10 Free Linux Ebooks For Beginners

securitybreach

securitybreach
Last time we did a free book collection 2 years ago it was a hit among Linux users and rightfully so, who doesn’t like free books? No matter how experienced you are with Linux systems, there is always something new you can learn from a good book that focuses on specific aspects of a Linux system. While our old list was an ‘OK’ list, it wasn’t structured properly and most of the links are broken by now. This time we tried to make a list of free books by categories. “Beginners”, “Advanced” and “Administrators”. This is the first part of the series, in the near future we will have a list for “Intermediate and Advanced Linux Users” and “Linux System Administrators”
http://www.linuxhaxor.net/2009/05/10/10-fr...-for-beginners/Thanks

Free books is always good . . . and 10 of them is even better ;)I see "Rute" is in there too, I can recommend that one: it's the absolute best !:) Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

Outstanding! I downloaded .pdf versions of the revised Slackware Linux Essentials and the VIM book. Thanks, SB! :)

securitybreach

No problem. I am waiting on the next two installments myself:

This is the first part of the series, in the near future we will have a list for "Intermediate and Advanced Linux Users" and "Linux System Administrators"
Thanks Edited by securitybreach

Really nice find SB. :) Read a few of them in my early days in linux. Never read rute though the contents seemed a little bit above my level.

V.T. Eric Layton

I actually have a hard copy of Rute - User's Tutorial and Exposition. It is above my head... some of it, anyway. When I first got the book (at Bruno's suggestion), it was ALL above me. I guess I've made some progress in three years. :)

I actually have a hard copy of Rute - User's Tutorial and Exposition. It is above my head... some of it, anyway. When I first got the book (at Bruno's suggestion), it was ALL above me. I guess I've made some progress in three years. :thumbsup:
To be honest did more reading in the early days however google has spoiled me any problems a quick trip to my fav searchengine usually points me in the right direction.

I actually have a hard copy of Rute - User's Tutorial and Exposition. It is above my head... some of it, anyway. When I first got the book (at Bruno's suggestion), it was ALL above me. I guess I've made some progress in three years. :thumbsup:
I've got a hard copy of Rute too and I love it. Most of it is waaaaaay above my head but I've learned quite a bit of the easier stuff.

Cluttermagnet

A great list- thanks!From easiest_linux_guide_ever:

after you have installed it, you sit there, staring blankly atyour new desktop wondering what in the world to do next. You may feel somewhatlost. You have heard how wonderful Linux is, but don't know why, or how to makeit perform all the impressive tricks.
Staring blankly... Yep. Boy, do I remember that! I'm a slow study. But after I got some good help and got going, it became a lot more fun. I really just jumped into using it (mainly Ubuntu), so my learning has been slow. I learn in 'fits and starts', then go back to 'just using it' for a while. And that is a very positive testament to those now numerous distros that are quite well done and 'just want to work' out of the box. So many people who know Windows well are missing out on a whole bunch of fun with Linux because of fear and inertia. Yet Linux is easier to install, configure, update, and use. Go figure... :thumbsup:

I'm a slow learner. My style seems to be, learn it as you need it. Basically, I surf, print, play music and redecorate the desktop in my distros. If I can do that, I'm happy. When I have a major problem, I come here and yell for help. ;) I do keep notes in a notebook (not on a computer because those would be too hard for me to grab in an emergency) so, hopefull, I do not keep asking how to solve the same problem more than once (okay twice).If I read something and have no need for it, I tend to forget it. As a result, my linux reading is based on getting out of emergencies and trying to find the correct instructions. I'm going to download some of the eBooks to a windows desktop and start reading and taking notes.

Elf Wizard

THANKS GUYS for all the great stuff!!! :devil: :whistling: :"> I suppose, now it's time for reading, learning and practising, once again.