Vista Home SP1

kamicota

Thanks StrikerWill look at them in between byebyes Norton (removal tool running now) and another try with it and the other uninstalls too while looking at revo uninstaller alsoAnd whether it is time to install Comodo or ???Cheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

Thanks StrikerWill look at them in between byebyes Norton (removal tool running now) and another try with it and the other uninstalls too while looking at revo uninstaller alsoAnd whether it is time to install Comodo or ???Cheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:
Online Armor??I've tried both and settled on Comodo. (Firewall only)I also tested a very long time Online Armor, liked it very much and it worked like advertised. However, it delayed the systems boot time, which seems a known problem for a long time. That's one of the reasons I opted for Comodo after a lot of hesitations, the second reason was that OA does not have a 64bit version which I'm running (still nothing :thumbsup: , but I know first hand they're working on it) .

YepAnd Tommy has a great uninstaller there - Should seen the Junk files installed - now its MS Office etc on it's journey + + + and then to some installs possibly todayCheers for yearsColin :thumbsup:

OK, I'm off now for a while. If you have new questions or problems arise just ask, and remember, the restore to factory state (F11) sets the computer back to a working state. Only downside is you have to start from scratch with the uninstalls.

Well :( we have OOo on, registry and disk defrag programs, and Comodo Internet but may still have to uninstall some more HP software when we decide which has to go.There are still some very annoying "wireless" hiccups - Times at boot up wireless card activates but will not connect to my network other times it will, often have to remove the router plug and reinsert it. It sometimes tells me I have only limited connection to my network (kamicota1). Went into Vista set up from programs (not from icon on task bar) yesterday and actual found another place to insert my password.After unintstalling some programs rebooted and voila it connected but we will see what happens today.Am still seriously considering installing Dual boot with MDV Gnome but will play a little longer but need to have the MSi Wind set up with origional XP only before next week end for my Grand Daughter and then HP Lappy takes over.So Striker your play with it for a week seems to be in vogue :hysterical: Cheers for YearsColin :)

Frank Golden

Colin I use "Partimage" a free linux based (Gentoo) tool to create images of all my Operating System partitions including Windows.It creates images of NTFS partitions as well as ext3.The images I create I save to a Fat32 shared partition on my HDD. I also save directly to a 16 GB fat32 formatted flash drive.The program allows two levels of compression for the image. I use the first level which reduces the image size from a 4 GB install to about 1.8 GB. It only copies to image the used space of a partition so for example if you have a 20 GB partition and 4 GB is taken up by a linux distro it only creates an image from the 4 GB.It takes anywhere from 6 minutes to 26 minutes to create an image depending on the size of the used space.Restoring is much faster especially from a flash drive (restoring from my Fat32 shared partition procedes at the rate of 1.3 GB /minute, restoring from my 16 GB flash device is at a blistering 2.5 GB/minute).The program is available as a standalone or part of the SystemRescueCD (the version I use).I create images frequently especially when I'm about to do something risky.I have all the OS partition's (6 of them) imaged and copies saved to an external drive.They are also saved to an 8 GB and a 16 GB flash drive because I like the speed to restore.I've created a tutorial on using Partimage at the Ubuntu Forums and there is also a more polished tutorial there created by another forum member based on mine. If you decide to try Partimage I can create an instruction set based on the exact situation you have (partition name eg: sda1, sda2 etc.) all I would need is the partition names.SystemRescueCD is an .iso you can download and burn to CD to create a bootable Rescue Disk that contains partimage as one of the tools.http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_PageBelow is a link to my tutorial.http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=226402Below is link to more polished tut based on mine.http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=287522Any questions about using "Partimage" PM me or post here.It really is an easy program to use and I've found it to work quite well.The only real limitation I've found is you can't save an image and restore it from a NTFS formatted drive or flash device, althoughyou can create an image of a NTFS partition as long as you save it to a fat32 or ext3 partitioned device.

StrikerNo more error message as yet :) FrankLike the idea of partimage and still have to absorb what you just wrote - am a little worried that presently windows has 17GB on drive "C" and 4GB or so on Drive "D" - then there will be whatever I end up with on Gnome--->>> worried on where to store this image as my 32GB flash usb seems to be having the collywoobles lalely although I do have a 250GB external USB.This week will recover a 5ooGB drive from a desky am giving to another grand daughter and leaving her with the 250GB.And last but not least--->>> THE HP DOES NOT HAVE A CD/DVD ON IT AND NO EXTERNAL ONE EITHER.So looks like we are moving in SOME :hysterical: DIRECTION hopefully the right oneCheers for yearsColin :(

Edited by kamicota

Yep Striker :hysterical: :( And there we go again "MORE READING" for the rather crossed eyed :blink:aftermath this week with LappyCheers for yearsColin :)

FrankFrom--->>>http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=226402We have this in the first few lines--->>>First download the SystemRescueCD and burn to CD using instructions on site.The HP does NOT have a CD/DVD burner.So where too from here Have a system rescue cd somewhere in my collection but for computers with CD/DVD capabilities Any thoughts out thereOr is it just to do this with MDV Gnome after installing from --->>>the USB stick??? B) AND :thumbsup: :o :( it IS time to reboot the HP and see what we have with respect to "wireless" right nowCheers for Years :o Colin

Edited by kamicota

OOPS!!! :w00t: :o In new phaseDecided it was time to reactivate, download and install new updates before any backups/images etcSo we will see soon :w00t: where this leadsCheers for YearsColi :( n--->>>heck :w00t: :pirate: :o it's been on 5mins and STILL"CHECKING" for updates :thumbsup: eh???--->>>SHOOT there are 27 and 141MB's :lol: we'll be there for an hour or more B)

Edited by kamicota

Colin, any chance you're going to think about buying an external USB DVD Recorder sometime? That would make things a lot easier, and it's usable in Win + Lin.

StrikerAt this point in time after $570.00 Canadian for the HP- and upcoming Flight and Seminar in Minneapolis USA and the price IE--->>>$100.00 or so for the External drive --->>>it seems out of the question --->>>Think the better half would probably ask for a divorce :thumbsup: B) :o Cheers for YearsColin :pirate:--->>>OOPS!!! :( may have top save up a little extra for this one in Calgary--->>>http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-...07%28ME%29.aspx--->>>shoot :w00t: after the update Drive "C" went from 16 to 18+GB - does the bloat ever stop :o

Edited by kamicota

Looks nice! and better than the 1,5 ton cluncker I have laying on my desk here.Is SP2 one of the updates Colin? That one takes a slice of space you know. 

Frank Golden
FrankFrom--->>>http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=226402We have this in the first few lines--->>>First download the SystemRescueCD and burn to CD using instructions on site.The HP does NOT have a CD/DVD burner.So where too from here Have a system rescue cd somewhere in my collection but for computers with CD/DVD capabilities Any thoughts out thereOr is it just to do this with MDV Gnome after installing from --->>>the USB stick??? B) AND :thumbsup: :o :( it IS time to reboot the HP and see what we have with respect to "wireless" right nowCheers for Years :o Colin
Hi Colin, the SysrescueCD site has instructions for creating a USB flash drive version of SystemRescueCD.Update Colin: I just created a USB flash version of the latest version of SystemRescueCD using "Unetbootin" a free Windows program to create Live USB drives of various linux distros including SystemRescueCD.http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/To use download the windows version from the above site.No install needed, just click the .exe you download to start the program.I installed the latest SystemRescueCD to a 2 GB cruizer mini.Before starting format your drive to Fat32.Download and save the SystemRescueCD to your desktop (for convenience).Plug in your USB drive and then open Unetbootin'.Using the (distribution) dropdown at top of program window choose SystemRescueCD.Then select the diskimage radio button and using the browse button on the left of that field and browse to the SystemRescueCD.iso you D/L earlier.Make sure your Flash drive letter appears in field at bottom and click OK.Give it a few minutes to complete and you now have a bootable SystemRescueCD/USB.Boot to it and choose US from the menu.SystemRescueCD will load.I tested it on my machine and it worked fine. Edited by Frank Golden

OOPS!!! B) :hysterical: FrankJUST deleted "C" :"> :"> :thumbsup: of HP Vista/MDV (KNOWING f11 will restore it) thinking my 2GB flash drive was XP bootable even after having HP 700MB drivers downloaded and the present drivers off the netbbook saved on to TWO USB sticks BUT OOPS!!! B) eh but i was NOTSo after several hours of searching HOW-TO put XP on to a bootable USB stick amd a little at odds with what is happening so--->>>Can Unebootin also make a bootable USB flash drive with XP from a CD as it can with Linux Distributions and if so howPresent "BUSY COPYING MY XP CD TO USB FLASH AND STILL only half done ( Don't even know if this will work :hysterical: )Cheers for YearsColin :hysterical:

Edited by kamicota

OOPS!!! B) :hysterical: FrankJUST deleted "C" :thumbsup: :w00t: :w00t: of HP Vista/MDV (KNOWING f11 will restore it) thinking my 2GB flash drive was XP bootable even after having HP 700MB drivers downloaded and the present drivers off the netbbook saved on to TWO USB sticks BUT OOPS!!! B) eh but i was NOTSo after several hours of searching HOW-TO put XP on to a bootable USB stick amd a little at odds with what is happening so--->>>Can Unebootin also make a bootable USB flash drive with XP from a CD as it can with Linux Distributions and if so howPresent "BUSY COPYING MY XP CD TO USB FLASH AND STILL only half done ( Don't even know if this will work :"> )Cheers for YearsColin :">
No, unetbootin won't do Windows :hysterical: :hysterical: See tutorial below for creating USB flash installer for XP.http://www.eeeguides.com/2007/11/installin...-usb-thumb.htmlI haven't tried this but I might just to see if it works.COLIN:DO NOT TRY THE ABOVE METHOD. The programs linked to in the tutorial are from a peer to peer site I don't trust. Everything about the site is fishy. Edited by Frank Golden

FrankTried that Peu... program and did not get a bootable XP USB flash driveSo for now am batting 0.00 - MSi Netbook return to origional - NOT - MDV still there and HP to install XP in place of Vista are both in LimboCan access XP in MSi but MDV still on it Yet in HP MDV still there but NO Vista (I think haven't tried MDV yet)Cheers for YearsColin B)