Firefox hacked! thanks...

striker

Howto Remove the .NET Framework Assistant 1.0 from Firefox:(The newest (3.5 SP1) .NET installs an extension (Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant 1.0) for Firefox (you guessed right: without asking) and even alters the user agent.)http://nambulous.wordpress.com/2008/08/23/...0-from-firefox/More here:http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread....054#post1401054http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum...2&forumId=1 :thumbsdown:

I just removed .Net3.5 SP1 and then hid the update. The only program I know of that will need this is the next release of Paint.net. Firefox seems to be faster now. :thumbsdown:

Are you guys talking about Microsoft Vista? Because my wife has a pirate copy of XP on her machine so she cannot install updates. And I installed Windows 7 on my machine but since it is good only until the summer I have no intend of installing updates. I looked into the info above but I cannot find a "run" on Win7.Anyway I think I should be safe being behing a router and having a good antivirus ( antivr ) on my wife's machine.Any thought?

Are you guys talking about Microsoft Vista? Because my wife has a pirate copy of XP on her machine so she cannot install updates. And I installed Windows 7 on my machine but since it is good only until the summer I have no intend of installing updates. I looked into the info above but I cannot find a "run" on Win7.Anyway I think I should be safe being behing a router and having a good antivirus ( antivr ) on my wife's machine.Any thought?
XP Pro SP3 here.
Anyway I think I should be safe being behing a router and having a good antivirus ( antivr ) on my wife's machine.
Sorry réjean, I don't think so. Better to completely disconnect that machine from the network. And if I were you and would have the money, get at least a system builder XP SP3, Vista or if it can't take that some linux distro.@Gary: another program that requires .NET, in this case at least 3.0, is CDBurner XP Pro.

Yes I just found out that the version of Paint.net that I am using does require, so I will install it again and follow the instructions on how to get it out of Firefox. Thanks.

Another reason not to use automatic updates.I have exactly one program that requires .NET (or I wouldn't have it at all) and it's fine with 1.1.
You're jumping to conclusions too fast here. Automatic updates weren't even enabled on a machine from a lady I know.However she was offered that update. How's that you ask?Simple: the person was using Microsoft Update to hunt down any updates she might need for her machine, that's where she was offered this update as a security update.Luckily she had an image so all she had to do was restoring that image.For those of you ending up with this 'update' and want to get rid of it, and there's no other possibility left, well may be this one gets it done:Removal tool to fix .NET Framework install failureshttp://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/200.../08/406671.aspxHowever, read exactly the warnings given here.

i'm only surprised that it was superficial enough to be caught that easily.it could be mis-direction away from whatever m $ is really trying to do.but i'm sure that will surface some days down the road too...psthanks striker for the initial post & the cleanup tool.
No problem Temmu, I was one of those suffering from it. However, I had made an image so it was just a restore and 12 minutes later I was back in business.

You're jumping to conclusions too fast here. Automatic updates weren't even enabled on a machine from a lady I know.However she was offered that update. How's that you ask?Simple: the person was using Microsoft Update to hunt down any updates she might need for her machine, that's where she was offered this update as a security update.Luckily she had an image so all she had to do was restoring that image.For those of you ending up with this 'update' and want to get rid of it, and there's no other possibility left, well may be this one gets it done:Removal tool to fix .NET Framework install failureshttp://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/200.../08/406671.aspxHowever, read exactly the warnings given here.
She did not have to choose to install it. B)

She did not have to choose to install it. :rolleyes:
:D Yep, that's right Gary. However, when you're not an expert and you'll get an update offered by Microsoft for security reasons, what do you do?We here at Scots most of the time know how to handle such things, because we have learned that here and at other places we frequent. But most users, and that includes the lady from above, are just users, not experts. And we should not see those ordinary users as experts. Instead we should try to teach them a couple of things. Fortunately the lady from above had an image from the system: one of the things she learned how to handle during the time. But you can not just throw everything one needs to know into ones throat within one day, that's mission impossible.

I had an older woman ask me about the NET 3.5 patch and if she should install it. My rule of thumb, if it is in the 2nd or 3rd tier, mostly ignore. If it is in the first tier security/critical, look everything over and usually you choose to install all of those.For me, MS keeps wanting me to install IE 7 and placing it in the critical/secure section, so I can not select - don't offer this to me any more. I found it very interesting that IE 7 and IE 8 needed patches on Tuesday but IE 6 didn't. I know if IE 6 needed patching, it would have been offered by MS. So I have to wonder if IE 7 is more secure than IE 6.

I had an older woman ask me about the NET 3.5 patch and if she should install it. My rule of thumb, if it is in the 2nd or 3rd tier, mostly ignore. If it is in the first tier security/critical, look everything over and usually you choose to install all of those.For me, MS keeps wanting me to install IE 7 and placing it in the critical/secure section, so I can not select - don't offer this to me any more. I found it very interesting that IE 7 and IE 8 needed patches on Tuesday but IE 6 didn't. I know if IE 6 needed patching, it would have been offered by MS. So I have to wonder if IE 7 is more secure than IE 6.
I believe that MS is no longer supporting IE 6 and that is probably why there were no updates.@Striker Yes , I can see your point. :thumbsup:

Gary, this is not true. I run 2K, which is supported through July 14th 2009. As you know, IE 7 can not be installed on 2K so in order to provide security updates for those of us continuing to run 2K, MS will provide security updates for our browser until July of this year. And yes, I have gotten recent security updates for IE6. I'm not on a windows computer at the moment or I would look at my update history.

Gary, this is not true. I run 2K, which is supported through July 14th 2009. As you know, IE 7 can not be installed on 2K so in order to provide security updates for those of us continuing to run 2K, MS will provide security updates for our browser until July of this year. And yes, I have gotten recent security updates for IE6. I'm not on a windows computer at the moment or I would look at my update history.
That is why I said"I believe" . :thumbsdown: It does and did end for some, see the site below. http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifesupsps...ternet_Explorer

From my update history...this is the newest for IE6IE6_security_update.jpg
Support ends 24 months after the next service pack releases or at the end of the product's support lifecycle, whichever comes first. Visit the Lifecycle page to find the support timelines for your particular product.
According to MS support will end as shown above. The above is for Win 2000 SP4 , so I take it that support will end 24 months after SP4 was released. If support only means call in support or if updates will still be available I don't know. You would have to read deeper into the article. I would not use IE 6. or 7 or 8. B) But if I had to I would use IE7.

Gary, I don't use IE but I do patch it since MS tied it in with the OS. I want as few holes as possible. I keep telling everyone who uses another browser that they still have to keep IE patched.I do the majority of my browsing in linux but I do have to browse in windows once in awhile.

Gary, I don't use IE but I do patch it since MS tied it in with the OS. I want as few holes as possible. I keep telling everyone who uses another browser that they still have to keep IE patched.I do the majority of my browsing in linux but I do have to browse in windows once in awhile.
That is a good practice. I install every update that MS offers.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Found another piece of crap which does the same ... Howto remove the unwelcome installed CANON iMAGE GATEWAY Album Plugin Utility Addon from Firefox.Installed Firefox version: 3.5.3OS: Vista Premium 64 bitProblem descriptionAfter having installed a new printer driver ( I got a new one :w00t: ) and some other wanted accompanying utilities, my eye caught a strange Addon in the Firefox Addon list.This one:CANON iMAGE GATEWAY Album Plugin Utility 3.0.0.0CANON iMAGE GATEWAY Album Plugin Utility ModuleIt can't be uninstalled nor removed, the only given option is Disabling it. It didn't ask me for my Yes or No during install of any of the components of the printer driver or its accompanying utilities, from which I only installed those that I wanted and not the other stuff anyway.A bit of research on my part showed it probably gets installed without any questions asked whatsoever when you install the Canon Easy-PhotoPrint EX Software from Canon USA. (Easy-PhotoPrint EX Ver. 3.0.3 Windows VistaVista64XP2000)Howto remove this :Make sure Firefox is closed.Open up the registry editor and locate this key: (in this case it was on a vista 64bit system) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@canon.com/EPPEXRicht click the key and export it (as a precautionary backup) to your Desktop or another covenient place. Name it: MozillaPlugins_canoncom.regNext, again right click the key mentioned above and select Delete.After the deletion of this key and its sub keys, the add on within Firefox should be gone. :thumbsup: note: What is this "CANON iMAGE GATEWAY"... see:http://www.cig.usa.canon.com/cu/en_US/support.htmlTo Canon : B)

To stop this crap from happening for once and for all, I opened up about:config, typed xpinstall. in the filter bar, hit enter, selected the entry:xpinstall. enableddouble clicked it and with that action changed the setting from True (which is the default, = allows extensions to be installed) to False (which results in the opposite).Hopefully that makes an end to this "leak" in the Fox. For this situation once there existed a UI, but that was removed in Firefox 1.5... it should come back ASAP if you ask me, now that more manufacturers/developers are going to use this "no questions asked" method of delivery of unwanted ^%$#@$$ :thumbsup:

If I change this, does that mean when I try to install an addon, of my choosing, I will get an error?I'm looking ahead because I just know I will forget I've changed this and wonder why I suddenly can not install an addon.

updateI was just checking manually for updates before the big one next Tuesday comes in... Guess what??? The Microsoft people got wind of me ditching "their" firefox extension for the .NET Framework. They really try to con me in again! They even pre-selected it. :thumbsup: Thanks but no thanks.2po4brl.jpg