• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teacher

• friendofdot

• BarryB

• siebkens

Well...it has definitely started here. Rain and pretty gusty winds have begun a lot sooner than I thought. This is going to be a very long ordeal :) Bottled water, fresh fruit, canned fruit, pop tarts, crackers, peanut butter...looks like everything is set in that department. Ooops...gotta fill the bathtub with water for flushing (never had to use it thank goodness). Friday afternoon is supposed to be beautiful.Again, good luck to everyone!!!

Hang in there Paula. Or should I say hang on? They are telling us to expect 12 hours of 100 MPH plus winds. Everything is brought inside, tied down. etc. Sorry though, I am not desparate enough for pop tarts! I have plenty to eat plus a propane burner to cook on should the power go out. (Should???? Don't I mean when????)

Yes...I think it was outside of Home Depot...His long coat..and whispering"Hey Buddy...wanna buy a generator" was a hint :)
I got this great deal on a generator - at least that's what the guy in the trenchcoat told me! B) Hatches battened down. Got all of the necessities according to the rock station that I listen to - water, flashlights, cigarettes, beer & ammo. :) We're just expecting lots of rain & high winds - gusts of 60 -70 mph. ____________________The heading to Nebraska Sieb! :)

Wishing all you people will be safe and in good health once this is Isabel is over . . . From the other side of the ocean I´m watching closely what´s happening over there, and am worried about Paula, Fran, Julia, Barry and all others that will be in the ¨path¨ . . . :) Bruno

Guest LilBambi

I am liking it less by the minute ... it will run over us, but there is a chance it might be that we will be on the EAST side of Isabel's path ever so slightly! :) Sure hope it loses some punch before it gets to us!I am very concerned for those of you who are going to be getting 12 hours of expected 100mph winds like Julia!Please keep us posted when you can!

SiebI thought you had a little more class than that. Wave at my husband as he goes by! He is headed to Lynchburg so he won't have to worry about getting stuck on this side of the bridge and not able to get to his race for Saturday. :) I do have wine and champagne around here somewhere. Mimosas should go nicely with a hurricane party. The rain has begun. For those that want fairly real time pictures, look at these webcams linked on the right of this page. They give a fairly good idea of what is happening at the beach. High tide tomorrow is about 1:30 pm and that is when the hurricane should be at full strength here. I expect to see a little flooding with that. I am over 25 foot above sea level at least so I should stay above any possible flooding but they told us to expect over five inches of rain.

Oh, just had to share this with everyone. Where I live, it is a very wide river and many people here have boats of all types and sizes. They just showed the empty boat slips in several marinas and then panned to the widest part of the river. Wow, there are tons and tons of boats anchored in the middle of the river. It is very cool looking. There is speculation that there are some people on these boats because we have a fairly large boat population. As much as I'd love a boat, it would have to be very big to want to live on it., much less go through a hurricane on it?!?!?Think I'm already getting punch drunk. D***, it's gonna be a long night for all of us. Teacher, if we had wireless, could we stay online? At least for a short period... Wishful thinking.

My parents have a 36-foot sailboat anchored in the Neuse river outside of Havelock, NC. They stayed last night at my house on the way back to WV after a 1200 mile round trip to NC to anchor their boat out in the river. I saw someone mention the Neuse - was that you Paula? If so, please let me know how things go there. Feel free to PM me.

I guess I am missing the fun around here. Just got a call from a friend that said she and her husband have been going down to where the camera crews are located. They have been itnerviewed by NBC and ABC today. Maybe I should go run down and join the fun. :DMost of the boats I have seen here have been headed up the highway. Everyone was taking their play toys home.

Maybe I should go run down and join the fun.
By all means! B) We're all eager to see your smiling face on the tube. But try to find the CNN crew. that's what I've been watching all day. I'll look for you. :)

Oh, Teacher, I would love to see you interviewed by Al Roker. He's lost so much weight that he might just blow away soon.Please be careful, everyone. Will continue to check in until it's not possible :)

Well the fringe rain has started here...not much..wind has abated slightly..and here they are predicting a more westerly track after land fall...which is good for us( I think) :blink:And Julia, That would be cool to see ya on CNN or even the Weather Channel.....Just mention penguins..we'll get the message :)

Which side of the hurricane do I want to be on the east or the west? I'm in PA and it looks like it will travel thru here from 5am to 5pm on Fri. I just want to know which way to run! B)

Just mention penguins..we'll get the message
Meanwhile, the reporter will be totally confused..."penguins...in Virginia?" :)
Yea...Wouldn't it be cool!!! :) But otoh if the reporter say's "Oh your friends are Linux users" won't our jaws drop!! B)

Which side of the hurricane do I want to be on the east or the west? I'm in PA and it looks like it will travel thru here from 5am to 5pm on Fri. I just want to know which way to run!  :)
My understanding is the north east quad is the worse....But have a feeling by time it gets to PA it will be a tropical storm level..which isn't fun either. B) .the problem then will be flooding

Yea...Wouldn't it be cool!!! :)  But otoh if the reporter say's "Oh your friends are Linux users" won't our jaws drop!! B)
That would be too funny. Actually I think I will pass going down tonight. I think it is too dark now for them to film decently. Maybe I will go down in the morning on my way to see if the owner of the coffee shop decided to surf or open for business. What's five miles out of the way. Jeber - even funnier is penguins in North Carolina. Hubby ran to Virginia lest he be stuck here and not able to get to his 10 mile race on Saturday but I'm in North Carolina on the Outer Banks. :)

JuliaIsn't Isabel supposed to land fall there (in that area)in the AM.........I have this vision of a 6 second trip to the coffee shop and you yelling make that to Go as your inbound B)

The worst should be in the early afternoon. Landfall down by Paula should be in the early a.m. I imagine it will be a little overwash and flooding in the morning. I at least know where the road floods and how to bypass them. Maybe I will drive the van tomorrow since it sits up a bit higher. As insane as I might sound at times, I really don't take wild chances. I won't go out if the winds are over 70 miles per hour. The gas consumption might be horrible one direction.

If a hurricane is not a category 3 or higher, a person can walk outside. I've walked on the beach during a hurricane, but it was a very mild one. However, many people make the mistake of going out during the eye and thinking it is all over. I do think by tomorrow morning the worst part will be over.I just learned something very cool. If they don't shut down our water supply, I can still shower. Just got a gas hot water heater and you don't need power. I will be clean...and hot. B) OH, NO...the NW quadrant is getting ready to hit in just a couple of hours....UGH.

Guest LilBambi

Oh, no! B) BTW: On the weather list I am on, there was a message that posted the following two links:http://observe.arc.nasa.gov/nasa/earth/hur...cane/cate1.htmlhttp://collierem.org/AllHz/HURR.htmThe first one is pretty cool to look at, the second is dry reading.Good luck all ... they are saying 74mph winds due here within 24 hrs ........ joy!

Good night all. Hopefully, everyone will have a safe and uneventful night. Am going to try to catch a few winks and am looking forward to giving a full report in the AM (positive attitude here). Oh, am even fixing the coffee maker in anticipation of a hot cup tomorrow. Take care, Teacher, and then all you folks in VA and further north. Just remember...Hurricane season ends on December 1...Merry Christmas!

Did you have to go and mention how long is left in the hurricane season? I am still looking at the calendar and see what adding 4 days on to the school year is going to do. So far it looks like just wind and rain. About what I expected at this stage of the game. At least we still have the essentials - electricity and Internet!