Seen any good DVD movies recently?

ibe98765

Movies I've seen and enjoyed recently (in no particular order). Any other suggestions for good movies?1. Bowling for Columbine A powerful movie. Sure to upset 2nd Amendement proponents. Make sure to watch the extra features.Reference: http://www.bowlingforcolumbine.com/2. Frida About the lives and relationships of famed artists Frida Kahlo and Diego RiveraA reference: http://members.aol.com/fridanet/fridabio.htm3. AmelieA charming "foreign" movie, thoroughly enjoyable. In French w/English subtitlesReference: http://video.movies.go.com/amelie/sto_index.html4. Rabbit Proof FenceA moving story about a past period in Australian history and the treatment of the Aboriginal peoples. Watch the Director's interview on how they chose the child actors.Reference: http://www.rabbitprooffence.com.au/NoIntroMain.html5. The BankA watchable thriller with the theme of what goes around, comes around...Reference: http://www.cinemaguild.com/thebank/mainMovieFrame.html6. The BelieverA very powerful true story of a Jewish neofascistReference: http://www.thebelieverdvd.com/movie.html7. PhoneboothFascinating how you can hold attention for 90 minutes centered around a phonebooth8. 25th HourEdward Norton is great in this story of the last free day in a convicted drug dealers life. Spike Lee directed.9. The PianistMoving and very well acted story about the survival of a Polish Jew's throughout World War IIReference: http://www.thepianistmovie.com/10. Standing in the Shadows of MotownWho was really behind many of Motown's biggest hits?Reference: http://www.standingintheshadowsofmotown.com/

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ibe98765

• Prelude76

• Jeber

• littlebone

Guest genaldar

Bowling for comlumbine was great, I haven't seen any of the others yet. There all on my short list of rentals though. Except for the pianist. I won't see that for the same reason I won't listen to 50 cent, I hold a grudge for past crimes. At least if time isn't served for those crimes.

Bowling for comlumbine was great, I haven't seen any of the others yet.  There all on my short list of rentals though.  Except for the pianist.  I won't see that for the same reason I won't listen to 50 cent, I hold a grudge for past crimes.  At least if time isn't served for those crimes.
Well, you'll miss a good movie then....

7. PhoneboothFascinating how you can hold attention for 90 minutes centered around a phonebooth
It was alright, no desire to ever watch it again
1. Bowling for ColumbineA powerful movie. Sure to upset 2nd Amendement proponents. Make sure to watch the extra features.
I have not seen all of that one yet - seen part of the first half. .oO(Different)

Bowling for Columbine is my favorite. seen a leaked divx version around Oscar time :blink: whats on the DVD extra features?Pianist - loved it, but Schindler's list had way more plot story to it. i just saw "SPUN", a crazy wacked out movie about life of metaemphetamine junkies (speed freaks). good one time watch, but not a keeper like Trainspotting. once again, missing a plot story. many new movies seem to lack a plot, they just make it "follow the life of so-and-so". B)

Good choice of movies.Bowling is a must, Pianist is great, Phonebooth so so ( I hate Forrest Whitaker), 25th Hour great, the others haven't seen yet but I am planning to :blink:

Just for fun, I got a copy of Tron and have watched it a couple of times. Dated, but still cool.Liked Phonebooth, but as has been said, not a keeper.Watched a foreign flick called "The Closet". Wish I'd thought of that tactic at one of my former jobs. :blink: I'm usually not a movie watcher...but with some time to waste lately, I've been checking out a few I've been wanting to see."Chicago" is next.

what, nobody recommending "Bringin Down Da House?" ;) very very very few good movies these days. i saw that comedy "Just Married" and felt "Wow, just LOST 90minutes out of my life" afterwards.. i hate that feeling.

I'm usually not a movie watcher...but with some time to waste lately, I've been checking out a few I've been wanting to see."Chicago" is next.
Chicago was great. Saw it in the theater. Considering buying a copy.

This fly's motto has always been "If you can't bang your head to it >> it ain't music!"But I will pre-empt this 30-year rant to suggest Funk Brothers DVD!If you are a by-product of the 70s era, even w/o taking part of the Motown sound, this is one DVD (both the film part and the music part) that should be rented or owned! Don't forget to crank the volume when the songs are being showcased!

If you have the hours to spare, I recommend:    * Band Of Brothers    * Cowboy Bebop - The Perfect Sessions
Band of brothers ( Great movie )if you want to waste some more time Steven Speilbergs " The Perfect Storm 2" after watching the entire movie :lol: :D :lol: :D :unsure: Actually it wasn't too bad . It was on tv though , I don't watch too many dvds got the player just don't use it much .

Guest ThunderRiver

Skip this post if you don't want to know some of the endings for moviesI have seen at least 6 of the 10 movies already :-D1. "Bowling for Columbine" - what a great movie to protrait guns in America. The school shooting at Columbine high school has some degree of effects in my high school (same initials, Clements High School), and someone was busted for having two hand-made bombs inside the back seats of their car, and the whole school was searched for bomb. Well, that was a small news, but it is alarming to everyone campus wide. It is sorta true that people should not wait for policeman to come and take care of my business but then again, there should be some reasonable amount of gun control. I personally don't carry guns, and my parents don't carry guns either because we dont' believe in guns. Guns don't represent American. Guns only represent the dark side, the most ugly part of agression in American history. It is wrong, and it will always be. I live in Michigan for college, and I can feel how cold people are to each other. They take advantage of me when I treat them good... It is something that I would not see in Texas.2. "Frida" looks good.. I plan to watch it someday. Never seen it yet3. "Amelie" Oh gosh.. I love that movie !! Especially the part where she finally met the "one"... I do love the sense of humor from Amelie, and she is soo good to everyone :lol: well, not everyone :-p6. "The Believer" - the movie is hard to understand because it doesnt' have English sub-title. The main Jewish character is not truly hating his fellows Jews, instead, he was hating the way that Jews always take blames for themselves and never fight back. In the end, the bomb he planed in the ceremony went off and took his own life with the bomb. I don't know if that's educational, but I think in a way, it is meaningful sorta...7. "Phonebooth" - The movie is okay. It is about a guy having affairs and getting caught from some 3rd party (the sniper). I do think that movie has a lot to do with scare tactics, nothing more, but it is sad that the real sniper walked away free.8. "25th Hour" - nice movie, but I don't appreicate the way they show a dog getting beaten up. Edward Norton is a good guy for taking care of the dog though. I would love to see the real ending to be true. I mean it would be nice to be a refuge and get away with everything, but no..he has to sit his butt in the prison for the rest of his life. It was a little bit sick that girl (Anna Paquin) got kissed by some old professor...9. "The Pianist" - a very very touching story, and it is soo realistic that I don't recommend people to show that movie to little kids. It is not everyday you see soldiers throwing an old wheel-chaired man off 5 or 6 floors building. A very touching story though. I do think that if it wasn't the war, the couple would have gotten married (the main character and the woman that plays cello)11. "Chicago" - it is very very musical, and I love the movie much :D very good acting.12 "The Matrix Reloaded" - Yes I have the DVD, and boy I would not mind watching at the rave for 15 min. I mean yes, it is kind like time killing, but then again, there is a good reason for the rave to exist. It shows humanity and the desire to be freed from control. I do love the Matrix mythology... 13 "Terminator III" - if you haven't seen the first two terminators, you should go watch them again! and then watch the third one; it will be a very very worthwhile experience14 "Lord of the Ring - Two towers" - very very nice movie. For those that do love Lord of the Ring, should get the DVD when it comes out! (as for me, I don't plan to buy the DVD until all three movies are made into one single nice package...)15 "Harry Potter - Chamber of Secrets" Nice movie..but I have read all 5 books, and I think books are 100 times better than the movie is. Besides, the snake looks like a giant lizard... Snakes dont' have feet..16 "Anger Management" - If you love Adam Sandler, this movie is not as funny as Mr. Deeds..but I would definitely want to shoot Jack in the head since I am a Lexus owner (hint: he let the Lexus drop off the parking structure...)17 "Finding Nemo" - For those that crave for Pixar animation! you got it! The movie is made to respect the creator of "Toy Stories" and "Monster Inc", Glenn McQueen 1960~2002... RIPFuture DVD that you guys may be interestedPirates of CaribbeanBad Boys IIAmerican WeddingLegally Blonde 2 (I know I know..but I like that movie because it is about animal rights)

Guest ThunderRiver
  If you have the hours to spare, I recommend:    * Band Of Brothers    * Cowboy Bebop - The Perfect Sessions
Band of brothers ( Great movie )if you want to waste some more time Steven Speilbergs " The Perfect Storm 2" after watching the entire movie :lol: :D :lol: :D :unsure: Actually it wasn't too bad . It was on tv though , I don't watch too many dvds got the player just don't use it much .
The Perfect Storm is based on the true story. It is a sad but excellent movie.A few movies that I don't recommendGigiliAngel EyeEnoughMaid in Manhattan.bad acting from J-Lo.

I had the title mixed up Thunder River I was talking about "Steven Kings the Perfect Storm" . It was based on an Island Community that was visited by a creature ( supposedly the Devil Himself ) who killed several residents and ultimately made them give up one of their children . Sorry about that :rolleyes:The original Perfect Storm was as you said an excellent movie and based on a true story .

I had the title mixed up Thunder River I was talking about  "Steven Kings the Perfect Storm" . It was based on an Island Community that was visited by a creature ( supposedly the Devil Himself ) who killed several residents and ultimately made them give up one of their children . Sorry about that
ooOOOoo!!! Thank goodness! I finally found someone else that saw that. My problem is that i only saw the first part! And i'm dying to know how it ended!!.The Pianist is one of the best movies that i have seen in a loooong time. Extremely sad and touching. But, of course, i may be biased lol. I also wish they did a little more with the chello player, but, the story line couldn't be the same. The song she played is one of my all time favorites. But, i am ashamed to say that i don't know the name of it! If anyone could point me in the right direction, i would love it.I also like the 25th Hour. Very interesting movie. I did not like phone booth though. It was sort of boring IMHO. The Matrix reloded was good, but i didn't think it was nearly as good as the first one.I don't know what it is about Adam Sandler, but i just can seem to like him. But, i would say that anger management was one of his better movies. Pirates of the Carribean was good. I loved Jack Sparrow's charater. I thought he was very funny, and perfect for the role.Legally Blond II i didn't like. I thought the first one was funny, but i just don't think the other one was funny for some reason. I know that they are both kind of stupid, but the first one did have some very funny parts. I have only really seen half of American Wedding. I saw it at a drive in, where you get the sound through your car radio. Well, we ran out of battery ;) So i wasn't paying too much attention when there was no sound. I was thinking more along the lines of getting the car started again :(ThunderRiver: as soon as you brought up sub titles, i thought of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. I know it's not a new movie. But i love it :lol: One of my favorite movies of all time.

Guest LilBambi

I can hardly wait to see LOTR: The Two Towers!I loved the first one, Fellowship of the Ring and I will try to rent The Two Towers very soon :)I eventually want to buy the entire trilogy.

13 "Terminator III" - watch the third one; it will be a very very worthwhile experience16 "Anger Management" - If you love Adam Sandler, this movie is not as funny as Mr. Deeds..Future DVD that you guys may be interestedBad Boys II
thunderriver, most of movies you listed are great recommendations, but let me warn people about these 3 in particular, coz it can save you 5+ hours of your life. ;) RANT: ONT3 - cool effects, but story is a mangled regurgitated plot of T2. period. nothing else. even has MAJOR plot error, when Arnie doesnt follow John Connors directions because he wasnt programmed by him, but by his future wife. hmm, in T2, he DID follow John Connors directions because he was the programmer. how stupid do they think the audience is? you could tell James Cameron wasnt in charge of this one. this was a "vote Arnold for Governor" 2 hour pre-campaign ad.Anger Management: not as funny as mr. deeds? wow, and i thought mr. deeds was sandler's worst movie after little nicky. i have yet to find a single joke in Mr. Deeds. Sandler is way over-rated, and if he strays outside of his "Waterboy"-type acting, he bombs every time.BB2: watched it for about 10 minutes. got out of movie theater and got my money back. the KKK drug-smuggling cult thing at the start was unwatcheable. and then the scene in club with people taking xtc, rolling it on their tongues like its some sweet tasting candy and then that guy who starts shaking like he got electrocuted, well, it makes me think not a single soul on the entire production has ever done xtc personally or known people who do it or talked to any addicts or ravers. its almost like they heard about xtc from Mr. Ashcroft. note to producers: if you're gonna do a drug movie, do your reasearch like "trainspotting" or "traffic" or "blow" or "groove" or "sample people" or "spun" or "cheech and chong" or any other drug movie has obviously done. its like the plot was written by a class of 12 year old boys. rant: OFF

Yo guys! This thread was supposed to be for movies that you would recommend to others - not for critque exchanges, complaints, movies you WOULDN'T recommend or whatever other tangents you can think of. Please try and stick to the subject. I'm surprised at the small amount of participation in this thread. I guess not too many people here watch or have seen good movies lately. :D

Guest genaldar

One small correction Prelude. The terminator in T2 was destroyed at the end. The terminator in T3 is just the same model, not the same machine. Which the terminator points out in the winnebago scenes. His model was chosen because of John's attachment to that model type. And since it has nothing to do with the unit that John programmed it wouldn't listen to him at all.btw I really liked Punch Drunk Love. Very weird but very good. Also if you're looking into getting the Two Towers on DVD, rent it now and wait until November to buy the director's cut.

Yo guys!  This thread was supposed to be for movies that you would recommend to others - not for critque exchanges, complaints, movies you WOULDN'T recommend or whatever other tangents you can think of.  Please try and stick to the subject. I'm surprised at the small amount of participation in this thread.  I guess not too many people here watch or have seen good movies lately. :o
hey, its the water cooler. anything goes here, thread hijacking is allowed :blink: want a good recommendation? Sample People, an Aussie flick about rave culture, starring Kylie Minogue.genaldar: woah, you watched the winebago scene? there was too much talky, not enough action, so i think thats when i took a washroom break. my bad. :blink:

OK Prelude, so be it.btw: I liked T3. The action scenes are getting as unbelievable as something out of a James Bond flick, particularly that one with the wrecker. But it did fill in some holes in the story and now we know how the machines took over. That babe was hot!!! If Arnold gets to be Governor of CA, will there be a T4?????? Do the Hu-Mans (as the Ferengi pronouce it) win?

Guest LilBambi

If you liked LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring ... I think you will really like LOTR: The Two Towers too ... definitely worth the rental now even if you intend to buy it later ... I intend to purchase the entire set once it is all out.Just saw it this weekend and I really enjoyed it.Can't wait for the LOTR: The Return of the King!They did an amazing job on these films and despite some license in presentation of the story line, they did a wonderful job of preserving and nurturing the heart and soul of Tolkien's work ... something no one else has been able to do to date...IMHO :lol:

Edited by LilBambi

Guest genaldar

The question is would Arnold be in T4 anyway? I mean it'll be the beginning of the resistance so the t500 (Arnold's model) won't even be developed yet.Yep I watched the winnebago scene. I'm such a huge Terminator fan (saw t2 in the theater when I was 11, took me and my 12 year old brother days to talk her into taking us to it) that I savored every minute of it.SPOILER!I thought it was really clever that they took the development of the internet during the last 12 years into account in the ending. I mean it was fitting that in 1991 it was a single computer, but to make it related to the internet and how the internet has become part of many peoples everyday lives. Very cool.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! You've got to see Confidence with Dustin Hoffman and Edward Burns. Great movie! It's about con men/grifters. Warning: Matchstick Men is currently playing in theaters with a similar theme. Absolutely boring, a total waste of time and money.The Core is a little far fetched but interesting if you are into the science fiction genre.BulletProof Monk is cutesy but worth renting also.

If you haven't, you need to rent Equilibrium. A straight-to-DVD masterpiece! One of the best action movies I've ever seen... Picture: the Matrix with good acting :huh:

If you haven't, you need to rent Equilibrium.  A straight-to-DVD masterpiece!  One of the best action movies I've ever seen...  Picture:  the Matrix with good acting :)
It's interesting that the critics mostly panned the movie (the NY Times actually gave it a ZERO) but independent viewers seemed to give it a thumbs up across the board. I think I'll give it a try...http://www.metacritic.com/video/titles/equilibrium/