Windows 7

kamicota

Hi ALL after a long HIATUS :"> from THIS forum seems like the time may have come to ACTUALLY install Windows 7 and TRIPLE boot--->>>XP/Linux and Windows 7The partition structure at present looks something like thisXP 21GXP program installs 22GXP downloads etc 29GLinux / 17GLinux Swap 3.4GLinus home 54GAspiration are two foldEither delete Linux partitions - repartition into 4 partitions - one for Windows 7 or Delete all Linux partitions and also the 29G XP downloads and use the resulting 104G for both Linux and Windows 7 and --->>> :w00t: somehow Triple bootAny ideas out thereBy the way Frank this is the uncertainty that has resulted in no backups as yetCheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

Boy LizThat is going to take some digesting and ESPECIALLY as I want Linux to be the boot manager probably MDV 2010 KDESo guess I will be pretty QUIET :( for a while until this sinks in :"> Cheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

LizThe link seems to have sunk in :thumbsup: to the point it seems as if XP will/or can Reformat the 29GB download partition ready for Windows 7 - reformat MDV 2009.1 partitions and then install MDV 2010 (which flavour undecided right now :'( )And hopefully--->>>MDV will see both Windows OS'sBUT--->>>The uncertainty over graphiics and their programs in 7 leave a little bit of turmoil in the stomachPlus the need for "Silverlight" and certain websited only through IE and not available in FF are only adding to the procrastination :w00t: As the latest Mac advert on TV shows PC --->>>trust me--->>>trust me--->>>trust me all the way back to Windows 3 does leave the trek to Windows 7 a little up in the air even though it has been on the go since my post on Aug 30th 2009 And this for an impulsive "November's Child" is obviously a cause for stagnation :thumbsup: :hmm: :w00t: Cheers for YearsColin :w00t:

Edited by kamicota

Colin,FWIW my wife uses Silverlight with Firefox 3.5.2 all the time. It works just fine without IE.Plus 7's really quite nice once you get it configured the way you want it. I jumped in with both feet after a backup(image) of XP. I don't miss XP at all on my primary PC. Still have it on a secondary PC, My wife's PC and our laptop. Mostly because I didn't want to sink another $400 in OS's from Microsoft when for the most part XP is working fine on the other PC's.

Hi Liz & Fuzzbutt :whistling: Procrastination OVERCOME have just bought a third Desktop to Play with Windows 7 and Linux--->>>http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...E:X:AAQ:CA:1123Because at this point am NOT :hysterical: prepared to undo all the things I have on the Quad and 4600+ Dual (Both XP machines with MDV 2010)This way when I am comfortable with 7 and various Linux's will gradually try it then on the 4600 followed by the QuadCheers for YearsColin :thumbsdown:

Edited by kamicota

Colin,FWIW my wife uses Silverlight with Firefox 3.5.2 all the time. It works just fine without IE.Plus 7's really quite nice once you get it configured the way you want it. I jumped in with both feet after a backup(image) of XP. I don't miss XP at all on my primary PC. Still have it on a secondary PC, My wife's PC and our laptop. Mostly because I didn't want to sink another $400 in OS's from Microsoft when for the most part XP is working fine on the other PC's.
You don't need to spend that much. If you move quickly (limited time offer), MS is offering a 3 license "Family Pack" WIN7 Home Premium Upgrade package for $149.00. That's less than $50 per PC. It has both 32bit and 64bit versions included. You can find it here. Edited by mac

Thanks MacThat is a great offer but two things do not gel here in B.C. for me anyways --->>>It is an upgrade and Windows 7 does NOT upgrade from XPIt would be Windows 7 Professional that is needed so that XP apps could be played with.Cheers for YearsColin :hysterical:

It is an upgrade and Windows 7 does NOT upgrade from XPIt would be Windows 7 Professional that is needed so that XP apps could be played with.
While you can't do an in place upgrade from Windows XP, you can use the upgrade version to upgrade from a full XP license - you'd just have to do a full install.You are correct about the XP virtualization, although I have yet to find a need for it. I don't have any really old apps that I use, and anything that has come up has been solved by a software update or compatability mode.

RyanRE--->>>While you can't do an in place upgrade from Windows XP, you can use the upgrade version to upgrade from a full XP license - you'd just have to do a full install.--->>>What I am understanding here is - do a full Windows 7 install to replace XP from the Upgrade Windows 7 packageAnd I may have not explained my self adequately - it was the graphics plugins and actions from my image editing programs in XP may not be supported in Windows 7 unless it is the Professional Version. With Dual boot XP and Windows 7 although have read there is a foldere in Windows 7 Professional that utilizes XP programs which again seems to rule out Windows Home PremiumAlthough I will retrasce my steps to MS$ and compare the versions again--->>>Just checked and seems as if I was right in Home Premium --->>>Run many Windows XP productivity programs in Windows XP Mode. IS NOT CHECKEDCheers for yearsColin :thumbsup:

Edited by kamicota

RyanRE--->>>While you can't do an in place upgrade from Windows XP, you can use the upgrade version to upgrade from a full XP license - you'd just have to do a full install.--->>>What I am understanding here is - do a full Windows 7 install to replace XP from the Upgrade Windows 7 packageAnd I may have not explained my self adequately - it was the graphics plugins and actions from my image editing programs in XP may not be supported in Windows 7 unless it is the Professional Version. With Dual boot XP and Windows 7 although have read there is a foldere in Windows 7 Professional that utilizes XP programs which again seems to rule out Windows Home PremiumAlthough I will retrasce my steps to MS$ and compare the versions again--->>>Just checked and seems as if I was right in Home Premium --->>>Run many Windows XP productivity programs in Windows XP Mode. IS NOT CHECKEDCheers for yearsColin :thumbsup:
Using upgrade media to clean install using your XP license will invalidate your XP license.If you attempt to use your XP license in the future you will find that you cannot activate it.A great alternative is OEM versions of Win 7.Below is a link to the OEM version of Win 7 Professional, a full version, not an upgrade.http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....essional+32-bitThe OEM version can only be activated on one machine (motherboard) and you supply your own support besides routine updates.It is a full version and a lot cheaper than full retail.At $139.99 US it is $142.00 US cheaper than the full retail DVD.It is my plan to purchase the OEM Win 7 home premium version as soon as I can afford it, in the meantime I'm using the Release Candidate (good until March 2010). Edited by Frank Golden

Thanks FrankI see the link is US$ so the conversions rate applies B) Have also been looking Ebay and Memory Express for suitable OEM or full (Canada of course :thumbsup: )But like you will PROBABLY experiment on the new/old IBM with the rtm version until I see what happens before the 4600+ or possibly the Quad are touched at allFrank this total uncertainity about upsetting anything in XP on both present desktops is the reason there has been NO attempt to Back up either systemHope you understandCheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

Edited by kamicota

Colin,You would really like how much better 7 runs on the quad core vs. XP. I am truely amazed how much better the same hardware works with a new operating system. This is even considering that Intel's speedstep is active and stepping down the MHZ of my 2.510GHz quad core down to the 1600MHz level for most of anything it is doing/processing.

Using upgrade media to clean install using your XP license will invalidate your XP license.If you attempt to use your XP license in the future you will find that you cannot activate it.
Ummmm, Frank do you know this from personal experience, or from hearsay? I'm dual-booting XP Pro full retail and Vista Ultimate upgrade (clean install to a seperate partition) on one PC, and dual-booting XP Pro full retail and Vista Business upgrade (clean install to a seperate partition) on the other PC with no problems. IF the statement above is factual, it's a major departure from MS's previous behaviour regarding upgrade procedures.

FuzzButtThe "new/old" IBM is a test machine to see if I can get my XP in conjunction with Windows 7 or just install XP software in Windows 7 to see if it works in preparation for it's possible migration to both or either one of the 4600+ and Quad IBM (ex lease m/c) ships with --->>>Windows XP Professional Installed with COA License key - and will experiment with this Windows 7 and Linux. As to how to do this is still up in the air.While Frank's--->>>Using upgrade media to clean install using your XP license will invalidate your XP license.--->>>presents a little dilema with all this but we will see what happens when the IBM arrives and is hooked up to the KVM with the other two deskiesCheers for yearsColin :hysterical:

Ummmm, Frank do you know this from personal experience, or from hearsay? I'm dual-booting XP Pro full retail and Vista Ultimate upgrade (clean install to a seperate partition) on one PC, and dual-booting XP Pro full retail and Vista Business upgrade (clean install to a seperate partition) on the other PC with no problems. IF the statement above is factual, it's a major departure from MS's previous behaviour regarding upgrade procedures.
Hi mac, No I don't have personal experience but I do have info from the web regarding this issue.http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/914..._trick_is_legalBear in mind that MS requires users to have the Windows Genuine Advantage Tool installed in XP, Vista and Win 7.If a license is invalid then you would come up against the above tool when you try to do a computer update.Sure you could avoid updating but that is not a good idea.The uncertainty is why I will be purchasing the OEM version of Win 7 Home Premium and not considering the upgrade DVD of the same.Besides the OEM is listed at Newegg at $104.99 versus $112.99 for the upgrade.I know that the OEM only includes either the 32 bit or 64 bit version of Win 7 Home Premium not both, that isn't an issue for me.Since I have no plans on using the OEM on more than (1) computer nor need MS support those limitations of OEM don't apply to me.Doing so will ensure that my XP license is intact.No uncertainty here.Don't underestimate MS, by using your XP license to do a clean install of Win 7 from upgrade media, you are leaving your self open to MS invalidating your XP install the first time you try to update XP.By using your XP license to validate you are telling MS so when you activate your new Win 7 install.I've heard it said that doing so would be a logistical nightmare for MS but with the activation process and Windows Genuine Advantage the process is automatic.In conclusion I won't risk my XP license to prove a point.

Thankx QuintHave GParted - have been hesitant to "RESIZE" a partition before - have always deleted repartitioned and reinstalled.Just a little wary about the resizing procedure - but will see what happens when the IBM arrives.Will try and set it up to have an XP partition 3 Linux Partitions and one for Windows 7 just for starters even though I like programs installed on a separate windows partitionHeck :hysterical: with all this info and what is happening wish the IBM was here Cheers for YearsColin ;)

Edited by kamicota

Boy thank you so much Corrine ;) Two very full links and found some software is pending some are OK and some NOT but SO many pages to go through did not extensively search for ALL the programs that are running in XPThank heavens I use a KVM and can play with Windows 7 on the new/old IBM and switch to the others two and see what to do nextCheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

Thanks CorrineClicked on the link and this is what I got--->>>Server Error in '/' Application.Oh well maybe their server will be up soon :rolleyes: Cheers for yearsColin :)

It's makes interesting reading Corrine :) Think mine will have to all be CUSTOM installs as XP on both m/cs and possibly the third are 32bit and want to take advantage of both the Dual and Quad core m/cs with 64 bit OS'sCheers for yearsColin :rolleyes:

Back again after--->>>Yesterday the new/old IBM arrived and did a resize of the XP to 21GB on the whole of the 160GB drive left a block of 100+GB partition in the middle and a final 30GB NTFS partition at the endInstalled Windows 7 then MDV 2010 ONE Gnome in the middle partitions and it went flalwessly except on boot up there was only ONE Windows in Grub w00t.gif but when activated gave both 7 and XP to boot fromNow we will see what happens from thereBut now in Windows 7 there is an UNEXPLAINABLE ADDITION B) B) :rolleyes: Found that there is a 18GB drive "D" with IBM Tools etc and programs on it.Looking in MDV control center it does not show up either AND :thumbsup: I can access the Folders on itIs there an explanation of this or what is it I am missing :"> ???Cheers for YearsColin :lol:

Edited by kamicota

Hi Colin,Dell and HP put a "restore" partition on their laptop PCs, and I'd imagine that IBM is also doing this. If you read through the manual on the PC you should find that there's a key (normally one of the "F" keys) that you can hit while the PC is booting up (before the O/S starts) that will activate this restore function. If you allow it to run, it will wipe (format) the drive and restore the PC to the condition that it was in when it shipped from the factory. I'm not sure if it formats the whole drive, less the restore partition, or just the "C:\" drive.I used this restore function on my brother's Dell laptop after it got so infested with virii and trojans that a clean install was preferable to trying to clean it up.HTH

MacHave had restore partitions on previous computers but they always showed up in Gparted and MDV control center disksBut on the new/old IBM they don't. And both in XP and Windows 7 there is the 18GB Partition while on previous computers they were only 3 or 4GBAnf the partitions reserved for XP and Windows 7 both are at the size i formatted - WHERE this 18GB is coming from or how they got there just do not understandCheers for YearsColin :thumbsup: