Deterministic Network Enhancer kills intranet w/INTEL PRO1000/GT

jeffw_00

Hi - I just upgraded my WinXP Home SP3 system. New MOBO is an Intel 945GTP motherboard, new NIC is an Intel PRO1000/GT.Problem is this: With "Deterministic Network Enhancer" checked for the PRO1000 network connection, my intranet file transfers (PC to PC, through a Netgear Gb switch) slow to a ridiculously slow crawl (and this is a real problem, as my PC is also the home file server for backups).With "Deterministic Network Enhancer" unchecked, everything works great!, and my CISCO VPN connects as usual, BUT then trying to use RealVNC (The only app I run over VPN) fails - can't find host by name. I think Cisco VPN needs DNE to run. My old system (with integrated Marvell 1Gb/s NIC) worked fine for both applications. I'm not real expert on the DNE, but was wondering if any had any ideas on how to debug. Right now I'm checking/unchecking it for the NIC based on what i'm doing (sigh)Thanks!/j(and yes, I have the latest NIC drivers 8-})

Edited by jeffw_00

have a look at http://www.kwcpa.com/screenshot.pdfIs it possible that the history of "hidden" DNE's is causing my problems? If so, how do I clean then out? XP won't let me uninstall any old ones manually, says they may be needed to boot the computer. the only stuff I'm using right now are the Cisco VPN, and GT1000 #2.Thanks!/jWhen 'hidden' isn't checked, there are only 2 entries under network adapters, the GT1000 #2 and CIsco Vpn

Edited by jeffw_00

Hello,It is third-party software, just like the Cisco VPN application. It looks like the company was acquired by Citrix and updates can be found here on Citrix' site.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

However - i discovered that this "new" (actually, new-to-me, but used- came from company liquidation sale) PC had a bad sata controller. So, since I got 2 identical machines, I swapped. other machines seems to work well (at least, no copy issues like I had with the first one), but I still have the DNE issue. BUT, the problem with the first PC puts the upgrade itself into question, so I also plan to re-run the repair install tonight and see if that fixes it... thoughts?/j

I actually got a quick response from a senior engineer at Citrix - pointed me to newest DNE. I uninstalled Cisco (4.8), uninstalled DNE, reinstalled latest DNE, reinstalled latest Cisco (5.0.3) and all is well.This would have been a "Duh!" thread, except that I had no idea DNE was a separate non-microsoft component...thanks!/j

Edited by jeffw_00

unfortunately, my network is still slow - it seems to alternate, with no apparent reason, between about 85Mb/s and 250Mb/s. My only explanation is that my cables 'barely' support Gb ethernet so it is alternating between Gb mode (where it can sustain 250Mb/s due to system limitations) and 10/100 mode (where it nearly maxes out the link).I've got cat-5 cables but they're only about 6' -10' from Netgear Gb switch to each machine..thoughts?/j

Hello,If you think the speed problem is related to the cables, I would suggest replacing the cables on a pair of machines with tested Cat 6 cables, unplugging any other devices from the switch which might interfere and then see if you can saturate the link between the two hosts by performing file copies, multimedia streaming and any other bandwidth-intensive activities you can perform.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

Ok, now I have 2 new PCs, both with Intel PRO-1000/GT Gb NIC, both with 7' Cat-6 cables connected to Gb Netgear Switch.However, file transfer speeds are consistent with 10/100 performance.My old machines (same setup), had Marvel Integrated GB NIC and performed 2-3x better. Wish I could figure out how to get the Intel cards to perform....any ideas?/j

Hello,Gigabit Ethernet devices should automatically negotiate the fastest connection (1,000Mbps, full-duplex), so you may need to look at the network driver's settings and see if there are any settings you can optimize, such as enabling TCP checksum offloading or jumbo frame support. Unfortunately, the computer I am on has Marvell 88E8056 NICs in it, so I do not know exactly what these settings will be called on an Intel PRO1000/GT NIC, but they would most likely be accessed through the Device Manager (filename: DEVMGMT.MSC) on the Advanced tab for the network adapter.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

Thanks Goretsky. I DO get an Gb connection occasionally (5% of the time or so) so I know it's possible. I would think the default settings would allow for it. It just seems like these cards are very picky about when they think conditions are good enough for it.../j