Linus a Gnomie?

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Another open-source project that underwent a big change was KDE with Version 4.0. They released a lot of fundamental architectural changes with 4.0, and it received some negative reviews. As a KDE user, how has this impacted you? I used to be a KDE user. I thought KDE 4.0 was such a disaster, I switched to GNOME. I hate the fact that my right button doesn't do what I want it to do. But the whole "break everything" model is painful for users, and they can choose to use something else. I realize the reason for the 4.0 release, but I think they did it badly. They did so may changes, it was a half-baked release. It may turn out to be the right decision in the end, and I will retry KDE, but I suspect I'm not the only person they lost. I got the update through Fedora, and there was a mismatch from KDE 3 to KDE 4.0. The desktop was not as functional, and it was just a bad experience for me. I'll revisit it when I reinstall the next machine, which tends to be every six to eight months. The GNOME people are talking about doing major surgery, so it could also go the other way.From this Computer World article --> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/912...myName=Software

securitybreach

I remember reading about Linux switching to Gnome awhile back. Although, I still say use OpenBox or Xmonad.Thanks

Edited by securitybreach

I running KDE-4.3.2. It is much improved over the original 4.0 first release. It is very fast, quite functional, and way easier on resources. I like it, and I'm still a KDE fan. It just takes time when rebuilding the kitchen sink.

V.T. Eric Layton

Not me. I've been testing KDE4 in Arch Linux and in Slackware 13. It was buggier than heck in both those distros. It would not hold settings. It would loose panels (disappear for no reason). Apps would not initialize properly. It's no where near as customizable as KDE3 was. That's one of the main reasons I went from Gnome to KDE; the ease of detailed customization. All this and plasma really sucks some resources. It's a bloated mess... just my current opinion - subject to change, as always. :lol:

Another open-source project that underwent a big change was KDE with Version 4.0. They released a lot of fundamental architectural changes with 4.0, and it received some negative reviews. As a KDE user, how has this impacted you? I used to be a KDE user. I thought KDE 4.0 was such a disaster, I switched to GNOME.
I switched to Gnome too in those days. Never thought I would, I was a diehard KDE man.
Me too.
My opinion... "or KDE has gotten a lot worse". :thumbsup:
I agree! B) Now I'm running Gnome, while I'm still using a lot of KDE apps (at Ubuntu x64).Another option for me, is running a KDE v.3 distribution (like PC Linnux, a really good distro). In this case, I don't know how long KDE3 will be supported.If Gnome will breακ everything in future release, I'll try another desktop, at least until KDE release a stable version that really works.

Like I said, I am using 4.3.2, but to get that, you have to upgrade 13.0 to -current. Or, a really good release of 4.3.1 can be found here for regular 13.0:http://cardinal.lizella.net/~vbatts/kde/kde4-packages/4.3.1/To keep from downloading all of these individually, use this command to mirror:

lftp -c "open http://cardinal.lizella.net/~vbatts/kde/kde4-packages/4.3.1/; mirror x86_64"

Change the last part of the command to x86 (32 bit) if you are not running 64 bit.I guarantee you will like what you see.Oh yea - this is for Slackware users!

Edited by mlangdn

V.T. Eric Layton

Two or three times bitten (once in Arch, twice in Slackware 13 so far), VERY shy! I think I'll just stick with my Gnome in Arch and my KDE 3.5 in Slackware 13-64 for now. :thumbsup:

securitybreach
Two or three times bitten (once in Arch, twice in Slackware 13 so far), VERY shy! I think I'll just stick with my Gnome in Arch and my KDE 3.5 in Slackware 13-64 for now. :thumbsup:
I agree. Sounds good!!!Thanks

Different strokes for different folks. Been with Gnome so long that I would not know how to use KDE. years ago was a die hard fan of KDE But Suse and Ubuntu changed all of that. Gnome only for me.Mel B)

• 2 weeks later...
Cluttermagnet
Different strokes for different folks. Been with Gnome so long that I would not know how to use KDE. years ago was a die hard fan of KDE But Suse and Ubuntu changed all of that. Gnome only for me.Mel :pirate:
What he says. I started with gnome. I can use kde but am much less familiar with it. Some claim it is an easier transition to kde from Windows, that kde was more 'Windows-like'. To me, gnome seemed more 'Windows-like'. But hey- there is plenty of good stuff in kde- for example k3b. I love that utility. :(

I guess it all depends on personal preference (and for me which distro) I can't see using Gnome in Mandriva..so boxes with Mandriva I run KDE(same with OpenSuse). I don't have a real logical reason... Also, I guess just because I pained through the early KDE 4 days, I like 4.3 series better than 3.5(though in Mepis and PCLinuOS I keep 3.5 because to me they seem to fit better with those distro's. For Ubuntu...something about running something other than Gnome seems ...well...just wrong, Like running ELive with something other than E17, like in my mind LinuxMint looks like Mint should...I guess that the beauty of it all too, no matter what your visual and user taste are, there is something for everybody in this Linux world. :(

Same here. Ubuntu - Gnome, Mandy - KDE, Debian - Gnome, OpenSUSE - KDE... and so on. :P A wee aside - congratulations are in order:

The initiator of the free K Desktop Environment (KDE), Matthias Ettrich, was decorated with the German Federal Cross of Merit in Berlin on Friday. The highest German state decoration for the common good was awarded to him for his contributions in the field of open source software.
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Ger...der-853429.html :( :pirate: :thumbsup:

I've tried very hard to like KDE - really I have. But I've never been able to get comfortable with its "Death by Menu" approach and I HATE that %#@* bouncing cursor that I had to switch off all the time.Also I prefer Rhythmbox to any other Linux music player.So it's Gnome for me - and Mandriva has a lovely implementation of Gnome.It's the lack of easy Gnome availability that has really kept me away from Slackware. With Vector Linux at least you can use Xfce.Sorry - didn't want this to turn into a KDE vs. Gnome thread.