Title Bar Font

JonNuttNTL

Hi All,I've had a problem with my PC since I got it. On every startup the Title Bar Font defaults to Times New Roman. No matter how many times I set it to my prefered font in the Display Applet it reverts back to Times New Roman on the next reboot.My PC is a Packard Bell iConnect 1275 with Win Me installed.I don't want to upgrade to XP yet as I want to put it on a new HDD.Any suggestions??Laterz,Jon.

Jon,Never used Me but MS certainly suggest that it shouldn't be a problem:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;140752What's the issue with not upgrading to XP? If you're out of disk space such that you have insufficient room for XP, that's a show-stopper, but otherwise install XP, get it going/looking the way you want it and do the HDD later. How were you planning on doing it: using Ghost or similar or starting from scratch?Andy

Guest LilBambi

There is always the possibility that WinME is having some sort of a problem with changing the font selection to your choice when it boots up the next time. Why? No idea. Maybe corrupted fonts, or OS who knows.But if that is the case, it may be doing a system restore to the last known good configuration in its estimation.WinME is notorious for doing this type of thing and driving their users crazy with it ... this type of behavior really makes WinME appear to be haunted somehow. :rolleyes:

Jon,Never used Me but MS certainly suggest that it shouldn't be a problem:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;140752What's the issue with not upgrading to XP?  If you're out of disk space such that you have insufficient room for XP, that's a show-stopper, but otherwise install XP, get it going/looking the way you want it and do the HDD later.  How were you planning on doing it: using Ghost or similar or starting from scratch?Andy
Hi,Yes know all that. I use it all the time as my selection doesn't stick. I'm not trying anything fancy just setting to Tahoma as its much easier to read than Times New Roman.Disk space is an issue as well as some legacy issues with WinTV and my Digital Camera. I'm thinking of buying a brand new disk and installing on there with a dual boot option.Thanks all the same.Laterz,Jon.

There is always the possibility that WinME is having some sort of a problem with changing the font selection to your choice when it boots up the next time.  Why? No idea. Maybe corrupted fonts, or OS who knows.But if that is the case, it may be doing a system restore to the last known good configuration in its estimation.WinME is notorious for doing this type of thing and driving their users crazy with it ... this type of behavior really makes WinME appear to be haunted somehow.  :D
Had thought that but this font works fine.Can't do a system restore its been disabled. (Long Story!!!!) Plus this has happened ever since I got this PC nearly 2 years ago.Laterz,Jon.

Guest LilBambi

Yeah, I hear ya on the system restore! Many long stories on when and why, not if, it gets turned off entirely! :D Since this has been an ongoing problem for nearly 2 years. And you are intending to install a new hard drive to dualboot WinXP, it sounds like a simpler solution overall :D

You could try to set it in the registry and see if it sticks. HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\International\Scripts\3

have you tried doing an "over the top" install of WinME again? Maybe a system file or something was removed... I'd suggest trying that (it really can't hurt)....

Fixed it with a bit of lateral thinking. Just copied Tahoma.ttf and Tahomabd.ttf to Times.ttf and Timesbd.ttf. Et Voila!!! Tahoma from boot up!!!

I have the original files renamed to Times1.ttf and Timesbd1.ttf. But since posting I have reverted back to how it was and its stuck how I want them. Weird. :D

WinME is notorious for doing this type of thing and driving their users crazy with it ... this type of behavior really makes WinME appear to be haunted somehow.  :lol:
LilBambi, I hated ME for the same reason, it has to rank as one of M$'s all time worst OS's. I had all kinds of weird, unexplained errors, programs that ran yesterday, won't run today, file system errors, yechhh! I ditched ME for XP as soon as it came out and I'm glad I did. " If you lived here, you'd be home by now"Chris

Now writing from an XP installation. Some issues to fix but all in all a good installation. :DLaterz,Jon.
Hey Jon, I think you'll be happier with XP, I know I am. It's been pretty reliable and stable, just gotta keep up with the constant barrage of patches :lol: . Chris

Guest LilBambi

badcat --You got that right!JonNuttNTL --That's great! You'll definitely like XP much better than ME.Since you are mentioning still having some issues to sort out ... did you do a full system install or take the upgrade path?

No Got a new Maxtor Hard Disk. Strange network issues. That's all. I can access to internet over the network and ping the servers IP address but can I see it in My Network Places??? No. Only a minor issue just can't share files with the machine downstairs. Everything else is in and working including my ME digicam that swore blind it doesn't work with XP!!!Laterz,Jon.

Read it, but have now fixed it it was something so obvious now but wasn't then. My subnet mask was 255.0.0.0 instead of 255.255.255.0. DOH! :DNow just to fix my printer problem and I'm done!Laterz,Jon.

Guest LilBambi
Read it, but have now fixed it it was something so obvious now but wasn't then. My subnet mask was 255.0.0.0 instead of 255.255.255.0. DOH! :DNow just to fix my printer problem and I'm done!Laterz,Jon.
JonNuttNTL --Guess that netmask would kinda confuse things a bit ;)What kinda printer are you using and are you an admin user or power user in WinXP?Some printer drivers don't work right for users with limited privileges, its a real pain, but that's M$ for ya!And is the driver for XP and/or signed by**Have you tried going to the manufacturer's site to get the latest driver (even if unsigned, it may work better than the one on the disk).

HP Deskjet 930C.It seems as though it tried to load the shipped drivers on the XP CD as there are some remants left on the system, I've tried the XP drivers from HP but unplugging and plugging it don't seem to recognize it.I am an admin user.Laterz,Jon.

HP Deskjet 930C.It seems as though it tried to load the shipped drivers on the XP CD as there are some remants left on the system, I've tried the XP drivers from HP but unplugging and plugging it don't seem to recognize it.I am an admin user.Laterz,Jon.
I'm guessing by the info you gave, you're hooking it up USB...First, download the drivers from http://www.hp.com (if you haven't already), then completely remove/uninstall anything pertaining to your printer. (don't forget to check your device manager) If you're using USB, unhook your printer, then reboot. (If you're using parallel, just leave it hooked up).Then reboot... plug in the printer after you get windows up (USB)... regardless, XP should recognize the new hardware... Have the drivers from HP unzipped to a folder. When you do the install, make sure you select that you will specify the location of the drivers (don't let windows search), then point to the folder and finish the install.Hopefully this will take care of the problem! :unsure:

I'm guessing by the info you gave, you're hooking it up USB...First, download the drivers from http://www.hp.com (if you haven't already),  then completely remove/uninstall anything pertaining to your printer. (don't forget to check your device manager)  If you're using USB, unhook your printer, then reboot.  (If you're using parallel, just leave it hooked up).Then reboot...  plug in the printer after you get windows up (USB)...  regardless, XP should recognize the new hardware...  Have the drivers from HP unzipped to a folder.  When you do the install, make sure you select that you will specify the location of the drivers (don't let windows search), then point to the folder and finish the install.Hopefully this will take care of the problem! :unsure:
Done, done, doesn't get any further. USB PC port ok cable ok I get a beep telling me something is recognized but thats it.Laterz,Jon.

Guest LilBambi

Maybe try the following:1. unplug the USB printer2. uninstall the current driver3. delete current USB type items from device manager4. unclick any HP related items in msconfig.exe (using selective startup)5. reboot6. upon reboot let windows do what it want to put the USB bridge in or not7. reboot8. after the system fully comes up, disable or close antivirus software9. disable or close firewall temporarily10. hook up the USB printer11. wait for it to find your printer and bring up the wizard12. point your install to the directory where you got the new driver unzipped from the HP site13. test print (may or may not print, not a problem)14. reboot15. wait for everything to come up (including firewall and antivirus)16. open something and try to print again...hopefully it will now print....keeping fingers crossed.(Worked with another USB HP printer, but no promises, wasn't this model :rolleyes: )

Delete all USB Devices and Hubs??Laterz,Jon.
Yep... Windows should automatically try to reinstall them when you reboot... no biggie here :(