IE 7 won't start up

rpiz

Hi! After having an issue with my Windows OS I had to finally reinstall Windows, as per another postin another part of this forum. In any event after completing the reinstall of Windows I cannot get Internet Explorer 7 to open up. Can someone provide to course of action that will get IE 7 to open.I even went to Microsoft site and downloaded what appear as IE 7 for Windows XP sp2; but no luck.Thanks.

EricWhen I click on the 'e' icon I get a quick flash of what can be viewed as the outside shell of the browserwindow. This flash is very brief and nothing further happens as far as an available browser window.Thanks

V.T. Eric Layton

This is a brand new fresh install of Windows, huh? I'd have to lean toward a corrupted install. Does everything else work normally?

MacI visited the site that you listed and downloaded IE 7 again, followed by another install. But still the same result,IE just flashes a quick outline of what would be the outside frame of a browser and then disappears. I didn'ttry IE 8 at this point because I am not sure the jury has finally approved it OK to install universally???

V.T. Eric Layton

I still think you have a corrupted Windows install... missing .dlls, corrupted registry, something like that. For all the aggravation you're dealing with here, rpiz, just take twenty more minutes out of your busy life and reinstall Windows. You'll probably save yourself a lot of heartache in the long run.Say you actually manage, after who knows how much time wasted, to solve the IE problem. If it is indeed being caused by a partially corrupt install, a few months down the road (after you've spent days/weeks customizing your system the way you like it), this bugaboo could raise its ugly head again when you're trying to upgrade an app or install something new.To me, it's not worth the time and effort to troubleshoot this. SHOTGUN the whole installation and do-over. That's my advice.Regards,~Eric

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton

Have you run sfc /scannow ?http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747that will look over all your system files and fix what needs to be fixed. It's less drastic than another reinstall and it just might fix what ever is broken.If it doesn'r work and IE still refuses to launch then I guess a clean install is what is needed.

ZlimYes I did run 'sfc /scannow' and nothing appeared broken, which on the surface is a good thing; unfortunatelyI still have the problem with inconsistent bootups and the issue with IE7 not starting at all. I sent for an adapter that will convert hard drive 40 pin cable to an SATA drive, and I cloned the existing hard drive tothis new SATA drive. Subsequently, after the adapter arrives, I will switch out drives and test the stability ofthe new drive. This most immediate approach may signal that the old drive was the main problem and resolveall issues. In the meantime if anyone has additional suggestions please feel free to post here and I will take alook at each offer. Thanks.