Computerworld News

alphaomega

I can not get the links in the Computerworld News to work anymore.I get: "The page you requested cannot be found."Anyone else seeing this?

I can not get the links in the Computerworld News to work anymore.I get: "The page you requested cannot be found."Anyone else seeing this?
Yes. It's happening to me also.

If you look at the Computerworld News subforum, the newest post is from April 23rd. If you go to the site, there are articles listed showing an April 28th date like this one about a new Adobe Reader zero-day vulnerability B) . Must be something wrong with the link between SNF and Computerworld to get new articles.

• 2 weeks later...

This problem should be fixed, and it appears to have been caused by two things: Computerworld reformatted its feed -- an improvement. The tools that control feed importation into Invision Power Board are touchy. RSS to the board has never been great. It's because of the board software that this becomes a two-click experience to open the story. That's not my design or preference. Bottom line, the feed change by CW apparently choked the board's RSS facility. I tried clearing it when it happened and that didn't work. Meanwhile, the same feed has been working fine all along at my WordPress blog. So I knew it wasn't CW's feed. Last night, I switched to a less correct feed URL and reset the feed and it starting working. I'd ask that you keep watch and let me know if anything goes wrong. I suspect I should probably revert to the original feed URL now that it's cleared. But wanted to get the feature working and see what happened. Use email to notify me please.-- ScotP.S. Gary, why do all your comments sound angry? Tone it down, please.

V.T. Eric Layton

Excellent! Already read two good articles there today. Thanks, Scot! ;)

This problem should be fixed, and it appears to have been caused by two things: Computerworld reformatted its feed -- an improvement. The tools that control feed importation into Invision Power Board are touchy. RSS to the board has never been great. It's because of the board software that this becomes a two-click experience to open the story. That's not my design or preference. Bottom line, the feed change by CW apparently choked the board's RSS facility. I tried clearing it when it happened and that didn't work. Meanwhile, the same feed has been working fine all along at my WordPress blog. So I knew it wasn't CW's feed. Last night, I switched to a less correct feed URL and reset the feed and it starting working. I'd ask that you keep watch and let me know if anything goes wrong. I suspect I should probably revert to the original feed URL now that it's cleared. But wanted to get the feature working and see what happened. Use email to notify me please.-- ScotP.S. Gary, why do all your comments sound angry? Tone it down, please.
IMHO the section should be removed.
The above sounds angry? I guess we are not permitted to have opinions here anymore. Would you care to explain how the phrase" In My Honest Opinion the section should be removed" is angry?To answer your your question, no I will not turn it down as there is no anger in it. Scott, maybe you should tone it down and maybe you would have more than 3 or 4 members posting here at any one time. I meant what I said when I offered the opinion and I still mean it. If I wanted to read Computerworld I would go to that site and read it. Fact is I don't care to, never did, never will. Unbelievable!

Gary,The Computerworld news thing hurts no one. It's there as nothing more than a handy thing for the people who choose to use it. I could have used some other news feed, but since I personally manage the news team that creates CW News, it seemed like the logical feed to select. It doesn't help me personally or Computerworld in any way whatsoever. The forum has been around for about six years now, and we've only had the feed for a few months. So insisting that it "be removed" simply because it was broken seems a little compulsive to me. It's not a mission critical part of the forums. Heck, the forums was down for several months not all that long ago. This is a free service. Think of it as "beta" if you want. If something goes wrong all I can do is get to it when I get to it. But sooner or later I always get to it, don't I?Your expectation of the service level here is out of whack. And that's what I mean about your post sounding angry. In a commercial enterprise you expect that kind of level of service and demand from users. Not in a free forums. In case you've missed this point, SNF is a labor of love. I don't get anything out of it. It about breaks even on the Google Ads. That's it. It's here because I figured out a way to make it self supporting. But all the people involved in making it go -- including me -- donate their time.So, PLEASE, cool your jets about expectations of what I'm going to turn on, turn off, adjust, fix. I have limited time. I'm doing the best I can.-- Scot