Home Network

epp_b

I have a small home network setup like so:network_diagram.gifHere's my situation:

• Computer 1 can see computer 2 (computer 2 has several files and folders shared, full access and password protected)
  • Computer 2 can see computer 1 (computer 1 has several files and folders being shared, as well as a printer, all shared full access with NO passwords)
  • The Notebook can only see computer 2 when it is connected as so, and not computer 1. But when I connect the notebook to the network on which computer 2 is now connected, it can see computer 1. Nothing can see the notebook, because it does not have file or print sharing enabled (that's the way I intended it)
  • The notebook does NOT share any files

All of the computers are on the same workgroup and run on Windows 98SE.

• The router has access control disabled and DHCP enabled.
  • TCP/IP and NetBEUI are installed on computer 2 and the notebook.
  • NetBEUI is NOT installed on Computer 1.
  • File sharing is bound to both protocols (TCP/IP & NetBEUI) on computer 2.
  • File & Print sharing is bound to TCP/IP on computer 1.

Any suggestions on how I can get the laptop to see computer 1?

That's one thing that I'm thinking of doing.But what's odd is that when I use computer 2's network cable on the laptop, the laptop can see computer 1.Maybe I should try swaping them and see what you happens.

OK, the problem is not with the network or any the protocols or bindings.For some reason, I have to reboot my laptop shortly after starting it up, in order to have any access to the network or the internet.I use a PCMCIA network card on the laptop. Could it be a problem with it initializing the 1st time at startup?

Hard to say; however, I've experienced intermittent disconnect problems with PCMCIA network adapters on some laptops before, too.

Hmmm...I think that if I leave the PCMCIA card in the slot, it works without rebooting first.If I take it out and put it back in (with the computer shut down), then boot up, I have to reboot before I get a connection. Weird.

Ya, ya ibe98765, we both that know you and I have been going on quite a while about 98 & XP in the Discussion on Longhorn and MS's upcoming OS's.Actually, I talked with someone who has a similar problem with their integrated LAN and their USB Wireless LAN Adapter. He has to release the integrated LAN adapter with winipcfg before the USB adapter can be used.All I should actually have to do is use winipcfg to renew the IP every time I decide to unplug it. No big deal.