Vista Home SP1

kamicota

Hi AllHave just bought what I thought was a NETBOOK ;) ;) but it more like a laptop in quality --->>>http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF...ng=en&cc=caIt has Vista Home SP1 installed AND --->>> I have NEVER played with Vista at all!!!A first for me--->>> I have not even started it up yet - have allowed the battery to charge up all night and --->>>Am in the process of researching what maintenance and protection software I need for this as well as what to turn offThis is in addition to uninstalling all HP trial software like Office and Norton etcHave read of issues with Zonealarm Free Firewall yet also read Vista's own firewall is a capable alternativeStill have to find what antivirus would be suitable maybe even AVG Free.Heard that "decrapifier" is a suitable maintenance program to useBut are there any suggestion please on what other programs and tweaks to do???Cheers for yearsColin :thumbsup:

Edited by kamicota

NICK ADSL UK
Hi AllHave just bought what I thought was a NETBOOK ;) ;) but it more like a laptop in quality --->>>http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF...ng=en&cc=caIt has Vista Home SP1 installed AND --->>> I have NEVER played with Vista at all!!!A first for me--->>> I have not even started it up yet - have allowed the battery to charge up all night and --->>>Am in the process of researching what maintenance and protection software I need for this as well as what to turn offThis is in addition to uninstalling all HP trial software like Office and Norton etcHave read of issues with Zonealarm Free Firewall yet also read Vista's own firewall is a capable alternativeStill have to find what antivirus would be suitable maybe even AVG Free.Heard that "decrapifier" is a suitable maintenance program to useBut are there any suggestion please on what other programs and tweaks to do???Cheers for yearsColin :thumbsup:
hi colin :) yes that's a very good idea in getting all the bundled software off your computer. "decrapifier"is a good choice. as for the security of your system i would advise nod32 which is shareware or avast as a good alternative. the windows firewall is adequate for most users and software like tweak vi will allow you to customize your computer for your needs. if you need any other application then i will advise you further. always remember the Golden rule if unsure then just ask and then you wont go wrong http://www.totalidea.com/product.php?Product=TweakVIregards Edited by NICK ADSL UK

Pre-installed software HP MediaSmart; Muvee Reveal; Cyberlink DVD Suite; AdobeĀ® Acrobat Reader; HP Games Powered by Wild Tangent
Cautious Colin... HP Games Powered by Wild Tangent, Wild Tangent is a bad piece of **&^% no one wants on his machine. It's malware.I would first get rid of the crap on the machine.I then would make sure it runs like it should without problems. If so update the machine (incl. SP2 for Vista).Use the machine offline for a couple of days and check whether it runs OK: after SP2 and a couple of restarts defrag the machine.When all is well, go ahead with the other tweaks/installs whatever. That's just the start...Now the rest:Resources to check:http://www.vista4beginners.com/http://www.vistax64.com/and maybe if you're interested:http://www.askvg.com/http://www.officialwindowsmagazine.com/http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/Vista's firewall is indeed capable of both inbound and outbound protection, however to have it protecting outbound, well I still don't trust the thing, but that's my personal opinion. I use Comodo Firewall Pro (free) or Online Armor Free (which I used back when I was on 32 bit). Others are available, some of which are free.Anti this and that... AV, free: Avast, AVG, Avira Free. (the latter I used before going the paid Premium route).Norton Antibot (paid) or ThreatFire (free). Maybe PrevX (Free, only detects but does not remove, Paid also removes). I have a license for the paid version.These were just some basic suggestions. However, it all depends on what you're going to do with the new machine...

Thank you NICK ADSL UKThink that was Tweak UI not vi that you mention - tried it once and it seemed so complicated but will venture 4th and look again.Like your comment about Vista firewall --->>is adequate for most users - yet ZoneAlarm is still offers the best protection.Antivirus am still leaning towards AVG freeOOPS!!! ;) I was wrong it is --->>>TweakVI for Windows Vista so will have to explore that too. So finding these new programs seems like CHANGES are ion the airCheers for yearsColin ;)

Boy StrikerJust saw your replies and looks like I have som research to do amd YES had very unpleasant experiences with Wild Tangent beforeLove the link to beginners - and at present am still not ready to with it on until the direction as to protection tweaks and removing the necessary services like I did in XPThanks sometimes great minds think alike - as Zonealrm gives Vista Palpitations I too was thinking about Comodo Looks as if things are taking shape and I have what is necessary on a USB stick to inject new life into the HP.Cheers for yearsColin ;)

;) Just ask if there are more questions Colin. The forums have an enormous amount of knowledgeable members running XP,Vista or Windows 7 (RC).

as i recall, both of these are accessed by right-clicking the 'Computer' icon in the Start menugive the page files a fixed amount space, use the recommended sizedo not let the OS determine the performance settings for running ,change the preferences to best performance and then adjust the settings to get the balance of features and performance you are most comfortable with.

Thanks crpFinally got a Windows Explorer Icon on Desktop although reverted back to the Vista DesktopHave been looking around reading and trying to decide what else to installComodo Internet is on a working with Firewall and Antivirus - a little different but getting used with it.Still have a few HP 'decrapifying" to do when I decide if they really need to go but will itemise them later when I am back on the HP.Have yet to find HOW to--->>>give the page files a fixed amount space, use the recommended size--->>>do not let the OS determine the performance settings for running ,--->>>change the preferences to best performance and then adjust the settings to get the balance of features and performance you are most comfortable with.But it is early days yet as FOR ONCE :) am NOT rushing this.Am so surprised there is still 19GB on Drive "C" though and this is with system restore switched off.Read somewhere TWEAK VI produced some weird conditions on some peoples computers so for now am exploring also which utility software to install and try ie:- Glary, Perfect Disk, System Mechanic, Wise Reg Cleaner, Fix-it Utilities, System Tuneup, Abexo, Wopti --->>> and maybe others.Is there a list of what SERVICES to disable - like these I disabled in XP for the least amount of intrusion--->>>Automatic updatesError Reporting ServiceHelp and SupportIndexing ServiceMessengerNetmeeting Remote Desktop SharingRemote Access Auto Connection ManagerRemote Desktop Help Session ManagerRemote RegistryRouting and Remote AccessSecurity CenterTelnetWMI Performance AdapterHope this was not much of an update as I PLOD :D alongCheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

Thank you Frank :thumbsup: HECK :w00t: what a list in service seems a lot more than XP Seems like FOREVER :) the setting up of the HP is taking hu??? :D Like any November's Child it is PATIENCE we have to learnCheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

Heck :w00t: the CHALLENGES continue ;) just booted into the HP or though I hadShown --->>>C\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted or that you have connected to the internet or your network and try again . If it still cannot be located the information might have been moved to a different location There was another pop up at the right of the task bar but I was too slow in reading and typing thisAnd it is in XP desktop gui but if memory serves me right I had it on the Vista desktop obefore I shut downI am going to unplug the router (wireless) and see what happens and nothing improves may even try the MDV USB boot diskCheers for YearsColin--->>>STILL PLODDING along B)

WellStill no success and the pop up said something about not accesing Group Policy +++Got into the bios and now we have MDV Gnome working from the usb stick and am ;posting from it.Am considering after leaving MDV at some point in time of --->>>Pressing f11 and accessing the recovery partition and setting it back to default install - "decrapifying" it and then --->>>Back into USB MDV - repartitioning drive "C" ( leaving "D" ( recovery partition) ) and installing a dual boot MDV/Vista Wether this is the way to go I may just have to sleep on it and see what the morning brings because as for now am not too happy with VistaAny comments on THIS and the PREVIOUS post are greatly appreciatedCheers for yearsColin :thumbsup:

Think about this: you can look at Vista in a way like a wannabee copy of some Linux distro. (no offense to any user using Windows or whatever)In the cheaper versions of Vista there's no Group Policy, Bitlocker and a couple of other things.Aero is available from Home Premium and above.The first thing I disabled was the SideBar: it takes up too much 'power' for things you don't need, even on a power house computer. Aero I left working, but if you want you can disable it. You'll then end up with the basic desktop without the Aero effects.Regarding the services in Vista Colin: how much that BlackVipers link is mentioned on the net I don't know, doesn't matter even, but Vista is not XP: leave those services alone.Now can you tell us Colin what you are trying to accomplish in Vista in chronological order?Which Vista version do you have Colin? Home Premium? :thumbsup:

Thank You Striker :thumbsup: Unfortunately it is only Vista Home BasicOnly disabled ONE Services can't remember which off hand - BUT I worked with Vista for two days after that and all OK even after Installed Comodo Internet and Tuneup Utilities - used the all in one BUT would not let it touch "D" - the recovery partition - installed ccleaner and used it a couple of times. Installed Final Uninstaller and got rid of some junk left overs such as Norton - installed Norton removal tool and used that. .Spent a couple of days looking for what other programs or help that may be needed THEN started it up again - then we got this --->>>C\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted or that you have connected to the internet or your network and try again . If it still cannot be located the information might have been moved to a different locationTried MDV Gnome (USB stick) and it worked well found Wireless :rolleyes: gave me sound and correct resolution (1280x800)Origional Plan was just to leave Vista and only use that but after all that has happened will probably install MDV Gnome from the USB stick. LOVE to give myself options so have Three Plans and wondering which to go with.Plan #1 Use f11 and restore default/origional set up with vistaDecrapify including Norton MS Word and Office and some of HP stuffInstall Comodo, Openoffice +++???Use MDV Gnome and resize drive "C" with 40GB or less for VistaThree new partitions - EXT root EXT Home and SwapInstall MDVSet up Drive "D" in GrubPlan #2Use Driver Magician or w.h.y and put all drivers on a usb stick (for unforseen necessities in the future)Use MDV USBWipe Drive "C"Install MDV and use it onlyBut include "D" in gruborPlan #3Use Driver Magician or w.h.y and put all drivers on a usb stickUse Gnome Bootable USB Live to set up "C" for Gnome and XPPut XP on to a bootable USB StickInstall XP on "C"If driver problems use USB drivers to set upInstall GnomeInclude "D" recovery partition in grub.So all thoughts and comments are welcome EVEN if there is a Plan that has not been considered :thumbsup: B) Cheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

I would try to restore the computer (vista) to a usable state, before doing anything else.The common factor seems to be Norton, for the problem you mentioned with Norton as common factor I found a link over here:http://nw360.blogspot.com/2008/11/location...-available.htmlWhen you search the net for the problem you're describing you'll find a couple of links. ( search option: C\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable )I would only commence with a follow up plan if Vista was back into a state in where it would work alright.If you have it that way, leave it as is and use it for a week or so.

StrikerWent to the link and tried--->>>The solution is quite simple, reboot the PC. If this doesn't work, go to Last Known Good Configuration (advanced) when you start Vista. This option enables you to start Windows Vista with the last registry and driver configuration that worked successfully. How to access this startup option, please visit Windows Vista Advanced Boot Options.--->>>BUT got back to the Location is not available againExploring the link further nowTried other advice from the link to remove comodo but it could not find that while in the uninstall software etc while in the control panelNOW going to try f11 and see what happensAre you suggesting here--->>>If you have it that way, leave it as is and use it for a week or so. --->>> To leave Norton on it also also??? Cheers for yearsColin :thumbsup:

Edited by kamicota

What I did understand was that you have a restore option (F11) to put the computer back to factory state. Once you did that, leave it as it is right then and use the system (Vista that is) whenever you can for about a week. Am I right Norton is a trial version Colin? If so, cancel any question it may ask to accept the trial or to update it. Remove it through the usual Windows Remove Software applet (Device Manager has an option for Programs and ....) but it may be called a little bit different, I'm on a dutch version.After that use the Norton uninstall utility to get rid of the usual crap left behind. Then reboot and let it reboot fully and see what gives: error message or no error message. For the uninstall utility see: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039 Ā as a starting point. You then should install another AV or your choice. Or maybe Norton is your choice, in that case there's no need to uninstall it: you can use it if you like and have protection.Before I forget: I saw you're using Comodo, the firewall that is ? If so, it offers to install an AV: two AV might basically conflict with each other if both use a resident shield, so I would not accept the AV install of Comodo. Besides that it still isn't where other high end contenders are. Also watch it while installing Comodo to not accept the offer to have it install any toolbar, whatever the name of that toolbar is nowadays, hopbar or hotsurf, can't remember right now. the firewall only, that is what you want.

StrikerTh f11 install is just about finishedDID NOT even run Norton just uninstalled Norton via uninstall on control panel and did use Norton tool a couple of times - installed comodo with Firewall and AV so should have been OK.Have NEW Norton Removal tool (got it from your link) and will use that after uninstalling it from Control Panel/Uninstall softwareAnd what to put on is now up on the air againThe recovery right now is installing software and we will see what questions I have to answer after it reboots againAt present am NOT comfortable to try it for a week but will for a couple of days or so while installing whatever on itCheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

Edited by kamicota

Good Colin!Ā To resume:1. you restored the machine to factory defaults.2. you installed Comodo Firewall Pro + its AntiVirus. (and NO toolbar I hope?)3. you're going to test the fresh set up a couple of days.Whenever an error message like before is coming up, or any error message at all, post it here before going another step.

OOPS!!! StrikerNo all that about comodo was before all this B) Right now it has taken 20mins to do recovery and installing software is taking another 20mins or so :rolleyes: So will uninstall Norton from Control panel and then use the Removal tool a couple of times or whatever is necessaryThen --->>>Comodo Firewall and Antivirus and will NOT install tool barAnd will post any error messages Probably will uninstall MS Works and Office trials tooHeck the :thumbsup: :w00t: :w00t: is still installing software - hope it's ready before nighty nights :thumbsup: so I can get on with itCheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

Thanks Tommy Have just downloaded revo uninstaller too to give that a try after we have uninstalled each individual picee of "crapware"Cheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

Shoot :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :pirate: :pirate: :pirate: that is three reboots and three times--->>>software being installedWhat have I got myself into here with Vista/HP :thumbsup: Cheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

Better stick with one goal for now Colin: get the machine back on track.Leave the other utils for later, when you have made a real nice image of the system as it will be once you have it the way you like it. If needed we'll get to that later.

Shoot :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :pirate: :pirate: :pirate: that is three reboots and three times--->>>software being installedWhat have I got myself into here with Vista/HP :thumbsup: Cheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:
Just let it do the whole rigamarole. Don't interrupt it because that might leave the machine in an unbootable state. Just be patient and let the process do its magic.

Striker ???when you have made a real nice image of the system as it will be once you have it the way you like it.--->>> You mean a restore point or whatCheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

Striker ???when you have made a real nice image of the system as it will be once you have it the way you like it.--->>> You mean a restore point or whatCheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:
No Colin, a real image of the system drive. For ex. a Ghost image. Do you recognize that? (I don't use Ghost anymore, have an alternative.)Such an image one can use whenevr there's a problem with the system. Restoring the image only takes a 10 to 15 minutes or so and after the restore proces you go on with your work like nothing happened before. :thumbsup: This however does mean one has to create such an image of the system at some point in time to be used when the need arises. But wihout an image, you're often toasted when things go real awry, meaning a reinstall of Windows like they say so often. And that means consuming time, frustrations, headaches and who knows what. O, I forgot: sleepless nights. With a good image however, it's a sort of way back to good-state.Just like you're doing now with the restore process with only one difference: the restore process basically does the same thing, however you end up with old applications in a few years when doing the restore. With an image you always have an actual system snapshot, not an old one, if and only if you take the time to once a month or once every two weeks or so create a new image of the system and store it in a safe place.People doing much installs and uninstalls and trying out software often take an image every day...

Righty HoFinally it is up and running Now just have to decide what alternative to Ghost is needed :thumbsup: Am off to see how to turn off system restoreCheers for YearColin :thumbsup: