Avermedia AverTV USB

alphaomega

Avermedia AverTV USB deviceI've tracked down a few posts (using google) where people were encounteringsimilar problems to mine...but nothing definite on how to get it to work (or if it actually will.).One of the errors I'm seeing is:
kernel: usb 2-1: No supported image sensor has been detected by the 'ovcamchip' module for the W996[87]CF JPEG USB Dual Mode Camera (/dev/video0). Make sure it is loaded *before* (re)connecting the camera.

Does this mean "it's not going to work"...or that...I need to figure out a way to determine what image sensor is used...and find a driver for that?If I disconnect and reconnect...I see this error:

udevd-event[3331]: mknod(/dev/bus/usb/002/004, 020664, (189,131) failed: Operation not permitted

Any ideas?TIACheers

securitybreach

Well just a quick glance it looks as though you are missing some modules. If you can locate the correct module and modprobe it, then it should work fine. After all by the looks of your messages, the kernel does reconize the device. Also, it would help to know the distro you are using, to be able to locate what module needs to be loaded. Here is a good place to start:http://stuff.mit.edu/afs/sipb/contrib/linu...nux/w9968cf.txt

7. Module loading=================To use the driver, it is necessary to load the "w9968cf" module into memoryafter every other module required.Loading can be done this way, from root: [root@localhost home]# modprobe usbcore [root@localhost home]# modprobe i2c-core [root@localhost home]# modprobe videodev [root@localhost home]# modprobe w9968cfAt this point the pertinent devices should be recognized: "dmesg" can be usedto analyze kernel messages: [user@localhost home]$ dmesg
By the look of the webpage, at least it looks to be better supported than some other "win" tvtuners. If this that works for you, loading the modules at boot should be simple enough.Thanks Edited by securitybreach

Well just a quick glance it looks as though you are missing some modules. If you can locate the correct module and modprobe it, then it should work fine. After all by the looks of your messages, the kernel does reconize the device. Also, it would help to know the distro you are using, to be able to locate what module needs to be loaded. Here is a good place to start:http://stuff.mit.edu/afs/sipb/contrib/linu...nux/w9968cf.txtBy the look of the webpage, at least it looks to be better supported than some other "win" tvtuners. If this that works for you, loading the modules at boot should be simple enough.Thanks
When the device is plugged in...all those modules are listed (except for usbcore).I'm just not sure in what order they were loaded though...I've tried removing them and starting over to make surethe modules were loaded as listed...but at the time, I did not have much luck getting all the modules removed first.Will try again...Tried removing the modules...OKTried loading them...(usbcore not found...it's included in the kernel)...Loaded everything (minus usbcore)...Plugged in the device.Same error messages as before in the log files.And this:
mplayer tv:// -v -fps 29.97 -tv driver=v4l:width=320:height=240:device=/dev/video0

Gives me:

Playing tv://.get_path('sub/') -> '/home/alpha/.mplayer/sub/'STREAM: [tv] tv://STREAM: Description: TV InputSTREAM: Author: Benjamin Zores, AlbeuSTREAM: Comment:TV file format detected.Selected driver: v4l name: Video 4 Linux input author: Alex Beregszaszi comment: under developmentunable to open '/dev/video0': No such devicevo: x11 uninit called but X11 not initialized..

Edited by alphaomega

Support for it is coming in kernel 2.6.31. http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/...51cf811864b42f7See also: http://www.h-online.com/open/Kernel-Log-Co...o--/news/113958Scroll down to section V4L/DVB.
??? I'm not too sure...All those AverTV devices look like much newer devices.Mine (from my understanding) is one of the very first models put out by AverTV.I do not see any device ID's in the list that match mine.Avermedia AverTV USB Model # M008ID 1046:9967 Winbond Electronics Corp. [hex] W9967CF/W9968CF Webcam IC

Selected driver: v4l
I've had often succes with the other one, V4L2.(not with a TV card, I don't use that. But with different video things. Just thought to mention it, maybe it does make the difference.)