Default browser

alelscot

Acting on sage advice from these forums, I have changed to Mozilla Firebird as my browser. I have set it as my default browser, but still when I click on hyperlinks up pops the unwanted Internet Explorer. How can I stop this - if it is possible! Thanks Al Strachan

Thanks, Zox. I am running XP and I thought I had SP-1 installed but I can't find any reference to IE under Internet Connections. I'll keep on looking though >_< Thanks again. Al Strachan

Edited by Jeber

nlinecomputers

That is because your looking in the wrong place. >_< Goto Add-remove programs in the control panel. If you have SP1 installed you should now have a new item called Set Program Access and Defaults. You set the default browser there.

I thought I had installed XP Service pack 1, but when I went to Control panel/add-remove programs I only found XP service pack 1-a there and I could not find any item called Set Program Access and Defaults. What am I doing wrong, coach >_< ? Thanks Al

nlinecomputers

The only difference in 1 and 1a is the removal of Microsoft's version of Java.I think your diving in too deep into add remove programs.Start>Control Panel>Add and Remove Programs.On the left side is 4 icons. Note the one on the left bottom! That is the place to be.xp_sp1_beta_02.gif

Thanks. I found the little bugger and set Mozilla as the default browser. So I click on the hyperlink in your message - and guess what, Internet Explorer is the browser that sends me to Scot;s Forums. I guess I will have to start using my Lindows OS to get away from IE ;) But thanks for trying to help. Al

Try going into Firebird, unchecking the "Make firebird my default", closing firebird, reopening it, and re-checking it... Then close it and see if your links work....Just curious, but where are you clicking on these links from?

Have you checked the file types to see if html files are set to open in FB?Control Panel -> folder options -> File Types.... Find the .html and .htm and see what program they're registered to.ORCreate a new shortcut on your desktop to a website and see which browser opens it... This will give us a true test as to whether or not it's Windows or Eudora's problem. (Right-click on desktop -> New ->Shortcut -> type in website name)