Hurricane Isabel

friendofdot

This is great !! We will soon be complete again !! Sorry to hear about the roof, but hey, that´s only material damage, main thing is that she´s okay ! :w00t: Bruno

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teacher

• friendofdot

• BarryB

• siebkens

Julia,Thanks for keeping us up to date. I've been checking to see if Fran made it back to the forum & the silence was getting worrisome. Looking forward to seeing Fran LOL'ing on the forum!--------------------------The planning a virtual party when Fran returns Sieb. B)Quint - We're counting on you to find a great picture for the occasion! :pirate:

Target date for return of Fran: October 3. At least that is the word from the power company. It could be later but probably will not be earlier. That was depressing news for her but they are survivors!

I had an internet friend in the midwest telephone me a couple of days ago. He was worried because he had not heard from me in a while. All that happened here was that we lost power for a little over 3 days due to Isabel. But after that I was feeling a bit under the weather for a few days, so I went missing for about a week, from his perspective. It is a good feeling to know that there is a web of people out there and some of them care about you. In that spirit, I patiently await the return of Fran, who has been much missed this past week. She will be back soon, though it can't be soon enough!

Guest LilBambi

We are alive and well here in Dendron, VA! :) I popped in late last night but hadn't been able to get to the Water Cooler before we had to shutdown for the night so we could get more fuel for the generator.I have just spent the last hour or so (dialup is such a joy LOL!) reading through the entire thread and all I can say is Wow! you guys are the best! It was a amazing to see how everyone made it through OK during Isabel and that everyone was OK! B) We are back online on generator at the moment! :D NEWS FLASH! We can log the time as about 11:00 AM September 30, 2003 when our power officially came back on. We are waiting to see if it is going to stay on (steady) and then we will switch back to the grid. :whistling: It is great that we all were able to get to know each other a bit more through this terrible time and support each other. I wish I could have been here sooner and not worried everyone!We have been blessed that a client/friend's parents got their power back day before yesterday -- so they loaned us their huge Miller Bobcat 250 welder/generator that they use for a whole house generator during outages in their rural area. It has 10,000 watt capability for auxilliary power although we just used it to light lights, TVs, VCRs, c-band satellite receiver, computers, and occasionally the water heater) since yesterday.Would have been back here on the forums sooner but I had 1500+ emails to go through and clients to be taken care of first thing! Thankfully all were very patient with the situation, even those from out of the country that didn't realize what we had been through.As Julia mentioned we love camping so we were very prepared and have been using solar panels to charge batteries during the day for lighting and radio, and occasional short timed TV usage each day.We did lose 1/3 of our east facing roof and have associated water damage. As a very old house, the roof was shingles only, placed on the old lap board roofing boards and all in very bad shape. There was also an area where the shingles were still there but something hit the roof and caved in the lap boarding and allowed all the water coming down the roof to flow down the exterior east wall to our living room where it damaged the east wall in one area there. We lost several trees (one Red Delicious Apple tree, a Flowering Crabapple, and a small Mimosa) and two huge pussy willows during the storm.We have friends in Michigan who have been calling to check on us most days since the power went out (we got phone back the day after Isabel hit). And Julia has been calling to make sure we were OK as well and to keep everyone abreast of things. Thank you Julia!The Red Cross came in and have been providing water, ice and meals since Saturday the 28th.We feel so blessed with such great friends!It is great to be back! :w00t: Well, almost back ... gotta go now and turn off the generator and re-attach to the grid! Be back later! :D

I've heard it said, that in times of "traumatic experiences", a person's hair can turn white...wonder if it's applicable to:albinokoala.jpgWelcome back, Fran, glad you are well! :whistling:

Guest LilBambi

Thanks Julia and quint! Great to be back! (And we are on the grid now Yea!!!!!! :whistling: )quint LOL! Perfect! If you have ever looked at the pictures on my homepage, you will see that that was true a long time ago LOL!

Glad you're back, Fran. So sorry about the damage to your home, but am so glad you are safe and enjoy camping :rolleyes: When some of my friends got smaller generators, they elected to put their computers on them rather than their TVs; good thing they have their priorities in the right order. Heard today that there were other hurricanes and storms in the Atlantic, but I've decided not to watch anything about this. One bad hurricane in a decade is about all we can handle.BTW, Julian, how is the clean up going in your area?

Guest LilBambi

Thanks Sieb! and friendofdot!It really is great to be back! At least neither of us got hurt in the process of Isabel's running over us ... we have much to be thankful for despite the roof damage.But I really don't want to go through that again any time soon. :w00t: Hey, did I forget to mention we had our computers on the generator first?! LOL! That's how I found the 1,500+ emails waiting for me ... boy talk about a killer way to spend the afternoon! :w00t: Spam, Spam, Spam!Didn't want you to think I didn't have my priorities right LOL! :thumbsup:

BTW, Julia, how is the clean up going in your area?
The kids are back in school. They are trying to rebuild the roads. The hard part is right now there is only one road that will take you from where I live to where I work. I used to switch to the beach road to get away from all the 16 year old drivers after school. Now I don't have that option. There are still restrictions on access to South Nags Head, Hatteras Island and the oceanfront in Kitty Hawk. Those folks are having a tough time. I just added a page to the web site with the rough pictures of the pier going under. Pier Collapse page. They tried to lay a water line to get water back to the folks on Hatteras Island but were unsuccessful. They had to go back to the drawing board. They are using a ferry to get the kids to Hatteras for school. That is costing the district a LOT of money. I think they said it cost over $2000 each day to run it just to get the students to and from school for 100 students. There are no other options right now. Until they decide whether to fill in the inlet and rebuild the road (the current plans) or to build a bridge (the logical plan) they are cut off from the rest of the world. I do know a lot of folks are now homeless. Thankfully a lot of the homes that went in were second homes so the numbers without a place to live are less than you would think from the damage. We do get word that Hatteras has all the "emergency supplies" they can handle at the moment.

I wondered where my collection went......The let us drive down the beach road yesterday for the first time. It was quite amazing to drive there. I drove past house after house with yellow tape around them. One house would look like someone just came and smacked it real hard to knock it off the pilings and down to the ground while the next one would look like someone stood up real high and dropped it as hard as they could. Then one would look like someone just kneecapped it on one side. Going down the road in the wee hours of the morning before the sane folks and the sun were up I noticed four houses the length of the town with lights on and cars there in defiance of the damages brought by Izzy. The road left some to be desired. I was not too sure what I was driving on. I could see no signs of new pavement but I know it was gone in some places. They must have done some miracles. I do know I would drive past signs that said pavement out and there would be a bump but I could not tell if any was missing. If it was not missing then the sand was packed pretty good because my little car did not sink anywhere. The homes that were hit hard were the older homes that have been there for decades with lots of character. The newer homes in the towns south faired much better.