windows updates

ixi1456

i have just aquired a desk top comp ( second hand ) with which i think has a copy of xp pro as there is no windows disk with it and the person i got it of did not have one only a copy version anyway i have tried to download windows update but sofar it has taken seven hours just to down load 14 patches and when it starts to install it starts and then after a few hours and just 3 green squares on the counter thing the whole computer freezes i have tried several times but its the same i have downloaded mp3s without any trouble its only the win updates i have run tests on pc pitstop and the down load and up loads are fine i have a broadband conection a speed of 576 kbps so no probs there is there somthing in the sp1 that knows when your using a copy cd or is it somthing else if its a copy thing how can i uninstall xp and put on win me as i have a bought original cd of it. any help would be apreceated.thanks in advance .glenni am running win xp pro with 1 gig+ of memory with an elite k7- va m/board

how can i uninstall xp and put on  win me as i have a bought  original cd of it.
The best way is to just go and put in your windows ME disk and when it gets to the option of where to put it let it format your hard drive. Otherwise you will be in trouble later on when files are overwritten or mixed up!

Welcome to the forums, ixi1456.Teacher's suggestion should work best for you, since you don't want to keep the XP anyway. I wonder if the original owner used a "hacked" or corporate license key for the copy of XP. I wonder that, because if update detects that key, it won't allow updates to go through. Either way...go with the reformat and ME full install.

i have tried what teacher said but it says that it will not run in 2000 i have checked the disk and it is an upgrade for m.e i have also tried to format in safe mode with prompt but it says the disk is being used and will not format it is all lost or is there another way to format my disk with this copy of xp on. i have asked the person who sold me the comp and they say its a copy and the number was changed by a keychanger when he installed it so another reason to take off the copy and get legal as they say any more sugestions would be gratfully received.thanks glenn

HeyWhat you might want to try is go to BOOTDISK.COM and grab a 98 or ME boot disk.Usually a floppy)Fdisk the partion and format. Create new partions...(hmmm hee hee leave space for linux..I know shameless plug)reboot w/ cd-rom support and select the CD drive at the DOS Prompt (usually E: enter setup at the prompt.. Do you have anything other then a ME upgrade? if not you'll have a problem doing a clean install..if you have win98 (or a restore disk with win98 or Me May work) put the in the cd-rom when it look for qualifying OS..in browse point to the windows folder..That will qualify the os and install ME.As far as SP1 goes..I am assuming you are trying the express download...you might want to try the network version 133MB ..However.it appears that you have a bad copy.so that really isn't an issue..if in doubt D/l aida32 find your key and check with MS..usually MS will let you know if your version is illegal with a pop-up.