BSOD

Big Jeff

I just got my first BSOD after having run Win XP Home relatively trouble free for nearly 2 years. It occured while running the Defrag utility; it was about 30% finished. All apps and unnecessary processes including AV and firewall were closed before I started.I jotted down this info from the BSOD:STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000034, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF84A18F0)IdeChnDr.sys -Address F84A18F0Base at F849C000Date Stamp 3d99eac3Does anyone have any ideas?TIA,--Jeff

The IRQ_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL_TO usually occurs from a bad driver that has been installed on the computer. This usually results in a memory dump as the driver makes a bad call to system memory and dumps the system. There are a couple of ways that this can be fixed. The first is to boot into safe mode and look for bad drivers. Go to start / control panel / switch to classic view / system / hardware tab / device manager and look for devices that are appearing as yellow exclamations or question marks. The usual culprit for these kinds of issues are either Video or new devices that have since been attached (printers, palms, etc). Reseat the ram (sometimes the memory violations occur because the system memory is not seated correctly). Another thing to try is to use just one simm at a time and test them to see if one of them is defective (the memory can write but can not be read). Windows likes the ram to be able to do both...

IRQ_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL_TOD***, i got this error message more times than i can count. usually shortly after first boot after fresh installation, but once all drivers are updated, it goes away, so i'd lay the blame on drivers. escpecially if you have a VIA-based motherboard, make sure to get latest VIA Hyperion 4-in-1 Drivers.as was suggested, was there any recent changes you did to your system? how about any recent power outages that hit while your computer was on? or recent lightning storms? could be bad ram. got this error once all of sudden randomly and repeatedly until i got my memory tested and one of my ram chips was deffective.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've had the same problem. IDEChnDr.sys is the Intel application accelerator driver for your IDE ata controllers. The application accelerator is a driver optimized for select intel chipsets. According to intel, it speeds up disk to processor transfer rates by eliminating the "bottleneck" caused by the default windows drivers. Supposedly this decreses your boot time by up to 60% and as a byproduct speeds up just about everything (increased page file reading & increased hard disk reading speed.)However when i try defragmenting or running my virus scanner i get the same problems, regardless of the driver version. And it appears that intel is no longer supporting these drivers as there hasn't been an update since 2002, so i suspect that there are compatability problems between windows service pack 2 and these intel drivers. Running chkdsk /f seems to temporarily restore functionality. One theory is that there might be problems with physically moving this driver around on your harddisk so if you are using a 3rd party disk defragmenter such as perfectdisk or diskkeeper you might try locking it or eliminating it from the defrag.The only sure-fire way to solve this problem however is to simply uninstall the driver and revert to the default windows drivers. I dont know what kind of an impact this has on performance but if you dont notice anything than go for it.