how PC makers hobble your laptop with preinstalled software

striker

Guest LilBambi

The article does a very nice job on investigating the different vendors of new computers and the crapware that is put on them or not (in the case of the Mac), and even going so far as to identify pros and cons of each manufacturer and the types of crapware, the memory footprint, helpful or not, amount of harddrive space taken up with it and more.The only thing is I was sad to see is that the cleaners section didn't include the free for personal use "PC Decrapifier"

Why just limit it to laptops? The same is true with desktops.I just went through using Revo Uninstaller on a new desktop.

We also found that several manufacturers were more guilty than others when it came to adding unwanted software – with Acer, Sony and HP being the worst offenders.
Good to know. Edited by zlim

One interesting note about pre-installed software: computers bought from the new Microsoft Stores will be "crapware" free (as defined by Microsoft). Of course these computers will come with Windows Live Essentials and Microsoft Security Essentials installed, but they should be free of trial ware and other junk that comes on most PC's The caveat to this is they may cost a bit more as that "crapware" does subsidize some of the cost of new computers.

Guest LilBambi

I agree Liz! Desktops and Laptops suffer from the same issues with crapware.Ryan, that is very good to know. It is nice that Microsoft is trying to follow in Apple's footsteps in that regard. (I am sure everyone noticed that Apple has no third party crapware on their systems!)I have been testing the Microsoft Security Essentials on my laptop and I have to say for a free antivirus, it does a great job and no having to re-register each year, and it does full scans weekly. It makes a very decent and free real-time antivirus and anti-malware. It doesn't try to be a bazillion things and hog down the system like some others I could name. I think it would be a nice thing for most of the vendors to add to their new PCs (desktops and laptops).Of course, putting all eggs in one company's basket for security is not a wise move, so I also use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and run it weekly as well.

Of course, putting all eggs in one company's basket for security is not a wise move, so I also use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and run it weekly as well.
I definitely agree with that, but considering there are probably millions of unprotected computers out there, anything running is better than nothing. One other thought - I wonder what the conversion rate is on some of the pre-installed software? I assume it's pretty good, or companies wouldn't pay to have their software preinstalled. I can't say I know anyone that's paid to buy full versions of any of the software that's come on their computer, but there must be many that do.

In the case of Acer... I'm using a business notebook from 2007, when I got it new it had all kind of Acer crap on it. Unnecessary crap you know, like an application for Wifi, while Windows just handles it better imo, and another truck load of this ^^%@$. I uninstalled all of it, but the notebook was still lame as a snail. And that with XP Pro and 2GB at that time. So, a more thorough investigation was in order. In the end I got all crap out of it and it still struggled. That's where I made the decision to do a fresh, clean install, and that cured it. Afterward I put in another (faster) hard disk drive, 4GB of RAM and switched to 64bit. I don't regret it one second. The thing flies now. :thumbsup: Yep, off course the warranty was over the moment I stepped out of the door with the then new notebook, but I don't give a thing about that, because I can repair it myself if needed.

I've got an HP/Compaq laptop and it was truly amazing how much better it ran after a clean install of XP. When my Father purchased an Acer laptop last year I spend not less than 3 hours removing the crapware and installing full versions of free or nearly free utilities that are as good or better than the hobbleware that came on the thing. Once anyone gets some face time with a fresh install there is no way they are going to want anything else. What I don't like are the partial or trial applications preinstalled such as AV products different vendors. So many people just click the "Yes, extend my subscription" after the trial ends and have no idea that they can find a much better product out there for that money.

What I don't like are the partial or trial applications preinstalled such as AV products different vendors. So many people just click the "Yes, extend my subscription" after the trial ends and have no idea that they can find a much better product out there for that money.
That's where the computer manufacturers make some extra money... at the expense of the customer who's left with a borked system incl. registry.

Hello,When purchasing computers, I usually recommend people visit the business section of a computer manufacturer's web site, instead of purchasing through the home or SOHO sections, or visiting a retail storefront. The reason is that computers sold into an enterprise tend to come without any trial versions of software preloaded on them. Sometimes business systems cost a little bit more, however, they tend to be manufacturered with better quality components and you can obtain things like onsite warranty service.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well this explains the slow boot up of my new HP Pavilion DV6 laptop. I've dragged some of the icons in the dock into the trash, (snapfish... umm...no) but I gather this is a lot more than throwing the links out, wonder how much of it I can get rid of through add and remove programs. I was really excited when I saw all the games that came with it until I realized they were all trial games.So what is the best crapware cleaner for a non geeky person??

Revo Uninstaller but you need a little bit of geekiness.It uses the programs own uninstaller then follows this up by hunting down registry entries it finds.Here's where the geeky part comes in. You can not click the button to delete everything it finds. You have to be able to click the + in front of all the registry keys and then put checks/ticks into only those items that are in bold. If you simply select and delete everything, you will have trashed the registry.

You have to be able to click the + in front of all the registry keys and then put checks/ticks into only those items that are in bold. If you simply select and delete everything, you will have trashed the registry.
I just might be able to handle that :DFound the link for it and thought I would post it here in case anyone else is interested. revo uninstaller Edited by rolanaj