ip packets

JerryM

I am wondering why one of my AV's firewall (Avira) is default to prevent all ip packets?Does malware come by that route? In looking at the addresses of the packets it would seem that they might be desirable, but I am not expert enough to determine that. But if they have some benefit why are they blocked by default in at least some AVs?Examplesip 8.12.213.113ip 65.55.15.124ip 62.146.210.133Thanks in advance.Regards,Jerry

I am wondering why one of my AV's firewall (Avira) is default to prevent all ip packets?Does malware come by that route? In looking at the addresses of the packets it would seem that they might be desirable, but I am not expert enough to determine that. But if they have some benefit why are they blocked by default in at least some AVs?Examplesip 8.12.213.113ip 65.55.15.124ip 62.146.210.133Thanks in advance.Regards,Jerry
You can google "whois 8.12.213.113" to determine who owns that ip address. That one belongs to Level 3 Communications, Inc which is a large ISP listed on Nasgaq. The second belongs to Microsoft and the third to Avira. Are you sure your Avira firewall is blocking itself? :teehee: Edited by lewmur

You can google "whois 8.12.213.113" to determine who owns that ip address. That one belongs to Level 3 Communications, Inc which is a large ISP listed on Nasgaq. The second belongs to Microsoft and the third to Avira. Are you sure your Avira firewall is blocking itself? :teehee:
Hi lewmur,Yes, and it just does not make sense to me. I am tempted to change that rule, but want to find out about the risk. I also have it on my laptop, but have never had a pop up like that. Maybe it is the same, but does not inform me. I do not know how to change the rule, but it can't be too difficult.I have asked the question on the Avira forum, but no help so far. I have to admit I have always more responsive help on this forum than any for such problems.Thanks,Jerry

Prevents all IP packets? Are you getting any kind of internet connectivity? Are you using the same computer to log on here and post on the forum?It's virtually impossible to tell just by looking at the IP address if it's malware related or not. You might be able to glean some information by knowing what port it was using. But the only true way of finding out is to analyze the payload information and unless you're a software engineer, that's not gonna happen. You probably inadvertently chose the wrong setting during the setup phase. Edited by Tushman

Prevents all IP packets? Are you getting any kind of internet connectivity? Are you using the same computer to log on here and post on the forum?It's virtually impossible to tell just by looking at the IP address if it's malware related or not. You might be able to glean some information by knowing what port it was using. But the only true way of finding out is to analyze the payload information and unless you're a software engineer, that's not gonna happen. You probably inadvertently chose the wrong setting during the setup phase.
Hi Tushman,I installed with the default settings, and did not select anything.I am not having any problems with internet connectivity, and am using the same machine here.I was hoping to hear from the Avira forum, but so far nothing. If I don't learn something tomorrow I'll probably ditch Avira and return to KIS.I am not very computer literate, and so cannot do an analysis that you or many here could do. If an AV causes me much trouble I uninstall it. I have found that KIS and Avast run well, and I wanted to trial Avira. It is running well on my laptop.Thanks for the comments.Regards,Jerry

Hi Tushman,I installed with the default settings, and did not select anything.I am not having any problems with internet connectivity, and am using the same machine here.I was hoping to hear from the Avira forum, but so far nothing. If I don't learn something tomorrow I'll probably ditch Avira and return to KIS.I am not very computer literate, and so cannot do an analysis that you or many here could do. If an AV causes me much trouble I uninstall it. I have found that KIS and Avast run well, and I wanted to trial Avira. It is running well on my laptop.Thanks for the comments.Regards,Jerry
There's way it could be blocking all IP packets. If that was true, you wouldn't be able to view any websites. Perhaps you meant to say it was blocking all traffic coming from those IP addresses you listed. Different situation.Whatever the case may be, I'm a little surprised that Avira is blocking those IP addresses. Which specific product of Avira are you using? There shouldn't be too much hassle when it comes to antivirus solutions. Especially for home users. It either works or doesn't. Have you considered NOD32? Not free. But one of the best antivirus solutions around and many of us here on the forum use it, myself included.

There's way it could be blocking all IP packets. If that was true, you wouldn't be able to view any websites. Perhaps you meant to say it was blocking all traffic coming from those IP addresses you listed. Different situation.Whatever the case may be, I'm a little surprised that Avira is blocking those IP addresses. Which specific product of Avira are you using? There shouldn't be too much hassle when it comes to antivirus solutions. Especially for home users. It either works or doesn't. Have you considered NOD32? Not free. But one of the best antivirus solutions around and many of us here on the forum use it, myself included.
Hi Tushman,The pop up says that the rule is to block all ip packets. I am using a 92 day trial of Avira Premium IS. I have been using KIS 9, and it has done well. I just wanted to trial Avira IS. It is running well on my laptop, and I have not gotten such pop ups. I may leave it on the laptop when the trial is over. I am going to ditch Avira if I don't get some info from the Avira forum soon.I have used NOD32, and it did well. I am not sure why I never selected it as my primary because it is a top notch application. I have found that KIS/KAV and Avast run very well on both of my machines. I like Avast better all the time. It runs well, and has really improved detection rates per AV Comparatives. I have not had the FP problem.However, I scanned with Avira yesterday and it said that the Ewido exe that I have in my DL folder was a trojan dropper or something similar. It identified 7 such from the same thing. Every now and then I like to try something new so that is why I am doing this.I will probably return to KIS on this computer as it does well for me, and I have multiple year licenses.I do appreciate your help. If I get anything from the Avira forum I'll post it here for information. Thanks a lot.Regards,Jerry

Here are some things I gleaned from the HELP section of Avira program. No help so far from Avira forum.Here are the settings for the firewall.Avira Firewall Security levels.HighComputer not visible in networkConnections from outside are blockedFlooding and portscan are preventedMediumSuspicious TCP and UDP packets are discardedFlooding and portscan are prevented.LowFlooding and portscan are detected.I am not sure if the firewall needs to be set to high, but that is the default setting. That is the reason for the blocking of the ip packets, but I still do not understand the impact of it.Added. With the firewall set for medium security the pop ups continue. ;) Regards,Jerry

Edited by JerryM