Internet addresses set for change

Tushman

A very stupid idea. How are those of us who have a latin keyboard supposed to access the new sites???Another greedy decision reached to increase revenue. This also has the possibility to increase spam and decreases security. IMHO

A very stupid idea. How are those of us who have a latin keyboard supposed to access the new sites???Another greedy decision reached to increase revenue.
The ICANN is beholden to no one. It doesn't live to please marketing companies or private corporations with some "greedy" agendas of their own. You might want to look up their website and understand what they do before making some statement that has no basis for merit.It's interesting to note how anytime something doesn't serve "America" or for the benefit of the average joe citizen, it's automatically considered dumb or stupid. Native English speaking population make up only 1/8 of the world's population. So where does that leave countries like China with 1.3 billion population and another 425 million people in arab speaking countries? I guess since Al Gore invented the internet, it doesn't really matter what the rest of the world thinks. Screw you and the rest of the world right? America is #1. It is this exact kind of narrow minded & myopic thinking that diminishes our standing in the world.To answer your question above, DNS servers can resolve that issue. If a URL is encoded using Hebrew characters for example, the lookup table can translate that to an english equivalent. Edited by Tushman

Al Gore invented What ??? Oh, Al Gore the "Global Warming Champion of the World" is that the person your talking about ???Boy I sure must have hit a raw nerve with my reply. Calm down.

Sounds good to me! It should allow for easier communication within the international community. One won't have to know or remember the coding to get just about anywhere. But it will still be a while before full implementation.

V.T. Eric Layton

I agree with the thoughts behind the move... to allow easier, more understandable access to those countries and cultures who do not speak/read/write English or non-English Latin-based languages. The downside though, is that this will probably create a chaotic "Tower or Babel" situation. A good example of where this confusion could not be tolerated is in air traffic control, where all pilots must communicate in English.