Microsoft Security Essentials bundled with PCs

striker

My very biased opinion, this is better than the Norton Internet Security bundled with my new eMachines computer (XP Home).I needed to run Revo uninstaller to get it off then follow that up with the Norton Removal Tool to get the rest off the computer. The majority of new computer owners would not know how to clean out this trial.At least MS Security Essentials is free so a new owner might keep it up to date sooner than a paid program that runs for 3 months then has to be purchased.

At least MS Security Essentials is free so a new owner might keep it up to date sooner than a paid program that runs for 3 months then has to be purchased.
Hopefully this is setup to be turned on and auto-updating right out of the box. I had to fix a relative's computer and when I turned it on I saw it had Norton pre-installed, but it wasn't activated right out of the box, so essentially the user had no AV software running. I asked her about it and she said "It has Norton on it, right? That's my AV." Not realizing that the popups she was getting to activate it needed to be filled out and she had to sign up to get the service. I uninstalled it and installed MS Security Essentials and set it to auto-update so she'll never have to worry about it.

;) Hey Ryan, good to see ya! Long time no see, how are you doing?
Been awhile - things are good here (except for our college football team). Decided I needed to come back and be a part of this group again. :) Work keeps me busy, but I'm hoping to find time to hang around here and provide some good Windows 7 insight.

I just wanted to post that I've been running MSE for awhile now, first in the Win7 RC and now in the "gold" (RTM) version. It hasn't been long enough to tell how good a "protection" job it's doing, but so far so good. I'm not sure I fully understand this yet, but it's tied to the Windows update process, so for the first time I have Windows 7 set for auto-update, but...My system is a multi-boot one of XP, Vista and Win7 controlled by VistaBootPRO. Because I have my nightly imaging run by Shadow Protect in XP, I don't leave Vista or Win7 booted during the night. When I boot to Windows 7 in the morning, the little MSE icon will usually be red in color indicating it's downlevel in definitions. This morning I was notified that there are two Windows updates (I guess because the OS had not been running overnight) so I OK'd installing them. After doing so, the red MSE icon turned green making me think that it too had gotten definition updates.Not true! I opened MSE, clicked update and the download installed a more recent definitions file. So, MSE is still a work in progress for me. If I have to update it MANUALLY every day I'll probably go back to Avast.

Heise reported this already a while back. I posted this in the forums over here but I got the impression I was not believed. So be it... Thanks for posting this BigAl, appreciated.BTW: here's the link to the original article:http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item...tes-838203.html
Thanks for the link, Striker, I hadn't seen THAT article and it confirms what I've been observing although not for seven days. Example:Today my Win 7 has been running since the wee hours of the morning and the MSE icon is green, misleading me into thinking it's up to date. I checked the level when I got up this morning and the file was 1.69.476.0 dated November 2.I just got home a short time ago, same green icon, same file level. So I manually updated and guess what: 1.69.530.0 dated November 4! Two days and what appears to be MANY levels of difference (476 to 530 if the numbers mean anything).MSE is gonna take a hike later today and I'm going back to (free) Avast which at LEAST updates itself every day, sometimes more than once if necessary. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:"> . . . :( Edited by bigaldoc