Blaster worm author caught!

nlinecomputers

The 18-year-old, whose name and hometown was not immediately available, was accused of writing one version of the damaging "Blaster" infection, which spread quickly across the Internet
So he is not solely author, but author of one version.As we know there is couple of different versions of the same Blaster infection.
A witness reportedly saw the teen testing the infection and called authorities, the official said.
Just a testing infection is not big deal.I was testing virus couple of times on my own computer just for fun.I wanted to know how it does what it does, etc..I was younger at that time ;) We'll see at 4:30.

QUOTE  A witness reportedly saw the teen testing the infection and called authorities, the official said. Just a testing infection is not big deal.I was testing virus couple of times on my own computer just for fun.I wanted to know how it does what it does, etc..I was younger at that time 
Exactly. Just because he was testing it doesn't really mean anything. This story also caught my eye this morning. It will be interesting to see how it turns out :D

Minn. Teen Arrested in Web Worm Attack Aug 29, 11:38 AM (ET)By TED BRIDIS WASHINGTON (AP) - U.S. cyber investigators arrested a Minnesota teenager Friday on charges of unleashing a damaging virus-like infection weeks ago on the Internet, officials said.A court official in Minnesota identified the teenager as Jeffrey Lee Parson, 18,of Hopkins, known online as "teekid." A U.S. official in Washington also confirmed an arrest was made early Friday.Parson was to make his initial court appearance at 2 p.m. CDT Friday in St. Paul, Minn.According to the complaint, FBI and Secret Service agents searched Parson's home on Tuesday and seized seven computers. It also said he admitted FBI Special Agent Eric Smithmier that he modified the Blaster worm and created a variant known by a variety of different names.Further details were expected to be disclosed later by the FBI and U.S. attorney's office in Seattle, which has been leading the investigation.Collectively, different versions of the virus-like worm, alternately called "LovSan" or "Blaster," snarled corporate networks worldwide, forcing Maryland's motor vehicle agency to close for one day. The infection inundated networks and frustrated home users.Symantec Corp. (SYMC), a leading antivirus vendor, said the worm and its variants infected more than 500,000 computers worldwide. Experts consider it one of the worst outbreaks this year.The "Blaster.B" version of the infection, which began spreading Aug. 13, was remarkably similar to the original Blaster worm that first struck two days earlier; experts said the author made few changes, renaming the infecting-file from "msblast" to an anatomical reference.All the Blaster virus variants took advantage of a flaw in Microsoft Corp. (MSFT)'s flagship Windows software. Government and industry experts had anticipated such an outbreak since July 16, when Microsoft acknowledged the software problem, which affects Windows technology used to share data files across computer networks.The infection was quickly dubbed "LovSan" because of a love note left behind on vulnerable computers: "I just want to say LOVE YOU SAN!" Researchers also discovered another message hidden inside the infection that appeared to taunt Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates: "billy gates why do you make this possible? Stop making money and fix your software!"Infected computers were programmed to automatically launch an attack on a Web site operated by Microsoft, which the software maker easily blunted. The site, windowsupdate.com, is used to deliver repairing software patches to Microsoft customers to protect against these types of infections.

the 18 year old kid was 320lbs and had 7 computers in his housewoah, maybe he should've gone outside more often and lived a little more. i guess he wont care being in jail as long as he has access to 7 or more computers. :D

the 18 year old kid was 320lbs and had 7 computers in his housewoah, maybe he should've gone outside more often and lived a little more.  i guess he wont care being in jail as long as he has access to 7 or more computers.  :D
He'll certainly lose that weight! :D I hear the food isn't that good in prison and you don't get seconds...

:D I've got more than seven computers in my house (I don't weigh so much though) and I don't write virus or create worms. That person is not a programmer, he's just another script kiddie.

Joy - that is funny. I can't imagine someone with a bird as an avatar weighing near 320 pounds. It just doesn't fit. Let's not go counting computers (or parts). :D :D I don't have seven though. My family would give me fits - I just keep passing them on to someone in need so I just have one for each person plus a spare (and of course the boxes of parts) plus my class with computers. Definitely not a programmer. I like the script kiddie! That seems to fit.

Let's not go counting computers (or parts).  I don't have seven though. My family would give me fits - I just keep passing them on to someone in need so I just have one for each person plus a spare (and of course the boxes of parts) plus my class with computers. Definitely not a programmer. I like the script kiddie! That seems to fit.
Hey, i'd love to have 7 computers. I'd love a hand-me-down next time your giving them out! ;)I only have 2 here. One 2 GHz and 1 200 MHz (with no internet connection) lol. I guess that barely counts :D

Let's not go counting computers (or parts).  I don't have seven though. My family would give me fits - I just keep passing them on to someone in need so I just have one for each person plus a spare (and of course the boxes of parts) plus my class with computers. Definitely not a programmer. I like the script kiddie! That seems to fit.
Hey, i'd love to have 7 computers. I'd love a hand-me-down next time your giving them out! ;)I only have 2 here. One 2 GHz and 1 200 MHz (with no internet connection) lol. I guess that barely counts <_<
Hey, I only have an 866 mhz [sniff]

<_< Sorry, even if I was giving them away the shipping from Australia to the US would cost more than a new computer. Anyway I can't bear to part with any of them, not even the 486s and certainly not my C64s.

I used to have 4 in my office at home. Never realized how loud they all were until friends would come over to visit and compalin on how loud it was. I had grown used to all the noise. Now down to only two in the office. 6 machines live in the garage now. There they can make all the noise they like.It started with a 24 port dual speed Netgear switch. All those empty ports... and before long the house was full of computers. Network Neighborhood currently shows 11 machines...

I used to have 4 in my office at home. Never realized how loud they all were until friends would come over to visit and compalin on how loud it was. I had grown used to all the noise.
Funny how we just get used to things like that. I'm the same way. There are 9 computers in one office at work (not all mine), and 7 computers with 1 PS2 and 1 X-Box at the local internet cafe where i sometimes work <_<. When i first walk in the morning to open up, when it is all quite, i notice it, but once i get in there, and sit down, you get used to it. Then, of course, having the radio on also helps :ph34r:

Beginning Nov. 1, the consequences will be harsher; the U.S. Sentencing Commission has written tough new punishments for certain types of computer crimes. A virus sender who intends to cause death — by tying up 911 emergency telephone lines, for example — could face a life sentence.
Nice little article on YahooWeb Virus Writers, Senders Rarely Jailed

I used to have 4 in my office at home. Never realized how loud they all were until friends would come over to visit and compalin on how loud it was. I had grown used to all the noise. Now down to only two in the office. 6 machines live in the garage now. There they can make all the noise they like.It started with a 24 port dual speed Netgear switch. All those empty ports... and before long the house was full of computers. Network Neighborhood currently shows 11 machines...
I love your logic...can I borrow it?..can't have a lonely empty port...I wonder if the wife will buy into that? ;) ..and they are many orphaned computers needing a good home..hmmm...it just might work

I love your logic...can I borrow it?..can't have a lonely empty port...I wonder if the wife will buy into that?  ..and they are many orphaned computers needing a good home..hmmm...it just might work
Lol. If only that would work ;) "Hunny, maybe we should talk about adoption.""ADOPTION!""Yea, i got this flyer in the mail today. The poor thing looked so sad. It could really use a new home""Awww, what was her name?""Delloris"LOL! :)

Guest ThunderRiver

FBI doesn't have any evidences that kid actually spreaded the virus variant. Hopefully that kid will get a fair trial as the stupid publicity and dumb journalists cool down about it.

Edited by ThunderRiver

I love your logic...can I borrow it?..can't have a lonely empty port...I wonder if the wife will buy into that?  ..and they are many orphaned computers needing a good home..hmmm...it just might work
Lol. If only that would work :) "Hunny, maybe we should talk about adoption.""ADOPTION!""Yea, i got this flyer in the mail today. The poor thing looked so sad. It could really use a new home""Awww, what was her name?""Delloris"LOL! :)
Maybe we could start a Non-profit organization for abused and neglected computers..do infomercials... ;) "Just pennies a day will put a neglected computer in a Safe Home" This is Dell-oris..from Cleveland..victim of a corporate upgrade... :) My apologies to real charities!

"Just pennies a day will put a neglected computer in a Safe Home" This is Dell-oris..from Cleveland..victim of a corporate upgrade...  My apologies to real charities!
LOL!
FBI doesn't have any evidences that kid actually spreaded the virus variant. Hopefully that kid will get a fair trial as the stupid publicity and dumb journalists cool down about it.
I don't know what evidence the FBI has, but i think it's safe to say that none of us are sure that he did it. We just know what he has been arrested. Your innocent untill proven guilty.

;) half-way house for neglected/abused computers........ hmmmmm could be a money making opportunity, think you maybe on to something Barry - we could go international!! :)

(ThunderRiver) It is only said that the kid was seen testing the virus, and where did you guys get the information about how much he weighs or how many computers he has anyway?FBI doesn't have any evidences that kid actually spreaded the virus variant. Hopefully that kid will get a fair trial as the stupid publicity and dumb journalists cool down about it.
The details of his weight and number of computers have been reported in virtually every media story. This quote below is from the story I posted in my original post in this thread. Did you read it?According to the complaint, FBI and Secret Service agents searched Parson's home on Tuesday and seized seven computers. It also said he admitted FBI Special Agent Eric Smithmier that he modified the Blaster worm and created a variant known by a variety of different names.You can "play" with viruses all you want, so long as you contain them on your own machines. But if one gets loose and you are the source, then you are responsible and should be proscecuted to the fullest extent of the law.This kid faces 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

I don't know what evidence the FBI has, but i think it's safe to say that none of us are sure that he did it. We just know what he has been arrested. Your innocent untill proven guilty.
Well, I for one am confident that he did what he is being charged with. The evidence quoted, including his own admission of guilt, should be suffcient for any reasonable person.Read http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...30/MN268020.DTL.Excerpt:He faces one charge of knowingly causing more than $5,000 in damage with an Internet worm. If convicted, Parson faces up to 10 years in federal prison and a fine of up to $250,000. Parson is not accused of writing the original worm, which antivirus experts say caused most of the trouble, but of copying it and adding an extra function. While the various strains of Blaster infected up to a million computers, according to the complaint, the version Parson is alleged to have unleashed infected "at least 7,000." In fact, Parson appears to be anything but a criminal mastermind, and authorities are still looking for the person who did write the original, according to U.S. Attorney John McKay. The high school student left an obvious digital trail for authorities to follow. He renamed the Blaster worm after his own online nickname, "teekid." He also modified the program so it would send infected computers to his own Web site, www.t33kid.com, registered to his real name. Hackers -- and those who fancy themselves as such -- often replace the letter "e" with the number "3" in writing. Still, the team of investigators took more than two weeks to arrest him. Antivirus companies first warned of the virus' new version Aug. 13. During the next few days, federal agents based in Seattle contacted the owner of the Web site's address, San Diego's California Regional Internet. That company led the authorities to a middleman who leased the address, and eventually to Brian Davis, a Watauga, Texas, businessman who hosted Parson's site. Davis knew the site's host as "teekid" from online chats; according to the complaint, Davis told agents that teekid had written viruses before and launched other Internet attacks. The feds seized the computer hosting Parson's site; the site also included source code for several other worms. McKay said Parson hasn't been charged so far with creating any of the other worms that were found on his Web site. But to find teekid's real name and address, all the authorities had to do was look up his Web site address in an online directory, which they did Aug. 18. The next day, agents seized seven computers from the home where Parson lives with his parents, Robert and Rita Parson. According to the complaint, Parson confessed to modifying Blaster and re-releasing it.

ibeThanks for the additional info..I know this didn't hit my company to bad...but I knw a few that got smacked pretty hard..also know of 2 IT managers looking for new jobs.

Stupid kid.Some grown up eng who created original worm is smiling right now.He is probably protected by daizy chained anonymous proxies and releasing it on IRC.Maybe it will serve as an example to all the script kiddies out there.