have to login several times in the same session

vonbiber

I had at various times noticed that when I wanted to reply or post a new messageI'd get the dreaded the 'you're not allowed ...' despite the fact that I had logged in.Today I did the following operations (and I paid more attention to the details on each page.)1. I logged in successfully, then been redirected at the top it says 'Logged in as: vonbiber'2. I clicked on a link ('all linux') and dang in the new page, it says 'Welcome guest'3. I relogged in I clicked on the Main section to post this message, clicked on 'new topic' and, once more, I had to login again

Hi vonbiberThis is a cookie issue: Looks like you have your browser set to not accept cookies from the forum . . . ( or delete them each time ):) Bruno

Guest LilBambi

Yep. Good call Bruno! :thumbup:Only other thought would be corrupted cookie. In which case you need to delete the cookie for the forum and then let it set it again.On the main page of the forum near the bottom right (right above the Board Statistics), there is a link to remove the forum cookies.

V.T. Eric Layton

Invision Power Boards do display a bugaboo occasionally where a user will have to re-login after leaving the site. I experience this here and at the ePrompter Users Support Forum (same version of board software used for both places) about once or twice a week sometimes. I've just learned to live with it. However, that being said, for this to happen numerous times in one day would probably be the browser/cookie issue that Bruno mentions.

Yep. Good call Bruno! :thumbup:Only other thought would be corrupted cookie. In which case you need to delete the cookie for the forum and then let it set it again.On the main page of the forum near the bottom right (right above the Board Statistics), there is a link to remove the forum cookies.
ok, I just removed the cookie from the link you mentionned and I relogged in@brunono, I didn't set my browser (opera) to unaccept cookies from this siteand, in re to the last post, I didn't even leave the site or wait more than a few minutes beforetrying to go to a new page after I logged in

okI stayed logged in and at the Main page, then came back a couple of hours laterrefreshed the pagethe effect was I was logged outso my question is what's the lifespan of the cookie (1hour, less?)

Guest LilBambi

Nope. Maybe check how you are handling cookies in your browser? If you have it removing cookies upon closing of the browser, that might affect it. And you might want to try checking 'Remember me' when logging in. Do you allow your browser to remember passwords?

Nope. Maybe check how you are handling cookies in your browser? If you have it removing cookies upon closing of the browser, that might affect it. And you might want to try checking 'Remember me' when logging in. Do you allow your browser to remember passwords?
there, it goes again. I tried to reply to that post (I was logged in) and I had tolog in one more timeAnswer to 1st question: no, I don't remove cookies when I close my browser (opera) 2nd question: yes, I allow my browser to remember passwords. On all the other forums when I click on the link, I'm automatically logged in (slax forum, linuxquestions) but that's not the issue here but rather 'how come in the same session in a matter of a few minutes the login is not remembered?'

Guest LilBambi

No clue actually. I can't replicate the problem so it makes it hard to decide what's happening.There are other users here that use Opera. I am sure they would have said something if this was happening to them.I wonder if Eric or other that are using Slackware would have any idea why this might be happening? I will PM him and ask him if he can replicate it in Slackware and Opera here on the forums.

I tested it in Slackware + Opera and have no problems.You probably have a corrupt cookie . . . best is ( in Opera ) Tools --> prefernces --> advanced --> cookies --> manage cookies and remove all cookies by both forum.scotsnewsletter.com AND scotsnewsletter.comB) Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

It wouldn't be a operating system issue. It's going to be a browser issue for sure. I don't have Opera on my system currently to test, though. :thumbsup: I would follow Bruno's advice above for starters. How annoying! Sorry vonbiber. I feel partly responsible since I invited you here. ;)

Bruno, EricI thought I'd try to use firefox for this site. So I logged in, read your posts and when I tried to replyI got a page withThe error returned was:Sorry, you do not have permission to reply to that topicSo I logged in one more timeand that's the first time I went to this url with firefoxlooks like this forum is written in phphow is the session info stored (cookies, MySQL?)ps I had to log in a second time to post this

This is weird . . . . because we did see this problem before with a few of our members, but each and every time the problem was solved and did not resurface, by deleting old cookies and logging in again ( with the box "remember me" ticked ):P Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

This may be something that needs to be researched with Invision Power Board support. :P

This has been happening to me for several weeks (Windows XP/SP2, Firefox 2).I allow Firefox to accept all cookies but this site still fails to recognize me.It happens to me between sessions on the same day. If I can verify it happening during the same session I'll update this.It's very annoying because I link to the "View New Posts" link. When it fails I get a 403 error and have to sign in and navigate my way back to the "View New Posts" link.

and I'm not mentionning when sometimes I haveto use a computer in a public place that has only ms+Internet Explorerand of course it happens all the time

and I'm not mentionning when sometimes I haveto use a computer in a public place that has only ms+Internet Explorerand of course it happens all the time
I indeed found 5 different IP addresses on your account . . . but that should not cause the fact that you have to keep logging in between 2 posts.:( Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

Carry a thumb drive w/ SLAX on it on your keychain, vonbiber. If the system has a USB port, you can run SLAX in RAM (FAST!) and not have to deal with Windows. :thumbsdown:

Carry a thumb drive w/ SLAX on it on your keychain, vonbiber. If the system has a USB port, you can run SLAX in RAM (FAST!) and not have to deal with Windows. :thumbsup:
I can't do thatIt's a public library computer working as a client to a central serverBesides, on some of them you can't even use the usb port

I indeed found 5 different IP addresses on your account . . . but that should not cause the fact that you have to keep logging in between 2 posts.:thumbsup: Bruno
Bruno,I don't have a fixed IP addressEverytime I connect to the network I use dhcpcd to get one (I use a wireless connectionand connect to free hotspots, such as public libraries, etc.)

Guest LilBambi

That could be your issue then. Sometimes when you use different computers to log in, it gets interesting.I always try to remember to logout when I use another computer even locally before going to another computer because forums can get confused by you being logged in multiple times from multiple IPs. Don't forget we are on a more secure server now than we used to be. So it might throw up a red flag to have someone logged in (remembering login) from multiple IP addresses.

V.T. Eric Layton

Because login persistence is controlled by a cookie, logging in from different computers (regardless of IP) will result in you having to re-login because the original login cookie is on the previous computer that you used to login. Persistence of login on phpBB or IPV type boards does not carry over to other systems. The persistence it persistent only on the original system. IP addresses have no bearing on login persistence. I have a dynamic IP, as do most folks on DSL. I can reboot and come back on here with a totally different IP, yet still be logged in as long as I'm using the same browser and the cookie hasn't been deleted.

Guest LilBambi

Thanks for clarifying what I meant Eric. And you are right. (That's what I get for being in a rush). I should have said it differently so as not to confuse (and specifically not mentioned IP address).You are right, it's browser/cookie related and of course by extension if you are on another computer, at another location using a different browser and/or computer, the persistent cookie would not be there.BTW: Most libraries wipe their systems every night and start with a fresh 'image' loaded over the network each morning to prevent malware from getting a foothold. So if you use a library computer, the cookie wouldn't be the same no matter which computer or browser you use at the library.

Because login persistence is controlled by a cookie, logging in from different computers (regardless of IP) will result in you having to re-login because the original login cookie is on the previous computer that you used to login. Persistence of login on phpBB or IPV type boards does not carry over to other systems. The persistence it persistent only on the original system. IP addresses have no bearing on login persistence. I have a dynamic IP, as do most folks on DSL. I can reboot and come back on here with a totally different IP, yet still be logged in as long as I'm using the same browser and the cookie hasn't been deleted.
if this is true, Eric, then that's oddthe way cookies work usually they got stored in the clientso normally next time I log in from my laptop the cookies present either on one of the$HOME/.opera or $HOME/.firefox (or $HOME/.mozilla/firefox or whatever firefoxuses) subfolderand that's the cookie that's should be usedand that's the way it works with all the other forums I go to (I don't even to login whenI go to the slax, linux questions forums when I use my laptop, but I do have to loginwhen I use a different computer)Besides that doesn't explain why when I'm already logged in and I'm typing somethingfor a post I have to relogin (that's why I'm gonna CTRL+A CTRL+C thsi thing before I hit the'Add Reply' button)

Actually I was able to post the previous message and I'm still logged in.But once a while that does happen (being logged out)

go figureI've been logged in for about 1 hour now and stayed that way the whole timeI'll see what happens next time I turn on the machine

Guest LilBambi

As noted earlier, sometimes cookies can get corrupted. That could have been what happened. Hard to say.I think everyone has had times when they take time to post and end up timing out on logins particularly if you tell the browser to remember your login, but maybe don't allow the forum itself to remember you.It is always a good idea to copy as you noted a post, particularly one you don't want to have to redo before posting. I do that in all forums....just in case. :)

Hi Vonbiber . . . Glad the issue seems to be resolved :hysterical: . . . . . . keep us posted if the problems pop up again.:"> Bruno