SMC7004ABR and MSN Dialup

cacroll

My mother dials in to MSN (DOHH) using the MSN dialin wizard, thru the internal modem, with no protection. I replaced that with an SMC7004ABR NAT router, with an external modem. I extracted the userid and password from the MSN sequence, and applied them to the ABR Setup. But when I try to connect from the ABR, it reports "Username and Password : failed".Mom verified for me that I got the userid and password right.Can MSN work with a hardware configured dialin, or is the wizard essential?

My mother dials in to MSN (DOHH) using the MSN dialin wizard, thru the internal modem, with no protection. I replaced that with an SMC7004ABR NAT router, with an external modem. I extracted the userid and password from the MSN sequence, and applied them to the ABR Setup. But when I try to connect from the ABR, it reports "Username and Password : failed".Mom verified for me that I got the userid and password right.Can MSN work with a hardware configured dialin, or is the wizard essential?
Cacroll, welcome. First, I don't use MSN. I think contacting them might be the quickest and easiest since there doesn't seem to be a MSN user in the forum. I know several people that use a dial-up modem and a router/firewall combination.You have added two new pieces of hardware. Can you login using just the external modem? If it is a wizard why can't you make an identical dial up account pointed to the ext. modem? If you can, then you need to look at the router set-up again.In most cases with a standalone dial-up, a free software firewall is plenty of protection: Zone Alarm, Outpost, and Tiny just to name a few.Let us know what you find.Ken