Windows Longhorn

epp_b

Search for another help topic. Try Product Activation. Try Remote Assistance. Try Windows Update?I just tried a search for Windows Update and it now reads Last Updated Sunday, August 31st, 2003.I just fired up Help and Support in Windows Server 2003 Web Edition and clicked on Help and Support and after the screen finished poping up... it listed itself as updated Sunday, August 31st, 2003. I did not have to search for anything for it to update itself. It did it on it's own... Cool!

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• epp_b

• ibe98765

• Marsden11

• Prelude76

Guest LilBambi
"I had an enormous reservoir of goodwill towards Microsoft because it and it alone – unlike Xerox, Apple, Amiga and many others who tried before it – was the one that finally delivered a usable graphical interface on ubiquitous, inexpensive hardware. Microsoft often wasn't the first, and its software wasn't often the best, but it was inarguably the one that delivered on the early promise of personal computing in a way no other software maker did. Microsoft – more than any other company – opened up computing for ordinary people. I loved Microsoft for that."– Fred Langa
The above quote is quoted here from: The SitePoint article: The Real History of the GUIThese are the admirable roots from which I think Microsoft has lost sight.

Cluttermagnet
"I had an enormous reservoir of goodwill towards Microsoft because it and it alone – unlike Xerox, Apple, Amiga and many others who tried before it – was the one that finally delivered a usable graphical interface on ubiquitous, inexpensive hardware. Microsoft often wasn't the first, and its software wasn't often the best, but it was inarguably the one that delivered on the early promise of personal computing in a way no other software maker did. Microsoft – more than any other company – opened up computing for ordinary people. I loved Microsoft for that."– Fred Langa
The above quote is quoted here from: The SitePoint article: The Real History of the GUIThese are the admirable roots from which I think Microsoft has lost sight.
Thanks, LilBambi-I remember reading Fred's words in prime time when he wrote that. I agreed then and I agree now. That which grows, changes. Too bad they changed their focus so much, but maybe it all was inevitable.An interesting, fun article and I enjoyed reading it- all except the caveman part which was a bit lame. A bit long, as they warned it would be. Got half way through it. Will finish later.

Guest LilBambi

Cluttermagnet,I hear ya on the length of the article, I had Peedy, Microsoft Agent character read it to me ;)I too feel that is the case. Between the time I posted my thoughts on this above and today, a mutual friend sent me the following article from the IHT: Internetational Herald Tribune (France) from the pages of their electronic edition for today, September 1, 2003:Microsoft enters middle age, story by Steve Lohr and John Markoff/NYT

Only Microsoft, Gates said, has the skills, money and focus to put all the software pieces together - a concept the company calls "integrated innovation" - to deliver the promise of the digital world, at low cost, to hundreds of millions of people and hundreds of thousands of companies.
There's a lot of interesting information in this article as well as comparisons between, and differences between other technology giants who have gone before Microsoft who had hit maturity or middle age as the article title states.
Asked how he would describe the Microsoft culture today, Ballmer replied: "I'd still say hard core works pretty well - but I'll put one little difference on there. Hard core means passionate. Hard core means intense. And hard core also needs to encompass this value we call open and respectful, which is you can be hard core, sometimes so passionate, so excited, so over the edge that you're not as respectful as you need to be to other people."
Amen.Ballmer it appears is not an arrogant leader...He at least recognizes truth when he sees it.I hope that Google News will later today pick up the original article at the New York Times so folks can read it there as well. I hate the format at IHT. LOL! :rolleyes: Edited by LilBambi

Another might well be Remote Assistance... best thing ever for helping family members that live out of state...
A good thing, maybe...but freightening to think of security vulnerabilities it may have.

all this talk about new OS needs new computer is pure bull. i just tried windows 2003 server. it runs LEANER than win2000 (uses less RAM). i got it down to only running at 60mb RAM on boot up, and thats with Anti-Virus and Firewall. the leanest i could get win2000 is 70mb, and XP down to 85mb. windows 2003 also boots up faster than both windows 2000 and windows XP, in about 5 seconds flat, and this is on an Athlon 800mhz. no Ghz anywhere in my system. ;) and this is an OS that is NEWER than even XP. and dont even say "thats because its a server version, and has everything disabled". i compared mem usage and boot up speeds after enabling all 3D graphics acceleration, audio acceleration, latest directx and everything. my point: it IS possible to make a newer OS that has all latest goodies and stability, and make it run even faster than previous OS versions on the SAME HARDWARE. its just that MS "CHOOSES" not to do so to their commercial OS so they can add more sales to hardware companies. not saying its a bad thing, but software and hardware people work hand in hand to keep you spending. same goes for cars. they *COULD* make an all-aluminum composite-header car that lasts 30+ years, include stainless steel exhaust systems, etc, but why when they want you to buy a new car every 5 years? ;)