Stable Firebird build?

Prelude76

on the website, Burning Edge, where they give details of each day's build, it seems theres always as many new regression as new fixes. I'm using the 20030830 build. i've tried maybe 8 or so different builds that are newer than 0.6 milestone. some were unstable as heck, and i got several big time crashes.my question, what's the most recent stable build? so far, the 20030830 build has been good to me (knock on wood) but what builds are you guys using and which would u recommend other than the stable milestone? and when do you think the next milestion (0.7) will be out?

I am using the 0.6.1 stable build and have had no problems with it. I quit playing with the nightly builds for 2 reasons. The first being 0.6.1 has been rock solid for me. The second, to para-phrase Forrest Gump "Nightly builds are like a box of chocolates......" I got tired of getting my time wasted customizing the browser just for it to be unstable.As far as 0.7 goes.......who knows, and that is a good thing. The Firebird team releases updates (other than nightly) when they are ready, not by some date on a calendar like some companies do. Anyhoo, nice to see you are still here Prelude. Take care bud.

I've been going back to the original milestone build; that so far for me has been the most stable. The XFT build for Linux has been stable there.

Anyhoo, nice to see you are still here Prelude. Take care bud.
nice to see you back too. did you take a teachers' extended vacation this summer? :lol: i hear you about the stable 'milestone'. i'm about 2 or 3 more nightly-build tests away from going back to the milestone.

Try the 08-17 (or 08-16) build... I'm using the Athlon optimized Aug16 build and love it... I'm not going to change until they get this theme crap worked out... What a mess...If you're using an Athlon XP, you can get the 08-16 optimized build here: http://www.copperdog.org/firebird/builds/Otherwise, you can get all sorts of Optimized builds here (SSE -G7 is for AthlonXP, SSE2 is P4, G7 would be for the rest of the Athlon/Durons, and G6 is PII/PIII) http://pryan.org/firebird/aebrahim/

i see what you mean about theme mess. i am trying out the G7 optimized 09-03 build. default Qute theme works, but when i load up about 8 or 9 new themes, and try switching between them, half dont work (i click OK and nothing happens), and if i change the theme, the default theme cannot be re-selected just like other non-functioning themes.lucky for me my favorite main theme is not affected by this major bug (i use phoenity xmas). other ones that work like a charm are the sky pilot theme, phase 0.4 theme, phoenity modern and phoneity neo, in case anyone wants to try newest build but are scared they'll lose their favorite theme. so if you use one of the ones i just listed, try one of the newest builds. i'm gonna keep the 0903 build or newer and i'll post once the default theme works again. i dont want to go to the milestone, coz i really like the new feature in newer builds to "Send Page" straight from Firebird to Thunderbird email. makes it great at forwarding noteworthy sites i find at work to my home email for future bookmarking. :unsure:

In another thread, I started asking why I can't get Firebird to work on 2 out of 3 computers. Now I'm thinking, maybe it is the chip. My 2K uses a celeron, ME uses an Athlon4 and 98 uses Pentium II. Maybe I need to use different builds based on the CPU. I'm going to try another build and see if it works. (Currently I've tried .6.1 and .6)

The main official builds are designed to work with any processor... The builds I linked to are "unofficial" optimized builds that may show a performance increase based on the processor... I'm still not sure why you're having the problems you do, zlim. It just doesn't make sense as to why it doesn't work.

That is so odd zlim. I have Firebird stable build 0.6.1 installed on 5 different machines without a hitch. 1. P3 running Mandrake2. P3 running 98se3. P4 running 20004. P4 running XP5. Athlon XP running XPI just can't see where a chip can cause problems with a browser. If there is a problem with a chip it would be effecting your entire PC. I am guessing here, but is the PC that you have Firebird installed on with no problems the 2000 PC? Anything can happen with Windows ME. I refuse to even try to solve problems with that OS......and I build and fix PC's for a living. My ONLY advise for people who have ME is get another OS.98se....Great OS, if you keep it clean. Once the registry and .dll's get out of whack it is easier and less time consuming to format and reinstall than to constantly keep trouble shooting it. System File Checker can help solve some issues. Run it and see if it finds any files that other programs have deleted or altered.

I am guessing here, but is the PC that you have Firebird installed on with no problems the 2000 PC?
It would seem logical but NO, LOL. It works on ME and not the others.Maybe I'm missing a plugin/file I need but as I mentioned, kmeleon (7.01) runs fine on all of them. Isn't kmeleon a stripped down Mozilla? Why does it run and not firebird? Computers can sure be maddening and are very rarely logical in the way software works or doesn't work.I want it to work on 2K because that's the one I use the most.

true, the 0.6 or 0.6.1 milestone aren't CPU-dependent, but i did load a G7 SSE (for Athlon XP) Firebird build on my standard Athlon, and weird stuff started happening, like when i click on downloadable links, i dont get a "SAVE TO..." option, it tries to open the .EXE automatically. re-storing a G7 Athlon build fixed this.and now with a 20030830 G7 Build, i just got 6 crashes, everytime i tried going into my banking website. once right after i click PROCESS BILL, so then i had to call my friggin' bank to see if it went thru or not. grrrr. i ended up having to launch MS INTERNET EXPLORER to complete the bill payment. my 0903 build at work hasnt crashed yet, but its a different CPU and OS and build, so i dont want to compared apples to oranges, but i just want to say i NEVER EVER EVER had a single browser crash in Mozilla 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5, and in 'testing' Firebird 0.6+ builds, i got over a dozen full crashes and numerous weird bugs. on the other hand, thunderbird has been perfect from 0.1 onwards, every new build being an IMPROVEMENT, not a regression like Firbird seems to specialize in.i understand its probably best to stick to mozilla 1.5 or 0.6.1 firebird milestone, but i get the impression that their development is working backwards, adding more and more BUGS into the releases. this browser has so much potential but the more i use it, the more i'm tempted to go back to Mozilla 1.5 (but keep Thunderbird for emailing) and wait until they get their development act together.