complete Internet Security suites for free!

striker

Kaspersky:http://usa.kaspersky.com/shakeitup/Offer is valid only for attendees and hosts of Windows 7 launch parties.Read the Offer Rules, Restrictions & InformationPanda:http://us.pandasecurity.com/windows7party/index.htmlAt the momnt when I checked the site was down to technical difficulties, probably half of the globe is downloading...Another source of me tells me this:

Panda will ihn erst wenige Tage nach der Registrierung verschicken.
Translated it means, register now and Panda will send the registration in a few days.Norton Internet Security - Free Download version 2010.http://symantecenterprise.rsys3.net/servle...NgJo_.26OLgm_e8

Guest LilBambi

Don't forget that Microsoft is also providing a totally free alternative "Security Essentials" Not just for one year but totally free.Microsoft Security EssentialsI was pleased to see it caught Trojans, etc. when copied from external hard drives. So it is no slouch in regard to real time protection. I would still have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and run it weekly (free version is not real time so no conflict) since there are things it catches that NONE of the AVs catch. And it's never good to have all your eggs in one security basket.Also a good temporary file cleaner like ATF Cleaner or CCleaner (Don't forget to unclick Yahoo Toolbar entry during install if you don't want the toolbar), etc.A hardware router/firewall/NAT combined with the Windows Firewall (much better than in WinXP), or third party free ZoneAlarm or other free or pay to play software firewall would be good too - need both hardware and software firewall.The point is layered protection and not keeping all your security in one vendor's basket.I would never trust a full 'blanket' Internet Security from one company. But that's me.

I've been using MSE on one of my computers since the beta began and haven't experienced a single problem. Updates occur flawlessly. It would be helpful if there were a link to the actual reports of MSE not updating. As to the linked AV Test.org results by H-online, I'm rather surprised that outdated software is being used in the testing process. ESET, for example, is at v4, not v3. In addition, folks who use Avira, AVG or Avast should not expect the same results as illustrated in the tests. Yes, I like Avira & Avast but the software used in the tests were the premium versions, not the free version. The test was also against Windows Live OneCare, not MSE. Although, MSE does use the same A/V definitions. Thus, it could be concluded that it was the only free for personal use A/V that scored well in the test results.

Guest LilBambi

I agree Corrine, I have also been using MS Security Essentials on my WinXP laptop almost since it was released (final) with NO problems at all so far. I am happy with it's functions as a real-time AV/anti-malware program.I really do appreciate having a good free product where people can just keep use it without having to re-register each year and have no ability to do scheduled scans (Avast! Home Free), or deal with a daily scary looking almost full screen pop-up with every database/engine update which is about once every 24 hours (Avira Free Personal), or being a hog and trying to be everything to every one and change your system tray status to a huge RED ! which makes it always look like there is something seriously wrong with your computer when it was just a personal choice not to enable their browser toolbar plugin or any other aspect of their 'offerings' (AVG Free).However, there is always some downside to getting something for nothing, Microsoft Security Essentials requires the following and more: (1) forces you to become part of their defense net with no option to opt out, and (2) they force you to let them scan your computer not just for malware but also for 'pirated' software in order to use their free product. That is none of their business as an AV/anti-malware program. They don't have to the right to add that as a requirement in the EULA of their antivirus/anti-malware product(s).If people want something that just works and is a great AV/anti-malware program, I would suggest using ESET's NOD32 -- it's pay to play but it's a great product that isn't as much of a hog as Norton, McAfee and some others (although the new version 4.x is hoggier than the 3.x was).Again your mileage may vary, but those are just some thoughts on the various ones.

Since I often install various removal tools that some A/V vendors have a problem with, I always change the default action to notify or, in the case of MSE, quarantine so I can restore from quarantine should I wish.I had a real issue with the early WGA program, particularly since it essentially changed the terms from when the Windows XP software was purchased. Since validation was an integral part of Windows Vista and now Windows 7, I don't have a problem with MSE confirming my system is genuine. Unlike Windows XP, I knew ahead of time with Vista & Win7 that there will be "genuine" checks. MSE is not a replacement for a licensed antivirus software. It is an offering available free for personal use with the hope that people unwilling or unable to pay for A/V software will take advantage of it.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree Corrine, I have also been using MS Security Essentials on my WinXP laptop almost since it was released (final) with NO problems at all so far. I am happy with it's functions as a real-time AV/anti-malware program.
I'd like to see your comments about the alleged multiple signature file updates every day and whether you get them AUTOMATICALLY or not. See my post (and Striker's link) in http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...st&p=281259. To my mind, MSE comes up way short and users are being fooled into thinking that their protection is UP TO DATE and it's not.

Guest LilBambi

So far so good on the updates for MSE. I will be watching for it. I am most impressed with their real time scanner as that actually appears to be better than their normal disk scanner in some cases.

I'd like to see your comments about the alleged multiple signature file updates every day and whether you get them AUTOMATICALLY or not. See my post (and Striker's link) in http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...st&p=281259. To my mind, MSE comes up way short and users are being fooled into thinking that their protection is UP TO DATE and it's not.
I have had issues with MSE updating since the initial beta release. I used a limited user account in XP and it never updated unless I logged in as Admin. I could not even update manually because the update button was grayed out. I sent numerous reports to the MSE forums but that issue was not fixed so I went back to using Avast. In Win7 the updates never occurred daily unless I did a manual update. Supposedly MSE checks for updates every 24 hours. Never occurred for me. After looking through numerous MSE forum comments I ended up making a scheduled task that did an update check every 6 hours. It worked but I wanted something with more finesse. Last week I saw in the MSE forums how to edit the registry to force an update check. In the registry it is listed every 24 hours but if you change it to something like 6 or 12 then it forces an update check every 6 or 12 hours. It works like a charm.The following is taken from the MS MSE Forums:For you to be able to change the default 24H Signature Update interval do the following: 1. In Vista/Win7 search and type regedit in XP run and type regedit --- then Search your windows registry to the following: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Microsoft Antimalware/Signature Update 2. Double left click on "SignatureUpdateInterval" 3. Edit the DWORD Value" for "SignatureUpdateInterval" to any number between 3, 6 or 12 (Default is 24) then click ok and exit the registry. Note: For you to be able to make the change in "SignatureUpdateInterval" You have to take ownership of "SignatureUpdateInterval" registry key first.-------------------I hope this helps anyone concerned with MSE updating. This temporary fix has also been seen in numerous other security forums and chats. Just remember that it is a hack and not an official fix but it will force an update check on a schedule.Reg Edited by Citadel80

Guest LilBambi

Thanks Citadel80! :hysterical: Nice to see that there is a workaround, but that will never be done by many people who are not very computer savvy.The main reason that I generally do not notice the lack of checking is I have it on my laptop and I shut it down when I am not using it, so it checks every time I boot. Many people do use it on their main computer and will leave it up and running most of the time and only reboot when absolutely needed.I too was surprised that Microsoft would not have MSE at least checking more frequently than every 24 hrs myself. However, even though other AV software check more frequently, they often only have actual updates once a day.But the important thing is the checking ... in case of zero day attacks, updates may need to be pushed out more frequently and if the program is not checking frequently, then they will not get those updates as needed and people could be hit more easily without this needed protection.Microsoft should definitely change this. I hope they will seriously consider changing the checking to be every 4 hours or at absolute worst case scenario every 6-8 hrs just in case they need to push out a zero day type update.I hope they don't wait till a bunch of people get hit with a zero day infection while supposedly protected by their free Security Essentials to change it.

The main reason that I generally do not notice the lack of checking is I have it on my laptop and I shut it down when I am not using it, so it checks every time I boot.
Hmmm, that's an interesting point. I don't know what the difference might be between a laptop and desktop but my case is a desktop on which Win7 is not running during the night. The same as your laptop shutdown? I would think so. But when I boot (turn on?) Win7 each morning, it had not been checking as my posts stated. Good luck to all who are using the regedit fix or not...

Guest LilBambi
Hmmm, that's an interesting point. I don't know what the difference might be between a laptop and desktop but my case is a desktop on which Win7 is not running during the night. The same as your laptop shutdown? I would think so. But when I boot (turn on?) Win7 each morning, it had not been checking as my posts stated. Good luck to all who are using the regedit fix or not...
Maybe it's not MSE but Windows 7 that makes this difference? I am using Windows XP with it on my laptop.

Additional info concerning the MSE updating on a schedule:In Windows the Microsoft Security Essentials program does an update on a schedule. When the scheduled update is completed, information about that update is stored in the C:\Windows\Temp folder. This is where they were located in Windows 7 but they should also be located here in XP or Vista. I found using the Event Viewer (In Administrative Tools) or by entering "eventvwr.exe" (no quotes) in the Run command box that there are 2 log files in the C:\Windows\Temp folder. These logs tell when and how the MSE performed its update.The 2 log files are: MpCmdRun.log and MpSigStub.log View each log in a text viewer.I hope this helps.Reg