/8x13B.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/8x13O.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/8x13.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/9x15B.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/9x15.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/9x18B.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/9x18.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/anorexia.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/aqui.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/clR6x12.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/cure.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/drift.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/edges.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/fkp.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/gelly.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/glisp-bold.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/glisp.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/Helvetica-10.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/Helvetica-12.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/Helvetica-14.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/Helvetica-18.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/Helvetica-24.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/Helvetica-8.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/Helvetica-Bold-10.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/Helvetica-Bold-12.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/Helvetica-Bold-14.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/Helvetica-Bold-18.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/Helvetica-Bold-24.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/Helvetica-Bold-8.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/helvR12.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/kates.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/lime.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/mints-mild.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/mints-strong.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-10.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-12.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-14.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-18.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-24.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-8.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-Bold-10.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-Bold-12.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-Bold-14.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-Bold-18.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-Bold-24.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-Bold-8.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/nu.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/smoothansi.pf2loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/snap.pf2

Now to find out how to add Slackware 13 to my grub.cfg. I am not in a rush but it does need to be done eventually. Even though I have not booted into Slackware 13 since I installed it. Sorry Eric :hysterical: Thanks

Edited by securitybreach

Hi SecurityI see that your windows is on the drive one in partition one. Mine is win 7 on the second hard drive partition 8 and xp on Second hard drive partion 1 and Vista is partition 6 the windows 7 boot loader is in Partition 1 of the second hard drive. That is why I had to change the device map because I had to fool windows into thinking it was on the first hard drive in order to boot it when it is in the (slave CS) second hard drive rack. Also the windows boot loader is used to boot XP and vista as well as 7.Mel :hysterical: I love that grub 2 :o

securitybreach
Hi Security I see that your windows is on the drive one in partition one. Mine is win 7 on the second hard drive partition 8 and xp on Second hard drive partion 1 and Vista is partition 6 the windows 7 boot loader is in Partition 1 of the second hard drive. That is why I had to change the device map because I had to fool windows into thinking it was on the first hard drive in order to boot it when it is in the (slave CS) second hard drive rack. Also the windows boot loader is used to boot XP and vista as well as 7. Mel :hysterical: I love that grub 2 :o
Thanks alot. BTW I use grub2-gfxmenu instead of grub2. About the windows issue, I try not to use windows at all. The only reason I have a windows install is for gaming only. I disable my network device to totally lock it down. If I did not like gaming on the pc so much, I would be completely windows free.Thanks Edited by securitybreach

Thanks alot. BTW I use grub2-gfxmenu instead of grub2. About the windows issue, I try not to use windows at all. The only reason I have a windows install is for gaming only. I disable my network device to totally lock it down. If I did not like gaming on the pc so much, I would be completely windows free.Thanks
as a former PC Tech and Consultant I had to keep up with all versions of windows and the updates and changes.I only have windows on separate hard drives that I can put in my hard drive rack and boot to anytime I need to reference something or keep them updated.MelPS I use the grub2-gfxmenu also, but in grub2.

securitybreach

mhbell: I understand. I was hoping you was not that big of a windows fan, sorry just kidding. :hysterical: Anyway, thanks alot for the help with Grub2. I main problem was that I did not know the partitions were labeled differently. Once I got that part down it was pretty easy from there.Eric: I know you probably do not use Arch's grub for your bootloader, but there are some really cool themes in AUR. I would imagine since they use the source to compile you could grab the source from the webpages and use them on another distros Grub2:http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?O=0&...mp;do_Search=Goand all the community packages for Grub2:http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?O=0&...mp;do_Search=GoYou can see screenshots of them here:http://foro.archlinux.cl/viewtopic.php?id=12 Its not in english but do not need language for pics :o Here is some more from the Archlinux forums. Not all of these are Arch and it has some great tips for Grub2: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=56576&p=1BTW the resolution comes in 1024x768 but scale easily all the way up to 1680x1050.Thanks

Edited by securitybreach

securitybreach

Anyone know how disable the

Grub loading...Welcome to Grub
dialog that appears for a split second before Grub2 loads? I cannot find anything on it and I am usually pretty good with finding things. I would like to shave that useless one second off of my boot if it is not needed.Thanks Edited by securitybreach

V.T. Eric Layton

Hey SB, no need to apologize about not having booted into Slack yet, especially if you installed it with KDE4. ;)Thanks for the info about the Arch GRUB themes... will check them out. :w00t:Here's my latest GRUB splash... I can't post it here at Scot's as an image for obvious reasons --> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/vte...ng?t=1258082651

securitybreach
Hey SB, no need to apologize about not having booted into Slack yet, especially if you installed it with KDE4. :o Thanks for the info about the Arch GRUB themes... will check them out. :hysterical: Here's my latest GRUB splash... I can't post it here at Scot's as an image for obvious reasons --> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/vte...ng?t=1258082651
Very nice!!!! Hehehehe, I like it.Thanks Edited by securitybreach

Hey SB, no need to apologize about not having booted into Slack yet, especially if you installed it with KDE4. ;) Thanks for the info about the Arch GRUB themes... will check them out. :w00t: Here's my latest GRUB splash... I can't post it here at Scot's as an image for obvious reasons --> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/vte...ng?t=1258082651
Hmmm :o I wonder why it was removed. what could it be. :hysterical: Ah Hah! Now I know whyvteng.jpg Edited by mhbell

V.T. Eric Layton

Not to my knowledge. Are you saying that when you click on the raw link I posted above that you're getting that Photobucket warning about the picture being removed? Because that's strange. It's still on my Photobucket account and I still see it when I click on the link.

Not to my knowledge. Are you saying that when you click on the raw link I posted above that you're getting that Photobucket warning about the picture being removed? Because that's strange. It's still on my Photobucket account and I still see it when I click on the link.
I clicked on a link in my email telling me of a new post by you and that little Icon is what I got. have you cleared the cache in your browser? I made a copy of the Icon that was displayed at the time. I blacked out the word photobucket on the image that was displayed.Melvteng.jpg

V.T. Eric Layton

Cleared cache and can still see with no problems. I even see it in other Linux installations on my system using different browsers (Slack 12.2 w/ Konqueror, Slack 13 w/ Seamonkey). Very strange. I believe the issue may be on your end, Mel. :hysterical:

Cleared cache and can still see with no problems. I even see it in other Linux installations on my system using different browsers (Slack 12.2 w/ Konqueror, Slack 13 w/ Seamonkey). Very strange. I believe the issue may be on your end, Mel. ;)
No I don't think so. There were two links in the email that I got. The second link was the one. I deleted the email so am unable to duplicate. perhaps the link was wrong or you deleted or moved something on photobucket. :hysterical:

V.T. Eric Layton

Nope. Never changed a thing since first posting it here. Sue can see it. That's weird. Maybe your computer has a G-rating, Mel. ;)

Well Eric I guess you did not understand what I was trying to tell you. So I will try again. Yes I can see the special Salute. However in the email that I get from scotsnews letter telling me that there is a new post in a thread that I have subscribed to. There was 2 two links to the special salute. The first link took me there. However when I clicked the second link it took me to a page on Photobucket that had that little image displayed. I thought that maybe you had something there that was not allowed, deleted, or moved. So I posted the little image so you could check.Mel ;)