Ugh... Thunderbird.... Moving mail folders?

Mike Healan

Mike Healan

grrrrrr............... Programmers can be so STUPID sometimes.... I put Thunderbird on my D:\ drive SPECIFICALLY so I could backup and restore my C:\ drive without losing my mail. I just discovered this bloody thing has been storing all of my mail in the C:\docs and settings folder!How can I SAFELY move all that over to D:\? Just move the whole works and then Open Firebird's paths in each and every account to point at the new location? Or set the paths ahead of time? Or what? I have things to do here and need to restore this disk afterward, but I can't afford to lose the email I've sent/received since the image was made.

Easiest way is to run the program with a -p at the end and it'll open up a profile manager where you can create a new profile wherever you want... You can then copy the old profile info into the new one and you'll be all set...basically, do Start -> Run... and then "X:\tbirdlocation\thunderbird.exe" -p (all quotes included) and it'll give you the profile option. :D

Mike Healan

Thanks.... That more or less worked. I had a bad moment when I deleted my old profile. All my mail disappeared! For some reason, the settings were still pointing to the old folders and not the new, but manually changing the paths for each account fixed that.

Easiest way is to run the program with a -p at the end and it'll open up a profile manager where you can create a new profile wherever you want...  You can then copy the old profile info into the new one and you'll be all set...basically, do Start -> Run...  and then "X:\tbirdlocation\thunderbird.exe" -p  (all quotes included) and it'll give you the profile option. :)
i was JUST gonna ask how to run Thunderbird with profiles, and you answered it before i posted the questionthanks, mind-reader :D p.s. - i'm runnin Moz 1.4, AND Firebird 0.6.1 and thunderbird 0.1i LOVE thunderbird email, gonna use it as my main one, but not 100% impressed with firebird (it is faster, has nice themes, but theres already been a couple of simple websites that work in Mozilla but NOT in firebird.)weird :( p.s. , its this site http://members.aol.com/axcel216/2k1.htmtart/