[Win7 RC SW] FW AV etc. A Scott's Best Product List Yet?

Ugly

Hello, Ugly here. -- Installing RC of Win7 soon on new HW.I'm looking for Win7-compatible FW (Windows FW is not very good, I hear), Anti-Virus, etc. for securing a Windows PC please.Any good examples or reviews, even a Scott-review or Best Product for Win7 out there please?Thank you, Ugly B)

Hello,A list of Microsoft Windows 7-compatible security programs can be found here on Microsoft's site. A number of other software companies have Windows 7-compatible versions under development, so be sure to check with your preferred developer if they are not listed on that page.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

Hello,A list of Microsoft Windows 7-compatible security programs can be found here on Microsoft's site. A number of other software companies have Windows 7-compatible versions under development, so be sure to check with your preferred developer if they are not listed on that page.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky
Aryeh,I'm somewhat surprised to see that Eset is not listed. Can you give us any clue or hint on when a Win7 compatible product will be released?

Well, I did as you recommend and visited the Comodo site, as but one example.Yet I learned NOTHING! :thumbsup: -- Other vendors have much better sites. :)You may visit to see for yourself.So I wrote this message. We'll see if they can be bothered to reply.

"Hello,A simple question really. The websites
and
and
all do not display for a customer considering purchase of Internet Security Pro what operating system it is designed for. If I have somehow missed this, I am sorry yet please help anyway.Is there is a link to this, a spec-sheet, or something similar, and may I request it by this message, please? Is it XP, Vista, or Win7?I'm wanting to secure a Win7 PC eventually, but have both XP and Vista now.I've got the RC for Win7 too but refuse to surf nekid! Thank you. Steven"

Thank you for the MS link, Mr. Goretsky.I actually learned more there than at some of the vendors own websites!

I am using ESET Smart Security Version 4.0.424.0 on Windows 7 RC, 64 Bit. It is working wonderfully. The only thing I ran into was, for some reason when I upgraded, other computers on my home network weren't seen. I changed the firewall to learning mode, ESET firewall automatically created a rule and I changed the firewall back to Automatic mode with exceptions (user-defined rules).

Guest LilBambi

I assume Windows 7 Firewall is more like Vista's firewall and built-in Windows Defender for realtime antimalware Unlike the more lame Windows Firewall in Windows XP.With a hardware firewall/NAT router that should be enough unless you prefer the feedback of a third party firewall in which case I really like the ESET one on the pay-to-play side of things best.If you just need feedback, even ZoneAlarm Free might be adequate for your needs Ugly if it is compatible yet. Anyone know for sure?

If you're using NOD32 V4 and Vista 32bit or 64bit, be aware of a possible issue with Vista Service pack 2 (which should be available this week). Eset is recommending that you download and install V3 to sidestep this issue until they have developed a fix. You can find a FAQ about the issue here. I'm using V3, so I should be good to go after I hear from WindowsSecrets that there are no other issues with Vista service pack 2. :) If the admins think this should be in a new thread, please make it so.

Edited by mac

Hello,Actually, it looks like they updated that article. It now contains information about a patch they are testing and how to obtain a copy.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

If you're using NOD32 V4 and Vista 32bit or 64bit, be aware of a possible issue with Vista Service pack 2 (which should be available this week). Eset is recommending that you download and install V3 to sidestep this issue until they have developed a fix. You can find a FAQ about the issue here. I'm using V3, so I should be good to go after I hear from WindowsSecrets that there are no other issues with Vista service pack 2. :lol: If the admins think this should be in a new thread, please make it so.

Hi Aryeh, thanks for the update! My subscriptions for NOD32 A/V will expire next month, so I'll likely download and install V4 on both PCs when I renew. :thumbsup:

Edited by mac

Frankly, there is no one company or single product that appears to do all things well.There is a FW champ, an AV leader, and so on. Hence, this thread. Thanks & continue please.

Frankly, there is no one company or single product that appears to do all things well.There is a FW champ, an AV leader, and so on. Hence, this thread. Thanks & continue please.
Hi Ugly, I think that many of us on the forum, myself included, subscribe to the old saw "Don't put all your eggs in one basket". I don't use a FW because my PC's sit behind a router and I practice "safe browsing", as does my wife, however, when I built new PC's for my (adult in age) children and installed XP, I allowed XP to turn on the built-in firewall. I use a combination of free and paid for anti-malware programs which were chosen because of good reviews here at SNF and other forums I frequent. I run NOD32 V3 A/V, ThreatFire, SpywareBlaster, and Secunia PSI at boot-up. Once a week I run a-squared free, and go to a couple of different on-line malware scanning sites and have them scan my PC's. The only hits that any of these scans produce are cookies, which I ignore.YMMV

Hello,It looks like ESET has released the patch they were testing, according to this message on their web site.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky