• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V.T. Eric Layton

• securitybreach

• sunrat

• kamicota

Guest LilBambi

Way to go Eric!!! :-)Will we get to see some screenshots anytime soon?Haven't tried Arch and would like to know whether it's something my hubby might like.(He and I both love Debian these days)

securitybreach
Way to go Eric!!! :-) Will we get to see some screenshots anytime soon? Haven't tried Arch and would like to know whether it's something my hubby might like. (He and I both love Debian these days)
Look here: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=27596Archlinux screenshots would not help anyway since every installation and setup is different. All you would see after installation is a command prompt, you build it from there.. Archlinux is like clay you mold to your likings. No standards as far as setup besides the ncurses installer.Thanks Edited by securitybreach

V.T. Eric Layton

Yup. As soon as I get The GIMP installed so I can mod a nice Arch wallpaper, I'll post my Arch-Gnome for ya'. :hysterical:

V.T. Eric Layton
How bout a cool non-windowmanager Archlinux wallpaper?Thanks
No window manager? You mean like this?LXF118.showdown.arch_01.jpgPretty boring, huh? ;)These look prettier...Arch Linux w/ Gnome:archshot01.th.pngGnome:gnomeshot01.th.png+++++Installed the following tonight:vimFirefox and Thunderbird (Arch versions)The GimpK3BAmaroKMplayerFF plugins --> flashplugin, mplayer-plugin, jreXpdfXscreensavergkrellmnumlockXvlcarchlinux-wallpaperlm_sensorsBusy! Busy! :hysterical:

V.T. Eric Layton

I just fixed a small Nautilus (Gnome file manager app) issue. It wouldn't remember the window size after closing and reopening. There was a very helpful post at the Arch forums that explained why --> http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=78500I did what that poster suggested and it worked like a champ! YAY!I have all my drives properly mounting, including my Zip100 drive. :)I used an old 10ignore-disks.fdi hal trick that I've used in Debian and Slack to force hal to ignore volumes on my hard drives that I do NOT want to see in the file manager or volume manager. I'm going to reboot now and see if that trick works in Arch also. :w00t:Off I go...

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... my 10ignore-disks.fdi trick didn't work. :(Also, I'm having a wee little problem getting one of my backup drives to mount at boot up. My fstab entry is the same one I use in all my distros, yet Arch is saying that the mount directory that I'm trying to mount it in doesn't exist. I can mount manually in that directory as Root. What gives? Myeh... minor probs. I'll figure them out tomorrow.I'm tired. The Angels got their butts kicked by the Yankees. :hysterical: I'm going to bed now... snooze3ed.gif

V.T. Eric Layton

FF is VERY SLOW and jerky. Scrolling up and down the forum list here is terrible. Sucking up some major CPU cycles, too. Hmm... TB is BUGGY!I'll work on them both tomorrow.OK, NOW I'm going to bed... really! :hysterical:

securitybreach
FF is VERY SLOW and jerky. Scrolling up and down the forum list here is terrible. Sucking up some major CPU cycles, too. Hmm... TB is BUGGY! I'll work on them both tomorrow. OK, NOW I'm going to bed... really! :hysterical:
That is very odd since my firefox runs perfectly and does not use much system resources either. I run Firefox on Arch64 on 5 of 6 machines at home and none of them act this way? Maybe check the forums, I dunno. Also, it could be a plugin although it if it worked on other distros then maybe it is not that. Also, are you using the firefox-branded package from AUR or the Shiretoko version? I run a version of Firefox called Firefox-pgo from AUR on one of my slower machines and it is extremely quick and all plugins, etc work perfectly. Also, it is not Shiretoko but a "Firefox" version.
Mozilla Firefox - tracemonkey-enabled, XULRunner independent, optimized with PGO - real standalone
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=22296 or
yaourt -S firefox-pgo

I am basically shooting in the dark since I have do not know all the details of the issue with firefox. Try starting from the terminal and seeing the output. As far as Thunderbird, I have no ideal since I do not run TB. I I do not know if it is anything you are doing, but I have like 8 people I helped them to install Archlinux and help them with questions also. None of them have had an issue with Firefox or Thunderbird of which they all use. They have had some other issues that have been resolved though.Maybe tomorrow we will figure it out. After 5pm EST, I will be on. ThanksI just installed and setup TB, and it works beautifully. It will not be replaceing Alpine but it works great.

Edited by securitybreach

V.T. Eric Layton

Just briefly because I'm walking out the door in a few minutes...I installed the Arch versions of FF (Shiretoko) and TB. I'm running them with Profiles from my backups of FF and TB... the same Profiles I run FF and TB in all my distros. In FF, when scrolling up and down on a web page, the motion is very herky-jerky, almost like a vid acceleration issue. It sucks MAX CPU when this happens. This wasn't happening with FF (Shiretoko) in my last installation of Arch. The only difference (other than windows managers) is that I compiled my own Nvidia drivers from the Nvidia script at the Nvidia website in the previous installation of Arch. I think it's a newer version than the one I'm using now from the Arch repos. Oddly though, I'm getting three times faster frame rates with the Arch version than I did with the Nvidia version. Go figure...In TB, my preferences for the interface are not being remembered after shutting down and restarting the app. The "Today Pane" (Lightning calendar extension) does not open with TB after TB has been shut down and restarted. Also the "Invitations" thingie shows up in the folder tree after restart of the app even after I uncheck the box in View --> Invitations. The 32 bit TB worked fine in Arch with my Profile.I tend to think that this is just an issue with my Profiles for FF and TB and the Arch versions of the apps. I'll play with it some more later this evening... maybe try one of the other FF's that you mention. I may have to install the 32 bit libs and run the 32 bit TB from Mozilla to solve the problem with that application.Off I go...

securitybreach

I run the nvidia package from the Arch repos and everything seems great, I personally would always use the driver from the repos versus compiling your own. This is more than likely to be the cause of your firefox issues. Although, all pacman does is fetch the sources from nividia.com and compile them as well when you type:

pacman -S nvidia

See:

[comhack@Venus ~]$ pacman -Qi nvidiaName		   : nvidiaVersion		: 185.18.36-2URL			: http://www.nvidia.com/Licenses	   : custom  Groups		 : NoneProvides	   : NoneDepends On	 : kernel26>=2.6.31  kernel26<2.6.32  nvidia-utils=185.18.36  Optional Deps  : NoneRequired By	: NoneConflicts With : nvidia-96xx  nvidia-173xx  Replaces	   : NoneInstalled Size : 12004.00 KPackager	   : Tobias Powalowski <tpowa@archlinux.org>Architecture   : x86_64Build Date	 : Thu 10 Sep 2009 08:43:22 AM EDTInstall Date   : Sat 10 Oct 2009 07:26:38 PM EDTInstall Reason : Explicitly installedInstall Script : YesDescription	: NVIDIA drivers for kernel26

Thanks

V.T. Eric Layton

Uh... I did use the Nvidia drivers from the Arch repos. It was the previous installation that I compiled my own. The FF issue is occurring now... with the Arch repo Nvidia drivers. It did not do this with the Nvidia compiled drivers on the previous installation. *shrugging* I'm not really sure what the issue is... whether FF (Shiretoko) or the video drivers.On another note... why does Arch have so much stuff running in the background on my system at boot up (180+) compared to Slack or Debian (less than 90, usually)? Anywho... probably won't get time to tinker tonight... maybe tomorrow. Thanks for the above info... will check it out. :hysterical:

securitybreach
Uh... I did use the Nvidia drivers from the Arch repos. It was the previous installation that I compiled my own. The FF issue is occurring now... with the Arch repo Nvidia drivers. It did not do this with the Nvidia compiled drivers on the previous installation. *shrugging* I'm not really sure what the issue is... whether FF (Shiretoko) or the video drivers. On another note... why does Arch have so much stuff running in the background on my system at boot up (180+) compared to Slack or Debian (less than 90, usually)? Anywho... probably won't get time to tinker tonight... maybe tomorrow. Thanks for the above info... will check it out. :hysterical:
Well remember everything that is started, you made it happen. With Archlinux nothing at all starts by itself. Slackare and others manager startup application, archlinux leaves it to you and to only.Thanks

V.T. Eric Layton

Securitybreech,That nvidia-173xx driver that I had installed was causing the FF problem, I believe. Installing the newer version, as you demonstrate above, seems to have solved the issue. Thanks again!When I went through the Beginners Guide, it tells how to install the Nvidia drivers from the repos, but it only shows two options... nvidia-96xx and nvidia-173xx. I guess the BG is a bit out of date. No harm done. All's well with FF now, I think. No more jerky scrolling. :hysterical:

V.T. Eric Layton

Progress made tonight...FF all fixed up now. :)Thunderbird was having issues because the Lightning calendar extension (32 bit) was not compatible with the x86_64 version of Arch TB. The solution was to find an x84_64 version of the Lightning extension to download. Google is my friend --> http://mozilla.cdn.cacheboy.net/calendar/l...inux-x86_64.xpi :)I have one other pressing problem now. I cannot get my backup partition to automount. All my other partitions are mounting fine. Here's a copy of my fstab:

none				   /dev/pts	  devpts	defaults			0	  0none				   /dev/shm	  tmpfs	 defaults			0	  0/dev/cdrom			 /media/cd   auto	ro,user,noauto,unhide   0	  0/dev/dvd			   /media/dvd  auto	ro,user,noauto,unhide   0	  0/dev/fd0			   /media/fl   auto	user,noauto			 0	  0/dev/sdd4		   /media/zip  vfat	rw,noauto,user,sync	 0	  0/dev/sdb5 swap swap defaults 0 0/dev/sdb8 / ext3 defaults 0 1/dev/sdb9 /home ext3 defaults 0 1/dev/sda8 /home/vtel57/vtel57_archives ext2 defaults 0 2/dev/sdc6 /home/vte57/vtel57_backups ext2 defaults 0 2 <---- *this is the drive that will not automount/dev/sdc7 /home/vtel57/vtel57_common vfat defaults,gid=users,uid=vtel57 0 2

I can mount the drive using:

# mount /dev/sdc6 /home/vtel57/vtel57_backups

But it will not mount on boot up. I get this error:

mount point /home/vte57/vtel57_backups does not exist
Strange, huh? I know the mount point exists because I can manually mount there. Any ideas? Oh, this fstab works fine for all my other distros. huh.gifOff to beddy-bye now... G'night!

Guest LilBambi
/dev/sdc6 /home/vte57/vtel57_backups ext2 defaults 0 2 <---- *this is the drive that will not automount

Missing a lower case L in vte57/vtel57 in the fstab listing.I bet if you fix that ... it will work like manual mount :hysterical:

V.T. Eric Layton

HAHAHAHAHAHA! :hysterical:I'll be darned. It's amazing how you can stare at something like that numerous times and just never see it. THANKS SO MUCH, Fran! That did it! :hysterical: