Hurricane Isabel

friendofdot

glad to see everyone is ok. *group hug*isabel is starting to show up here in the north. showers are getting stronger and stronger, with some nasty gusts, but nothing to what i've seen on TV last night from carlonia and virginia. we're gonna get the brunt of it (what's left of the 'eye' is gonna cross right over my town at around 5pm. ) they're calling for up to 3 inches of rain, and 60km/h winds, gusting up to 100km/h (about 62mph), so lucky for us canucks Isabel has lost most of its strength. it'll be a fun day on the roads though after work.thanks for the pictures, Teacher, and for the Nasa Links, Friend. ;)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teacher

• friendofdot

• BarryB

• siebkens

The rainfall for some areas of Augusta County has been revised - the news is now saying that some places got over 20 inches of rain - TOO MUCH WATER!!And now it's raining again. ;) ------------------------The hoping for sunny weather Sieb :lol:

The rainfall for some areas of Augusta County has been revised - the news is now saying that some places got over 20 inches of rain - TOO MUCH WATER!!
woah, thats crazy! 20 inches! i cant even imagine. plus, didnt it rain there a lot last week? not good, lots of flooding i bet. we had an extremely dry august/september, and they even had a fire-ban when i went camping just last weekend due to forest fire threat, so even if we get 5 or so inches, the ground will just soak it all up. but to be safe, i checked my sump pump last night and its ok.D***, 20 inches. thats a flood just from straight rain, not to mention all the river runoffs to follow.better roll up your pants, siebkens. :angry2:

They just said on the news that 68 percent of the Hampton Roads area is still without power. I imagine that means that Barry is still without power as is Fran. It might be days before they get it all back. They announced distribution points to pass out dry ice for folks to try to keep from losing everything.We are locked in still. They said it might be noon Sunday before they will allow us to leave our little town. We are suppose to stay home. B) I just can't seem to do that. I keep adding pictures from my explorations to the web site (it is not on the second one) but can't get to the serious damage because the police won't let us go down the road. It looks like I could not go through Kitty Hawk to Nags Head if I wanted to. The roads just don't exist any more or are under water. They said something about 550 million in damage on the Outer Banks. I think they lost a dozen houses as well.

We never lost power to the base here in Norfolk. I was surprised, because everything stayed on. When we went off base to retreive our cars, I realized how bad it was.In any case the worst damage to Navsta Norfolk was downed trees. We also had very little flooding.

Glad to see you back online! Doesn't the base have it's own power system? I would have been surprised if it had gone down. I can't remember any above ground power lines when up that way. The underground lines here really help a lot. I am anxious to be able to leave my little 1 x 3 mile area and see what the rest of the beach looks like. Everything I hear or see on the news is pretty bad.

I hope and pray everyone comes through Isabel without injury and minimal property damage. I went through several terrible hurricanes in the 50s and 60s when I lived in Corpus Christi, TX.I moved to CA and went through several small earthquakes and one major one that caused a lot of damage to our house and contents. I decided to move out of CA.I moved to TN. Six months after we moved into our newly built house a tornado hit our property depositing a house trailer and enough tin to build a barn nearby our house. Our damage was loss of some roofing shingles and 300+ trees down (I'm still working on that cleanup). We were without power for nearly a week.I now have a storm shelter and a 13 KW generator wired to the house. All we can do is prepare and pray.Good luck,Ken

I would hate to be in your shoes teacher ( and that is besides the fact that they probably arent my style :w00t: :teehee: :w00t: :teehee: :'( ) But seriously I live as you all probably Know already up in North Central Pa. ,Almost in New York as a matter of fact , And we had a tree blown down in our yard and lost power as well,I had to fire up my generator for a couple of hours . And I still cant imagine what you and the others in your area went through . You all have my best wishes for your well being and safety

Waaaahhooooo! What a ride!!!!!!!!!!!!! :teehee: ...Hey Gang...Finally we have interent!!!Sorry..had to do fun repairs..nothing bad..Shed was roof flopped back...Trampoline base got loose and jumped in the neighbors pool...we have only a couple of trees down..some have some damage..But nothing Major, Power cam back yesterday..internet today. The area around us was pretty hard hit..trees on/in homes. But no serious injuries( Most grateful)...No flooding (where I am)

Waaaahhooooo! What a ride!!!!!!!!!!!!! :teehee: ...Hey Gang...Finally we have interent!!!Sorry..had to do fun repairs..nothing bad..Shed was roof flopped back...Trampoline base got loose and jumped in the neighbors pool...we have only a couple of trees down..some have some damage..But nothing Major, Power cam back yesterday..internet today. The area around us was pretty hard hit..trees on/in homes. But no serious injuries( Most grateful)...No flooding (where I am)
Good to see you are OK. Better than riding out a bad strorm at sea strapped in your bunk, huh?Ken

Waaaahhooooo!  What a ride!!!!!!!!!!!!! :'( ...Hey Gang...Finally we have internet!!!
Glad to see you back Barry. Now if we can just get Fran back on line then the gang will all be here. It was fun, wasn't it??? :w00t: Of course, we are not suppose to say that. We are suppose to be real serious. They took a poll at church and only one couple left for the storm. Half the group was out in the storm taking pictures. I guess I just go to church with a bunch of wild and crazy folks. :w00t: :teehee: o:) Of course, would you expect anything different from me? :teehee:

KenIv'e ridden a few at sea.I I was one of the few that didn't get seasick..Somebody had to man CIC ...at least my house doesn't take 40 Degree rolls..nor does it pitch...No bulkhead walking this time.Glad to be back folk...I think I was starting to have withdraw symptons..Headhurt..jitters. :thumbsup: Pray Fran is OK...

I went thru one on an aircraft carrier once (USS Theordore Roosevelt, in case you are curious). Luckily something that freakin big doesn't roll but 15 or 20 degrees. I was quite forced to laugh at the people that were getting sick from that. I did know some cruiser guys that always talked about "walking the walls" like BarryB referred to. No more for me, thankey. :thumbsup:

We just regained power about an hour ago. That's 3-1/4 days of Coleman stove and lantern, candles, etc. We lost no more trees. One did fall in our back yard during a local storm in late August. Several neighbors seem to have had some fairly large trees fall. Fairly healthy looking oaks, in some cases, which is a bit of a surprise. Winds were somewhat muted in terms of what we had expected during the worst of it. I guess overall our area dodged the bullet and had relatively little flooding, just a lot of treefall and downed branches, which played havoc with all the local neighborhood electric feeds everywhere. Hardly a bag of ice to be found anywhere. It really proved easier to drop in on the Local McDonalds for a burger and swipe a little bit of their ice from the drink dispenser on the way out. Or beg it from friends who got power back after only 1 day.Man- I was going through internet withdrawal anxiety after the second day. At one point, I carefully reconnected my computer and monitor to individual UPS's and tried to bring it up- but it was not to be. The whole thing died before the bootup had quite finished. Siiiighhhh! It's all enough to get me to go out and buy a generator for 'next time'. And maybe a laptop too. They are saying the last customers will have power restored in our area by this coming Friday. I would sure hate to work in the customer contact office of the local power company. They say the volume level of telephone camplaints is rising by the day. It's hard to imagine losing power for 8 days! I'm going to go take a nice hot shower now.

Only 700,000 are still without power in Northern North Carolina and Virginia areas serviced by Dominion Power. That is down from 1.8 million last Friday. At this rate, maybe we will get LilBambi back on line here in a day or two. B)

Wilst they had no power, maybe, just maybe, the children discovered that there is fun to be had outside, that the sun's rays are not harmfull in moderation. They could dust off their bicycles and dig out their ball and glove. Yes there is a life to be had that doesn't require a screen name and password! They'd play untill the sun set and reluctantly go home for dinner, and long for the tomorrows where they could once again go out and play.But, alas, the power has returned and all aross the east coast you can hear the whir of fans and hum of monitors as the kids returned to their computers.

Wilst they had no power, maybe, just maybe, the children discovered that there is fun to be had outside, that the sun's rays are not harmfull in moderation.  They could dust off their bicycles and dig out their ball and glove.  Yes there is a life to be had that doesn't require a screen name and password!  They'd play untill the sun set and reluctantly go home for dinner, and long for the tomorrows where they could once again go out and play.But, alas, the power has returned and all aross the east coast you can hear the whir of fans and hum of monitors as the kids returned to their computers.
Ha! Sounds like the beginnings of a good short story...

It sounds good but that has been one of the major problems: kids on bikes riding through areas with numerous downed electrical lines, buried hazards. Unfortunately, it has not been safe for the children to play outside in many of the areas. Even the beach is not safe due to all the nails and boards from the houses that washed out to sea. Latest talley is 597,900 in Virginia and Northeast North Carolina. Progress!

Looks like you guys running into some more trouble...More Storms Hit Areas Damaged by IsabelSep 23, 4:26 PM (ET)By BILL BASKERVILL RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - The East Coast's recovery from Isabel was dealt a setback Tuesday by another round of storms that caused renewed flooding, flattened trees that had withstood the hurricane and knocked out power to thousands of customers, some for the second time.A tornado with winds of nearly 70 mph touched down along a four-county path that crossed Richmond."Isabel was gravy compared to this guy," Richmond resident James Whitaker said. "We went down and got in the closet downstairs and stayed in it."No injuries were reported from the twister, part of a weather system that also caused damage in Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Isabel was blamed for at least 38 deaths, 23 of them in Virginia. Some 40,000 customers lost power in Virginia on Tuesday, some for the second time since Isabel struck last week.http://apnews.myway.com//article/20030923/.../D7TOAP5G0.html

Before this topic ends, I'd like to thank everyone for their support during Hurricane Isabel. Many of us went through this and it seems most of us were very fortunate. Am I correct that there is still one person that has not checked in? Am hopeful this is due only to loss of power and not serious damage. But I stray from the point of this post. It was very comforting to know that many of you either understood or were concerned about the rest of us. Personally, I got to know a few of you better and got to see some awesome pictures (thanks, teacher). So I'd like to thank the members of this forum that helped to keep my spirits up when I was scared as heck. Hopefully, it will be a very long time before we see another hurricane.

Since Google and NOAA and some others picked up my site for pictures from Hurricane Isabel, the traffic has become too heavy. Everyone is getting locked out. Thus I spent the day copying the site to a new location. If you want to look at the pictures try My Webpage at the new location. The layout is different but the pictures are all the same. You can double click on them to get to the real size..... Still waiting to hear Fran is back on line. Still does not look good. Everyone load up their generators and take them her direction!

fran, aka lil bambi still hasnt checked in? B) hope everything is ok with her. after living through the "Great Blackout of 2003" in Ontario earlier this year, being without power for 24 hours was borderline unbearable. i can't imagine 2+ weeks! ah well, look on the bright side, her Electricity bill will be a lot lower for the month of september. ;) but i'm sure she's getting sick of eating from coleman propane stoves, eh?p.s. - the "great blackout" looks like a friggin joke now, compared to a REAL emergency. they are having an election now in Ontario and they're still bring that blackout up in the debates. i mean, D***, it was just one day of no power, it was actually kinda nice, it being a friday too. maybe the politicians should just save up their energy for a real emergency.

Dominion Power's web site says they have to completely rebuild the power grid and everything there for her section of the state. I am afraid they are at the end of the list for getting power. Rumors keep flying around about a month for some folks. I just pray that is not the case for her. Good thing she likes to camp!

LilBambi/Fran checked in! She is still without power in her town. They say it can be as much as nine days before power is restored. She and her husband are well and have their needs met. However, they did lose part of their roof and five trees. Their town lost four cottages and an office building into the river. They are camping and roughing it until they can get back on line. She said to tell everyone that she is anxious to get back to the forum and misses everyone!