Can't open .HTML files on local disk

e_scouter

When I try to open a .HTML file residing on my local hard disk with IE6, I get the infamous "This page cannot be displayed" error, but only if the .HTML file contains javascript. I can successfully open the exact same file if it's on the internet, outside of my home network. I'm running WinXP Home with all critical updates, with a DSL connection. My PCs are interconnected with a D-Link DI-604 router, and my ISP provides my IP addresses. I don't use Internet Connection Sharing or other such software. I'm not using a software firewall, since the router provides one. I use a family web filter called WeBlocker, which forces on the "Use a proxy server" option, but with a proxy server address of 127.0.0.1 (loopback). I have deinstalled WeBlocker, and the problem persists.

Do you have anything MS Office installed on your machine (Word, Excell, Powerpoint, Front Page -- anything that comes with MS Office)?It may have installed the script debugger, which can bring a system to it's knees in a hurry, especially when performing a debug, such as debugging Javascript. Hit CTRL+ALT+DEL. If you see MDM in your task list, close it.To remove it, go to the Add/Remove Programs applet, find the MS Office item, and remove the Script Debugger (it's somewhere in the heirarchy, I don't remember where, though)

brucekrymow

@Scout ~The first question I have is: what leads you to the conclusion the hangup revolves around javascripting?I will assume you have already enabled scripting in the options of your browser. The files you have stored locally...are they the identical web pages that you saved to disk? If so, are you sure any '.js' files are stored in the local source file or are they linked to a remote source file?@Kehoe ~Just to clear the way of any possible confusion, 'Java' and 'javascript' are two different beasts. taz.gif'Java', created by Sun Microsystems, is a complicated programming language that must be compiled into what is known as a 'machine language' and can stand and run by itself, independent of the HTML document. They are often referred to as 'applets' because they are in themselves little applications.'Javascript', created by Netscape, is text-based and much easier to understand and, unlike 'Java', is wholly reliant on the browser to understand it and make it come to life.